WRC9 WRC 9 | Back To Japan Gameplay Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
KT Racing and NACON have released a brand new gameplay trailer from WRC 9, showcasing the returning Rally Japan within the upcoming simulation.
  • Rally Japan returns for the first time since 2011.
  • WRC 9 is scheduled to release September 3rd.
  • Official videogame of the 2020 FIA World Rally Championship.

WRC 9 | First thoughts on gameplay footage: Click Here.

The official World Rally Championship videogame for 2020 is right around the corner (ok, a month away, but you get my drift), and in order to help the community get a better understanding of what to expect from WRC 9, the development team from behind the new title have released another new gameplay trailer - showing off the returning Rally Japan venue.

Set in the mountains and forests of the Aichi and Gifu districts, Rally Japan is a difficult and high speed asphalt event, and should (hopefully) make its return to the World Rally Championship this season after a nine year hiatus. Forming part of the default offering of WRC, Rally Japan joins the returning Kenya, and the new for this season New Zealand, alongside the remaining events from the originally scheduled 2020 calendar.

You can check out the new Rally Japan gameplay trailer here:

WRC 9 is set to feature no less than 50 official teams and liveries across the main WRC series and the supporting WRC 2, WRC 3 and JWRC, as well as over 15 'bonus' cars from the history of the championship. Alongside this, new gameplay formats are planned for the latest release, plus of course the official events from the original 2020 schedule.

WRC9_Screenshots_1_New_Zealand_Hyundai_2_4K.jpg

WRC 9 will release on Xbox One, PS4, PC this September 3rd.

Want to know more about this new game? No worries, check out the WRC 9 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to engage with your fellow sim racing fans.

WRC9_Screenshots_1_New_Zealand_Ford_1_4K.jpg

Last edited:
The lighting looks terrible, as does a lot of the tree textures. As bad as the Australian stage in WRC 8.
I uninstalled WRC 8 mainly because of the terrible gamepad control system and feedback. DR2 is streets ahead. It was a pity, because in other areas WRC 8 was better than DR2.

Given the quality of the visuals (and no info if they improved the gamepad support) in this video it'll be a hard pass on WRC 9...or at least a "wait for big sale in 6 months to try it" purchase.

Cars also still sound like pimped up lawnmowers :)...guess they just will bring it to an end until Codies take over the WRC license - anyway, despite being a DR2 fan I still wait for some developers who have the balls to continue where Warthog and Richard Burns (R.I.P) started (and far beyond)...and , no offense, by more or less ignoring gamepad jokeys ..OR DR 3.0 will come with a completly new GFX and physics engine, but I seriously doubt that, cause with the DR series it took them 15 Years alone to release a worthy successor after CMR 2.0, that which everyone expected back then...:whistling:

Last edited:
Cars also still sound like pimped up lawnmowers :)...guess they just will bring it to an end until Codies take over the WRC license - anyway, despite being a DR2 fan I still wait for some developers who have the balls to continue where Warthog and Richard Burns (R.I.P) started (and far beyond)...and , no offense, by more or less ignoring gamepad jokeys ..OR DR 3.0 will come with a completly new GFX and physics engine, but I seriously doubt that, cause with the DR series it took them 15 Years alone to release a worthy successor after CMR 2.0, that which everyone expected back then...:whistling:

No offense, but shove your wheelitism up your ass;-)
There are many reasons for using a gamepad over a wheel (cost, space, accessibility/disability++) and supporting different control devices should not be a constraint on developing an excellent simulator.

This is what smart companies do now days, support multiple controllers:

Update:
Maybe they have fixed the atrocious WRC 8 gamepad support after all:
" New consoles mean new ways to play, and Jarniou has that base covered, too: “The new controllers, with new vibration systems and even haptic capabilities are a real plus for the driving experience, as we can transmit more information about the car behaviour, surface, suspension and braking. It really makes the pad experience closer to sensations you’ve only had using a wheel up until now” "

Last edited:
Will it also have the fantasy RPG style "skill tree" where you can buy some armor for your car to take less damage, and pontoons so that the water will slow it down less? I mean...i will be disappointed if a "SIMULATOR" doesn't have such a feature. Wait...it is a simulator...right? It's not like that other crappy arcade DR2.0 that doesn't have this kind of stuff so it must be!

This looks like it plays much like WRC8, which was very disappointing for me. I tried refunding but, must have passed the trial window.

I can't stand DR2 FFB so, I'm still playing RBR for my Rally action. Long live the king. :D

This game needs telemetry output support.

If they manage to do just that, i might give Nr9 a try.
Yes, lack of telemetry support is certainly problematic but, the title does have D-box motion support. Still, I didn't find the handling, ffb, audio, and other aspects to be up to par. The overall control scheme felt very clumsy and disjointed. It's too bad because, it looks good, has very nice stages and terrain.

Howercraft 9 , and the steering wheel lol , it can barely moving

Honestly no - WRC 8 felt way more grounded than DR2 which IMO feels more of a hovercraft simulator.

I have to admit that when it comes to rally I've no idea which represents realism the most - both are fun to play. And before anybody says RBR - I get it, but I missed the boat on that one.

I actually don't think WRC series and especially the latest game is that bad :x3:
However...
my GPU just died on me and I'm in a process of getting new, so...
can't play any fancy latest games since I use my backup, which is pretty old
and I've start Richard Burns Rally.

So....

the whole damn time while driving I was like... how in the world did they THEN implement ...THIS ?!?
Then THAT, then another thing, then next one... how were they that much, I can freely say, ahead of their time ?
I mean... thing like physic (but ok we all knew that, right?) then look at that Japan vegetation, WRC NOW brags about their triumphal return to Japan, RBR had that light years ago, and it did look jaw-dropping. Live and breathing vegetation.
The amount of dirt and dust behind the car and it's duration. Just wow. No game NOW doesn't have that, I think.
And how about those marshals running at the very last time before your bonnet ?!? And saving you from rather unpleasant roadkill on your record. :D
Such a cool thing to implement. :inlove:
Sound. Send shivers down your spine...
Force feedback... robust and informative...
you name it, they probably did it. And all this in a game released in - 2004 ?! :O_o:
I mean I know this isn't (another) "this game vs RBR" thread but I just had to, sorry.
Nothing wouldn't happened if my damn GPU didn't died on me. Oh unhappy times... :notworthy:
I would still living in my quiet and peaceful world and believe that this WRC series
is quite nice franchise to have with us :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%