WRC9 WRC 9 | Back To Japan Gameplay Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
KT Racing and NACON have released a brand new gameplay trailer from WRC 9, showcasing the returning Rally Japan within the upcoming simulation.
  • Rally Japan returns for the first time since 2011.
  • WRC 9 is scheduled to release September 3rd.
  • Official videogame of the 2020 FIA World Rally Championship.

WRC 9 | First thoughts on gameplay footage: Click Here.

The official World Rally Championship videogame for 2020 is right around the corner (ok, a month away, but you get my drift), and in order to help the community get a better understanding of what to expect from WRC 9, the development team from behind the new title have released another new gameplay trailer - showing off the returning Rally Japan venue.

Set in the mountains and forests of the Aichi and Gifu districts, Rally Japan is a difficult and high speed asphalt event, and should (hopefully) make its return to the World Rally Championship this season after a nine year hiatus. Forming part of the default offering of WRC, Rally Japan joins the returning Kenya, and the new for this season New Zealand, alongside the remaining events from the originally scheduled 2020 calendar.

You can check out the new Rally Japan gameplay trailer here:

WRC 9 is set to feature no less than 50 official teams and liveries across the main WRC series and the supporting WRC 2, WRC 3 and JWRC, as well as over 15 'bonus' cars from the history of the championship. Alongside this, new gameplay formats are planned for the latest release, plus of course the official events from the original 2020 schedule.

WRC9_Screenshots_1_New_Zealand_Hyundai_2_4K.jpg

WRC 9 will release on Xbox One, PS4, PC this September 3rd.

Want to know more about this new game? No worries, check out the WRC 9 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow sim racing fans.

WRC9_Screenshots_1_New_Zealand_Ford_1_4K.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly no - WRC 8 felt way more grounded than DR2 which IMO feels more of a hovercraft simulator.

I have to admit that when it comes to rally I've no idea which represents realism the most - both are fun to play. And before anybody says RBR - I get it, but I missed the boat on that one.
Also Rally cars are kinda supposed to be that way. Can't have soft suspension that can absorb every bump while keeping you safe also give razor sharp steering feel.

No offense, but shove your wheelitism up your ass;-)
There are many reasons for using a gamepad over a wheel (cost, space, accessibility/disability++) and supporting different control devices should not be a constraint on developing an excellent simulator.

This is what smart companies do now days, support multiple controllers:

:) Well nothing against a little quickplay-mode implemented for casual drivers who prefer the common "Fly-above-slotcar-camera-with- all-aids-on-to-have -pretty-illusions-of-being-the-king-of-the-ring" but in truth are too lazy to get their butt off the couch and invest some dedication, time, money and effort.... btw. an acceptable 2nd hand wheel for starters is not that expensive compared to gamepads m8.

And above all I was talking about a true hardcore-rallysim (in the tradition of actual streetracing-sims like AC, ACC, rF2, RRE, a.s.o. with full community support, Dedis instead of "Racenet" or any kinda "Matchmaking" a.s.o.) which represents all aspects of Rallysport in every detail - DR2.0 is okay but still a mainstream compromise - tho, if you ever have seen a real WRC driver sitting on the roof of his car with a gamepad in his hand show me please ...and last not least: You don't have to buy it. if you don't like it !! So don't tell me that the sims I mentioned support game controllers: Yeah they do, but you won't come very far with in terms of close competitive racing events. ;)
Uh and regarding your rude reply I see you're just another specimen from the toxic jerk community ...

@André Gee Fun fact: One of the fastest guys I've ever raced with (in AMS, specifically) uses...a keyboard.
Several other people use gamepads.

And I can assure you they're not doing it because "they are too lazy to get their butt off the couch and invest some dedication, time, money and effort".

What an entitled opinion that is.
That is extremely impressive. I wonder how they manage to do that. You know, using boolean(on/off) input to play a analog game, pulse width modulation? (That is how your computer uses 0 and 1 to control the fan speed, in case you are not familiar with the terminology)

Anyway, you are right. Gears will not stop passion and commitment, but I do wonder why that alien you mentioned uses a keyboard.

btw. an acceptable 2nd hand wheel for starters is not that expensive compared to gamepads m8.

[citation needed]
The cheapest steering wheel I can find is still 175 euros (a G920). Still three times as much as a brand new xbox one controller. And you can actually use the xbox one controller, the G920 is far, far more limited. Not everyone has money to burn on videogames.

Still no VR support.

Meanwhile, Hitman 3 randomly adds VR support for their new game, and 2 previous ones too :roflmao:

Sorry for slight OT, it's just a franchise that I didn't predict getting one...

Where as at this point, I'd expect every new driving sim to have VR... especially when it's obvious that WRC9's other changes over WRC8 will be very limited (most stages are same, and already were in WRC7)

Last edited:
:) Well nothing against a little quickplay-mode implemented for casual drivers who prefer the common "Fly-above-slotcar-camera-with- all-aids-on-to-have -pretty-illusions-of-being-the-king-of-the-ring" but in truth are too lazy to get their butt off the couch and invest some dedication, time, money and effort.... btw. an acceptable 2nd hand wheel for starters is not that expensive compared to gamepads m8.

And above all I was talking about a true hardcore-rallysim (in the tradition of actual streetracing-sims like AC, ACC, rF2, RRE, a.s.o. with full community support, Dedis instead of "Racenet" or any kinda "Matchmaking" a.s.o.) which represents all aspects of Rallysport in every detail - DR2.0 is okay but still a mainstream compromise - tho, if you ever have seen a real WRC driver sitting on the roof of his car with a gamepad in his hand show me please ...and last not least: You don't have to buy it. if you don't like it !! So don't tell me that the sims I mentioned support game controllers: Yeah they do, but you won't come very far with in terms of close competitive racing events. ;)
Uh and regarding your rude reply I see you're just another specimen from the toxic jerk community ...

Arrogant much? And so far off the mark regarding user ability, intent, and motivation.

Last edited:
That is extremely impressive. I wonder how they manage to do that. You know, using boolean(on/off) input to play a analog game, pulse width modulation?
I've never really understood how he can be so fast and accurate on keyboard. It's not like he just races easy cars, quite the opposite actually.

Then again some of my fastest times at Pikes Peak in the original Dirt Rally were done on keyboard, so...I guess if you get used to how the game in question handles keyboard input, it's not that big of a deal. (Personally, I could only drive certain cars on certain surfaces well in DR, due to how the steering input was handled in that game, for example. Never really tried AMS.)

No offense, but shove your wheelitism up your ass;-)
There are many reasons for using a gamepad over a wheel (cost, space, accessibility/disability++) and supporting different control devices should not be a constraint on developing an excellent simulator.

This is what smart companies do now days, support multiple controllers:
Very bad comparison, because planes can only do pitch, roll, de- and accelerate and I don't see any reason why an Xbox-controller can't do the trick. Sim-Racing is different since you need micro-corrections to keep a car on the limit and pedal-inputs can be millimetre work. The travel-distance of a gamepad shouldn't be enough for proper control and if it works, there must be something simplified in the physics to make it work. And flight sims are not about tenths of a second advantage and those flight controllers don't have FFB as well.

Last edited:
Very bad comparison, because planes can only do pitch, roll, de- and accelerate and I don't see any reason why an Xbox-controller can't do the trick. Sim-Racing is different since you need micro-corrections to keep a car on the limit and pedal-inputs can be millimetre work. The travel-distance of a gamepad shouldn't be enough for proper control and if it works, there must be something simplified in the physics to make it work. And flight sims are not about tenths of a second advantage and those flight controllers don't have FFB as well.

If that's not a word salad of useless conjecture I don't know what it is.

Wtf is it about simracers and their defensive triggered responses?

Aerobatics, formation flying, takeoffs, landing, bush piloting...the list goes on where aircraft need total control as much as any other vehicle (car, boat, bicycle or whatever)

Totally no mm control needed here:

Yeah, no mm control needed here at all:

Fyi FFB was common in flight controllers till some patent troll screwed it up for everyone.

You are yet another shining example of internet dunning krugerism.
I'll also give you extra points for simracer wheelie FFB OCD.

Have a cookie.

Last edited:
Guys calm down, I just brought some entertainment by provocation into the discussion and in the end (I hope) we can agree on "opinions are like a**holes, cause everyone's got one". I'm well aware that some keyboard and gamepad jockeys are unbelieveably fast but I just don't understand why doing it, cause it takes away a lot of immersion and fun in terms of FFB and physics response in general imo which contradicts my personal approach of "simulated race driving". I'm also no elitist who feels entitled to win races at all cost, neither a snob who thinks that your equipment divides the man from the boy or that I'm doin' for reasons that might be connected to issues with lowered self esteem or for dick comparison : I started with a low-budget equipment like everyone else and I just enjoy racing simulations in the most authentic way I'm able to reproduce and the best way is (after 20 Yrs doing that) with the best equipment I can afford.Simple as that.And yes I prefer so-called "Hardcore" Simulations for exactly that reason.With anything less I just have not much fun anymore ...or switch to different game genres in case....
Thats why I said that for example DR 2.0 is "okay" (or WRC 9 might be) but that I truely wish that some developers would have the guts again to take the risk to produce a pure Rally Title by (frankly said) giving a **** about the mainstream audience, their "opinions" and expectations and the allegedly holy laws of neoliberal marketing - the Heusinkvelt of Rally Titles so to say ...this discussion here is as old as racing titles (like cockpit view or non-cockpit view for instance) and leads to nothing but even more opinions that are like a**holes. - but well, yes I hereby apologize for being provocative, I simply couldn't resist to respond to the the "lecture" of a snotty brat and his diction of a hotheaded, butthurt Teenager attached ("Shove it up your arse") WHO WAS THE ONE THAT WAS INITIALLY TRIGGERED BY MY REMARK TO MORE OR LESS IGNORE GAMEPAD JOCKEYS in that context ;)...but I hope he slept well nevertheless :roflmao:...

Last edited:
Guys calm down, I just brought some entertainment by provocation into the discussion and in the end (I hope) we can agree on "opinions are like a**holes, cause everyone's got one". I'm well aware that some keyboard and gamepad jockeys are unbelieveably fast but I just don't understand why doing it, cause it takes away a lot of immersion and fun in terms of FFB and physics response in general imo which contradicts my personal approach of "simulated race driving". I'm also no elitist who feels entitled to win races at all cost, neither a snob who thinks that your equipment divides the man from the boy or that I'm doin' for reasons that might be connected to issues with lowered self esteem or for dick comparison : I started with a low-budget equipment like everyone else and I just enjoy racing simulations in the most authentic way I'm able to reproduce and the best way is (after 20 Yrs doing that) with the best equipment I can afford.Simple as that.And yes I prefer so-called "Hardcore" Simulations for exactly that reason.With anything less I just have not much fun anymore ...or switch to different game genres in case....
Thats why I said that for example DR 2.0 is "okay" (or WRC 9 might be) but that I truely wish that some developers would have the guts again to take the risk to produce a pure Rally Title by (frankly said) giving a **** about the mainstream audience, their "opinions" and expectations and the allegedly holy laws of neoliberal marketing - the Heusinkvelt of Rally Titles so to say ...this discussion here is as old as racing titles (like cockpit view or non-cockpit view for instance) and leads to nothing but even more opinions that are like a**holes. - but well, yes I hereby apologize for being provocative, I simply couldn't resist to respond to the the "lecture" of a snotty brat and his diction of a hotheaded, butthurt Teenager attached ("Shove it up your arse") WHO WAS THE ONE THAT WAS INITIALLY TRIGGERED BY MY REMARK TO MORE OR LESS IGNORE GAMEPAD JOCKEYS in that context ;)...but I hope he slept well nevertheless :roflmao:...

I think you need to push harder mate, it's not quite in yet.

Wheelitists are always the one's to come out with the "calm down" when they get called out on their BS. If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen.

People can play however they like to play (for lots of reasons, which you fail to even consider or acknowledge), and it's fantastic to see game developers enabling that. Especially products like https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller that allow people access to enjoy games/sims they were previously unable to. ->When everybody plays, we all win

End of Story.

In other news, RD is a bit slow off the mark with this:

Last edited:
I've never really understood how he can be so fast and accurate on keyboard. It's not like he just races easy cars, quite the opposite actually.

Then again some of my fastest times at Pikes Peak in the original Dirt Rally were done on keyboard, so...I guess if you get used to how the game in question handles keyboard input, it's not that big of a deal. (Personally, I could only drive certain cars on certain surfaces well in DR, due to how the steering input was handled in that game, for example. Never really tried AMS.)
when you dont have to fight the ffb sometimes it helps (maybe)?

PS
when i read things like " entitled opinion " i think to myself , oh no not another one of these guy's ruining another thread with baseless left winger sayings. Opps i meant "Jerry Springer" sayings lol.

RBR was never as good as people claim, Likewise GPL,

And, Get a wheel.

And a joystick for flight sims.

or not,

But don't get RBR, It belongs in 2004 (on the PS2)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 396 40.0%