Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
No VR, no buy.

I tolerated WRC 8 and F1 2019 without VR as VR was still a niche, but in 2020 that ain't the case anymore.

Honestly a new racing sim without VR support these days is like releasing a smartphone without a camera.

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.... VR is still a niche, as triple screens and even having a wheel... people should stop beeing self entitled. You are free to not like the fact it doesnt support VR, the rest of the comment is just non sense.. i have VR since HTC Vive was launched before you burn my soul...

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.... VR is still a niche, as triple screens and even having a wheel... people should stop beeing self entitled. You are free to not like the fact it doesnt support VR, the rest of the comment is just non sense.. i have VR since HTC Vive was launched before you burn my soul...

By what stretch of logic do you come to the conclusion that I'm being self entitled - I simply stated that if the product does not have the features that I want then I wouldn't buy it, and that if those features were missing then the product is behind the times. My opinion of course

And no, I won't burn your soul - I can't. Souls in the theological sense don't exist.

I adopted VR since the beggining, love it, has that uau factor but im well aware that it is a niche... stating otherwise is just not correct. Simple.

Then how do you explain that probably the most awaited video game in the entire history of gaming is being released on Monday as a VR only title?

Edit - this is going too far off topic - I'm out.

Driving sims should have VR tbh.. it's niche like the wheel, neither is niche among sim racers. VR a bit less common than a wheel but come on...

Anyone is allowed to say "No VR no buy" it's perfectly legit reason not to buy. Wreckfest sadly doesn't have VR, it's not a deal breaker for ME if the game is otherwise good (like Wreckfest), but heavy downside these days.

Automobilista 2 has now VR (and they really nailed the FFB with today's update), Automobilista 1 becomes redundant.

Also, considering these WRC titles have pretty small improvements per year. WRC8 might have felt like lots of content, since it was the first WRC game decent enough to buy for many simmers. But truth is, they will use mostly same content next year, and it will not be new. WRC8 already reused largely just WRC7 stages, which in turn reused WRC6 stages.They add just 3 countries, otherwise it's WRC8 stages with a face lift and perhaps minor changes. It will be also modern WRC focused again, mostly same cars again. Not extensive roster of historic cars like DR 2.0.

If in addition you don't even add VR, after Dirt Rally 2.0 has it...

Last edited:
But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.

But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.

I do remember that Broadbent needed to go to his "other shed" to test WRC 8 as it wouldn't work on his main rig.

Driving sims should have VR tbh.. it's niche like the wheel, neither is niche among sim racers. VR a bit less common than a wheel but come on...

Anyone is allowed to say "No VR no buy" it's perfectly legit reason not to buy. Wreckfest sadly doesn't have VR, it's not a deal breaker for ME if the game is otherwise good (like Wreckfest), but heavy downside these days.

Automobilista 2 has now VR (and they really nailed the FFB with today's update), Automobilista 1 becomes redundant.

Also, considering these WRC titles have pretty small improvements per year. WRC8 might have felt like lots of content, since it was the first WRC game decent enough to buy for many simmers. But truth is, they will use mostly same content next year, and it will not be new. WRC8 already reused largely just WRC7 stages, which in turn reused WRC6 stages.They add just 3 countries, otherwise it's WRC8 stages with a face lift and perhaps minor changes. It will be also modern WRC focused again, mostly same cars again. Not extensive roster of historic cars like DR 2.0.

If in addition you don't even add VR, after Dirt Rally 2.0 has it...

Which is what most racing sims do too. Is it better to have 5 sims with all the same tracks than a new WRC every year with mostly the same stages plus some new ones?

VR is absolutely not for everyone, I tried it once and it sucked. For me it feels nothing like driving a real racing/rally car. That kind of immersion just can't be recreated. I'll never ruin a sim with VR again.

I haven't had a problem with WRC 7 or 8 and I have both Fanatec and Thrustmaster. TBH I didn't have any issues with Loeb either.

VR is absolutely not for everyone, I tried it once and it sucked. For me it feels nothing like driving a real racing/rally car. That kind of immersion just can't be recreated. I'll never ruin a sim with VR again.
Not for everyone, no. Motion sickness, price point (not just for headset but hardware).

And no reality can't be copied with any VR headset. It gets closer than pancake screen though.

I wasn't that impressed by VR after testing CV1, Rift S had the much needed clarity that sold it for me. Still not where it could be, and will be after some years. I use bass shakers in addition, to bring some sense of "movement".

But you can't simply get into full realism, without racing for real. Doesn't mean you can't try. VR is and especially will be as close to realism as you can get at home, especially when resolutions go up.

Dirt Rally 2.0 got dirt (ehh) for reusing some IRL stages, and adding a bunch of new ones. WRC9 will add much less, re-use much more. And WRC stages aren't even real, they are fictional, so they can't even use that excuse ("F1 circuits are same each year too"). They are just saving cost/effort, by including same ones year after year. And the vehicles barely change either. All I'm saying, that you should add something to justify a new game...

And VR was very asked feature for Dirt Rally 2.0, the petitions and requests by community eventually made Codemasters change their mind about it... that should tell how important it was.

WRC6 even had an experimental VR support that was playable in gaming conventions for the press/audience, but it never made it into the full game. Why they ditched it after that, I have no idea

Anyway, physics and FFB better be pretty damn good, for me to touch WRC9. In WRC8 the FFB was not up to snuff, Dirt Rally 2.0 beats it in that too. Even if some things (tarmac, damage) were better than Dirt Rally 2.0

Last edited:
I have a Accuforce v2 base with usb converted Fanatec BMW rim. Fanatec v3 pedals. WRC 8 never mapped controls properly for me. Shame, as I could have probably spent considerable time playing it. Loeb also never worked with my csw v2.5.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 388 39.9%