Paul Jeffrey

Premium
WRC 9 is just around the corner, and one of the new locations set to make an appearance in the game is the New Zealand Rally - with some first preview imagery from the states now out in the public domain.

Set to release on console and PC in September this year, with next gen console release slated for a little while afterwards, the ninth instalment of the WRC game series (can you believe we are on number 9 already?!?) looks to be shaping up rather nicely over at KT Racing - so much so that the studio have decided to release some preview footage from an early build version of the title - and already it looks fantastic.

As per usual, the upcoming game enjoys the official licence of the FIA World Rally Championship, this time taking the opportunity to recreate the 2020 season that is currently on hold, and as such returning favourites such as the Safari Rally in Kenya, Rally Japan and the featured Rally New Zealand.

Roads in New-Zealand are amongst the most beautiful and the most appreciated in the Championship’s history.” tells Benoît Gomes, Lead Level Designer at KT Racing.​

Famous for its fast chains of turns and a sustained pace rhythm, along with breath-taking landscapes, Rally New-Zealand truly offers a particular experience. A long preparation work allowed us to replicate, as closely as possible, the luxuriant vegetation, the light and unique ocean views, as well as the road’s topography and surfaces, mainly composed of gravel. We’re convinced that players will enjoy taking up this challenge as much as we did in WRC 9.” concludes Benoît Gomes.​

WRC 9 Key Features:
  • 3 new rallies: Japan, New Zealand, Kenya
  • Over 50 official teams and their livery from the WRC, WRC 2, WRC 3 and Junior WRC
  • Over 15 bonus cars that have left their mark on the history of the WRC
  • Exclusive new game modes soon to be discovered

WRC 9 will release on Xbox One, PS4, PC this September 3rd.

Want to know more about this new game? No worries, keep an eye out for the upcoming WRC 9 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow sim racing fans.

WRC 9 New Zealand 1.jpg
WRC 9 New Zealand 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've bought every release of these games since the beginning.

MIGHT take a break this year, unless they finally implement customizable online rallies with cumulative times rather than the usual single stage mode.

In reality, I'll probably end up pre-ordering so I can get all the classic vehicles :)

A whole "new" game for just 3 new rallies, a bunch of liveries and a few "historic" cars. Seriously they could have simply released a DLC for WRC8. Not that i care about any of KTs junk...i'm just saying...
What we also have to take in mind:
- There will be at least one location less compared to WRC 8 (according to the 2020 WRC Wikipedia page), even when including the postponed Italy and Argentina rounds and the cancelled event in Portugal.
- Citroen left the championship, so there is only three different current top-tier cars to choose from.
- Overall there will be a smaller number of cars to choose from because the developers have always done this based on the entries in the events completed by the time the game was released. So far only three events have taken place.

I wonder how they make money via Epic Store. I'm also a PC user refusing to install more than one gaming client.

So, Epic Store get the exclusive, then quite a few Steam users (who love racing/rallying) don't buy it. I base this statement on forums posts, and YouTube vid comments. How is it financially viable??

Hopefully, if enough of us aren't buying it, due to Steam being our client of choice, then this may be the last year (2 year deal?) that Epic gets an exclusive.

So - for the 2nd year running, sorry Kylotonn #NOSTEAMNOBUY

For me, the fact that there are few incremental improvements isn't so vital. In the main, most racing games in a 1 year cycle, are flawed - and see very few game-changing improvements.

I wonder how they make money via Epic Store. I'm also a PC user refusing to install more than one gaming client.

I'm against having all these different gaming clients too, but seems to be reality these days :/

However, GOG Galaxy 2.0 is pretty great, it combines Steam, Origin, Uplay, Rockstar Launcher, Epic Store etc. into one platform. So you need just one program to launch all your games. You don't have to see ads about GOG store or anything like that, it combines everything into one neat library, games start easily with just one click

Of course doesn't remove the need to install clients like Steam, Origin etc. first, if you bought the game on those. But at least launching can be done from one app, without having to juggle between multiple DRM interfaces and logins

You can add even singular game .exes manually, that aren't under any of those. For example old games etc.

Last edited:
I love people crying about a game being offered on a different store than the one they like (despite the fact the one they don't like is far more forthcoming to the game developers and publishers). It's so beautifully 2020 level of absurd. It's basically people demanding freedom of choice to be removed in favor of a monopoly because they hate the fact it would take them three clicks to start a different client.

I wonder how they make money via Epic Store.
I'm far from an expert, but I believe stores generally work by customers paying for the product on offer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%