WRC 9 | New FIA World Rally Game Set To Release This September

cmtr

75RPM
Mar 18, 2016
Driving sims should have VR tbh.. it's niche like the wheel, neither is niche among sim racers. VR a bit less common than a wheel but come on...

Anyone is allowed to say "No VR no buy" it's perfectly legit reason not to buy. Wreckfest sadly doesn't have VR, it's not a deal breaker for ME if the game is otherwise good (like Wreckfest), but heavy downside these days.

Automobilista 2 has now VR (and they really nailed the FFB with today's update), Automobilista 1 becomes redundant.

Also, considering these WRC titles have pretty small improvements per year. WRC8 might have felt like lots of content, since it was the first WRC game decent enough to buy for many simmers. But truth is, they will use mostly same content next year, and it will not be new. WRC8 already reused largely just WRC7 stages, which in turn reused WRC6 stages.They add just 3 countries, otherwise it's WRC8 stages with a face lift and perhaps minor changes. It will be also modern WRC focused again, mostly same cars again. Not extensive roster of historic cars like DR 2.0.

If in addition you don't even add VR, after Dirt Rally 2.0 has it...
Which is what most racing sims do too. Is it better to have 5 sims with all the same tracks than a new WRC every year with mostly the same stages plus some new ones?

VR is absolutely not for everyone, I tried it once and it sucked. For me it feels nothing like driving a real racing/rally car. That kind of immersion just can't be recreated. I'll never ruin a sim with VR again.

cmtr

75RPM
Mar 18, 2016
But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.
I haven't had a problem with WRC 7 or 8 and I have both Fanatec and Thrustmaster. TBH I didn't have any issues with Loeb either.

ShredatorFIN

500RPM
Aug 18, 2015
VR is absolutely not for everyone, I tried it once and it sucked. For me it feels nothing like driving a real racing/rally car. That kind of immersion just can't be recreated. I'll never ruin a sim with VR again.
Not for everyone, no. Motion sickness, price point (not just for headset but hardware).

And no reality can't be copied with any VR headset. It gets closer than pancake screen though.

I wasn't that impressed by VR after testing CV1, Rift S had the much needed clarity that sold it for me. Still not where it could be, and will be after some years. I use bass shakers in addition, to bring some sense of "movement".

But you can't simply get into full realism, without racing for real. Doesn't mean you can't try. VR is and especially will be as close to realism as you can get at home, especially when resolutions go up.

Dirt Rally 2.0 got dirt (ehh) for reusing some IRL stages, and adding a bunch of new ones. WRC9 will add much less, re-use much more. And WRC stages aren't even real, they are fictional, so they can't even use that excuse ("F1 circuits are same each year too"). They are just saving cost/effort, by including same ones year after year. And the vehicles barely change either. All I'm saying, that you should add something to justify a new game...

And VR was very asked feature for Dirt Rally 2.0, the petitions and requests by community eventually made Codemasters change their mind about it... that should tell how important it was.

WRC6 even had an experimental VR support that was playable in gaming conventions for the press/audience, but it never made it into the full game. Why they ditched it after that, I have no idea

Anyway, physics and FFB better be pretty damn good, for me to touch WRC9. In WRC8 the FFB was not up to snuff, Dirt Rally 2.0 beats it in that too. Even if some things (tarmac, damage) were better than Dirt Rally 2.0

Last edited:

tlsmikey

500RPM
Feb 24, 2016
Needs VR, triple screen support and some ffb polish for me to consider. I tried wrc8 and it wasn’t worth half its price.

Reactions: Foresight

Matt Byers

50RPM
Premium
Jan 27, 2016
But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.
I have a Accuforce v2 base with usb converted Fanatec BMW rim. Fanatec v3 pedals. WRC 8 never mapped controls properly for me. Shame, as I could have probably spent considerable time playing it. Loeb also never worked with my csw v2.5.

• Sad
Reactions: Jay Loop

gamer19

2000RPM
Aug 28, 2012
Personally, I love WRC 8, it's far from perfect but...
each year we get better and better OFFICIAL WRC game.
And I have no doubt WRC 9 will outperform its predecessor.
:)

Why bother buying it
Rally 2.0 rules
WRC Doesn't even support VR
Rally 2.0, hell yeah !
I mean... it's enough to just say Rally 2.0 and you know what game it is.
Right ?
Colin McRae Rally 2point0, a true legend !!! :thumbsup:

:rolleyes::cautious::alien:

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyCombat

ferrariftw1

25RPM
Nov 4, 2015
official fia titles (wrc, f1) must have vr support.me and all my friends that we are sim racers have the same complain.come on guys get it done.its not that difficult.

Dave Thayer

100RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
Like a few others, these days I really dont need another Rally game that wont provide VR as an option. I have Dirt Rally 1 and 2 that does provide VR and I have WRC 6 and 7. All these games fill my needs to do Rally racing and most the time I just do trial single runs, not career mode. I dont need the latest and greatest every year of this type of game since I do not follow Rally racing. They are just for entertainment to pass my time away. For those that want the latest and greatest in any game, have fun and hope you enjoy the game. take care.

felippekiss

100RPM
May 20, 2014
My option, the tools offered by Steam for the user that Epic "does not" offer yet, makes me not choose to use Epic. The fact that the slice $$$$$$$ that Epic charges the producer is smaller and that in theory it earns more per unit sold, would it not be overlapped by a higher number of sales if it were present on Steam even if biting a larger slice of $$$$$$$ per unit sold? At the end of the day, this larger slice that Steam charges is not only for the game itself but also for the tools and possibilities it offers the user as already mentioned that it does not yet have on Epic

Reactions: FllaviX

testdriver77

100RPM
Nov 1, 2015
So then i will for sure do not buy it at release. Well, bought Wrc8 and its not bad but insted to "polish" this product, they release new one. So i will skip it.....

Last edited:

ShredatorFIN

500RPM
Aug 18, 2015
I'd imagine it was the brown envelope full of mulah from Oculus that changed Codies minds, not the community outcry.
Yeah but the community outcry probably caught the attention of Oculus, for them to reach out. I know Oculus financed it, but maybe they saw an opportunity (that Codemasters didn't) after seeing people's reaction

Reactions: MoodyB

cmtr

75RPM
Mar 18, 2016
So then i will for sure do not buy it at release. Well, bought Wrc8 and its not bad but insted to "polish" this product, they release new one. So i will skip it.....
They have polished WRC8. What the **** do you expect, it's an official yearly game. Do you think Codemasters would "polish" F1 2019 for 2 years instead of releasing F1 2020?!

cmtr

75RPM
Mar 18, 2016
My option, the tools offered by Steam for the user that Epic "does not" offer yet, makes me not choose to use Epic. The fact that the slice $$$$$$$ that Epic charges the producer is smaller and that in theory it earns more per unit sold, would it not be overlapped by a higher number of sales if it were present on Steam even if biting a larger slice of $$$$$$$ per unit sold? At the end of the day, this larger slice that Steam charges is not only for the game itself but also for the tools and possibilities it offers the user as already mentioned that it does not yet have on Epic
What tools are you missing in Epic Store? I can't think of one thing that would be different to me if WRC8 was in Steam instead. So Epic charges the developer/publisher less than Steam, that's great. What's not to like? I wouldn't mind having everything in Steam since I have most games there, but it really is a huge non-issue to use Epic to launch another game.