Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I just put this here with a hope if any kyloton guy notice and they take action

1. GUI is so sketchy. No style, no art, it is just high contrast windows form with black background green highlight.
2. Setup slots are insufficient. Setups are like prepared to just give it a sim appearance. Copy paste details. Just numbers around without units, no visual representations. This just itself shows that this game is not a serious sim. You have no toe in setting no brake power setting. Fast damper and threshold settings are absent maybe not modelled (which would make it far away from sim).
3. Sounds are too repetitive and gives headache.
4. Cars are like rocketship; you touch gas pedal and it gives all. No torque gaining no turbo lag, stuck at the top rev for more than it should.
5. Same class cars are binary same i guess. They don't have noticable personality about sound or accelerating etc.
6. Game graphics does not allow to use all your graphic card, if you have a high-end gpu. And they are too desaturated no HDR support. Models are just too sharp and lame.
7. Human models are from Tomb Raider 1996.
8. No telemetry supplied for custom phone dash.
9. Cars feels like no weight at all and floating around on replays.
10. Car texture does not comply with track. It is very shiny and colorful than the atmosphere itself.
11. In replay mode from helicopter view for example you can see dust behind the car is generated line by line; no smoothness is applied. Particle generation is bad.
12. Every collision sounds same. Actually any sound in the game is non satisfying.
13. And sure having no VR support and the market choice is disrespectful.

Does anybody experiencing this issue?
Just in the middle of the game it crashes and no crash report is appeat later. Previous version (v1.5.1) was also crashing due to texture load but not as this much. Sent dozens of those crash reports to f*loton with no feedback.
Sometimes i need to force restart my PC. My graphic card is Sapphire Nitro AMD 5700Xt.

Kyloton is famous in its industry by hiring idiots. And those who says everywhere that they loved game are even dumper. You can not expect them to be serious about anything. I guess Fia gave them license just because they both French and due to brexit fia tried to punish any GB studios by their method.

Was just going to buy this game in the Epic Games sale seeing as its currently £17.99 with the £10 coupon theyre giving out currently. Then i watched this video on youtube and it made me realise why i hated it on xbox. The Hyundai being a prime example of their awful modelling. The sides of this car along the tops of the doors and rear 3 quarter panel. No way does it curve out like that on the real car........what did they use to model it on in this game a bath tub?

Worth every penny imho. Get inside from the drivers perpective and you won't care about what it looks like on the outside. It's all about the physics. Once you get accustomed to it and stop over-driving, it is sublime and it will get in your blood. Weight transfer physics are like none other, really satisfying when you get it right. Like I said, IMHO :)

If Dirt Rally 2 is too hardcore for you and/or you want a game with the cars and data of the current WRC season, you need WRC 8. It's a simcade game though. There are mods which allow you customizing the graphics and driving model if you don't like the default ones.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.9%