WRC 9 | New FIA World Rally Game Set To Release This September

The ninth instalment of the WRC game franchise is set to hit our real and virtual store shelves this September 3rd.

Confirmed as due to release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this September, as well as for the upcoming Xbox X and PlayStation 5 at some stage later in the year, the next instalment of the WRC franchise is on the way!

With the current world health situation at an all time low, it is highly feasible the new WRC 9 game will be out for players to enjoy before the real world series gets back into full swing once again, giving gamers the unique opportunity of driving the 2020 FIA World Rally Championship cars and stages before the real world drivers get much of a chance to try out their own machines!

The new title will once again contain the teams, drivers and cars of the WRC, WRC 2, WRC 3 and Junior WRC categories - adding no less than 50 official teams and liveries into the game, plus following the real world series new locations in the form of Japan, New Zealand and Kenya will join the calendar for the latest iteration of the popular franchise.

For existing rallies carried over from WRC 8, the developers have confirmed these pre-existing locations will benefit from 'completely redesigned environments', hopefully giving the game a fresh look for those experienced within the franchise.

Also new for WRC 9 will be further enhanced physics of the cars, with KT Racing stating the following as part of the game announcement:

To improve and refine certain vehicle behaviours, the developers have again focused on the realism of car physics – including suspensions, braking and mass transfer – to take authenticity to the next level. This attention to detail faithfully reproduces the vehicles' responsiveness on all surfaces and in all conditions found in the real championship. A special focus on sound also provides deeper immersion.

In other WRC news, NACON and KT Racing have confirmed an exclusive licencing deal that sees the studio retain the rights for the yearly game franchise for another 3 years, confirming that WRC 9, 10 and 11 will all be developed over the coming years.

WRC 9 will release for Xbox One, PS4 and PC September 3rd, with release on Xbox X and PS5 and Nintendo Switch to be confirmed at a later date.

Want to know more about the simulation? Keep an eye out for the upcoming WRC 9 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - the ideal place to discuss the new title with fellow fans of sim racing and catch up on all the latest news.

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

Slapped

100RPM
Oct 2, 2019
No VR, no buy.

I tolerated WRC 8 and F1 2019 without VR as VR was still a niche, but in 2020 that ain't the case anymore.

Honestly a new racing sim without VR support these days is like releasing a smartphone without a camera.

Mar 7, 2007
I would also add that two rallies (from WRC8) will be entirely reworked.
Sweden? Mexico? Portugal? Italy? Finland? Great Britain ?
I hope Finland on one of the two.

Lino Carreira

100RPM
May 6, 2014
No VR, no buy.

I tolerated WRC 8 and F1 2019 without VR as VR was still a niche, but in 2020 that ain't the case anymore.

Honestly a new racing sim without VR support these days is like releasing a smartphone without a camera.
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.... VR is still a niche, as triple screens and even having a wheel... people should stop beeing self entitled. You are free to not like the fact it doesnt support VR, the rest of the comment is just non sense.. i have VR since HTC Vive was launched before you burn my soul...

Slapped

100RPM
Oct 2, 2019
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.... VR is still a niche, as triple screens and even having a wheel... people should stop beeing self entitled. You are free to not like the fact it doesnt support VR, the rest of the comment is just non sense.. i have VR since HTC Vive was launched before you burn my soul...
By what stretch of logic do you come to the conclusion that I'm being self entitled - I simply stated that if the product does not have the features that I want then I wouldn't buy it, and that if those features were missing then the product is behind the times. My opinion of course

And no, I won't burn your soul - I can't. Souls in the theological sense don't exist.

Lino Carreira

100RPM
May 6, 2014
I adopted VR since the beggining, love it, has that uau factor but im well aware that it is a niche... stating otherwise is just not correct. Simple.

Slapped

100RPM
Oct 2, 2019
I adopted VR since the beggining, love it, has that uau factor but im well aware that it is a niche... stating otherwise is just not correct. Simple.
Then how do you explain that probably the most awaited video game in the entire history of gaming is being released on Monday as a VR only title?

Edit - this is going too far off topic - I'm out.

ShredatorFIN

500RPM
Aug 18, 2015
Driving sims should have VR tbh.. it's niche like the wheel, neither is niche among sim racers. VR a bit less common than a wheel but come on...

Anyone is allowed to say "No VR no buy" it's perfectly legit reason not to buy. Wreckfest sadly doesn't have VR, it's not a deal breaker for ME if the game is otherwise good (like Wreckfest), but heavy downside these days.

Automobilista 2 has now VR (and they really nailed the FFB with today's update), Automobilista 1 becomes redundant.

Also, considering these WRC titles have pretty small improvements per year. WRC8 might have felt like lots of content, since it was the first WRC game decent enough to buy for many simmers. But truth is, they will use mostly same content next year, and it will not be new. WRC8 already reused largely just WRC7 stages, which in turn reused WRC6 stages.They add just 3 countries, otherwise it's WRC8 stages with a face lift and perhaps minor changes. It will be also modern WRC focused again, mostly same cars again. Not extensive roster of historic cars like DR 2.0.

If in addition you don't even add VR, after Dirt Rally 2.0 has it...

Last edited:

Jay Loop

10RPM
Nov 26, 2016
But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.

Slapped

100RPM
Oct 2, 2019
But what about device support? I don't know how it was for wrc 8 but any respectable racing game these days must have complete Fanatec/Logitech/Thrustmaster wheels support. I remember Sebastian Loeb Rally Evo not having wheel support for Fanatec and even external handbrake. Hopefully it's not the case for wrc 8 and wrc 9.
I do remember that Broadbent needed to go to his "other shed" to test WRC 8 as it wouldn't work on his main rig.