Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
"...Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases."

THIS! Pleeaase let this really happen!

Last time I checked I was still in top 50 leaderboards in many stages of WRC7, with in some cases 30 000+ entries.

To really be able to say something about WRC7 physics, set a competitive time first. First 6 months or so I was in top 10 in several stages, close to WR. And I was able to use largely same driving techniques like weight shift, as can be used in best of sims.. weird huh?

Hard to take seriously, when people who weren't even fast in WRC7, are bashing the physics tbh

Not bashing the physics of WRC7 , I enjoyed it quite a lot - mostly with my wheel, but physics better than Dirt 4 - that`s a bit too good to be true...

Looking forward to it. WRC7 was a big surprise. Not a perfect game with some flaws here and there (especially FFB and FOV settings) but beautiful stages and a solid (but not perfect) driving model created a good rallying experience,at least for me. Talking about physics I really liked how cars behave: you can actually feel the car has “some” weight,you can tackle an hairpin on loose surfaces by left-foot braking and simply using the weight transfer, and yes,overall I think WRC 7 physics are even better than Dirt Rally ones. There's no weight in DR cars,tarmac feeling is just meh and every jump turns into a take off: if I wanted to experience some flight I'd choose Flight Simulator or X-Plane instead... That's why I HATE playing Finland stages in DR (such a disappointment for me since in real life Rally Finland is one of my favourites...).

I enjoyed,and still enjoy Dirt Rally,but I think it's a bit overrated: a good and funny simcade,nothing more,nothing less...

Yes, more TV cams please. Ok, not "more", make it ALL TV cams. Please.
When I watch REAL Rally daily report I trully can't see most if not ALL cams they use in WRC7. Painful and not cool to watch and if I, for some reason (say attractive crash:D), wanna see replay I always fast forward all other parts. Shame.
Replay should look like real life, at least in this title which isn't supposed to be arcade.
Leave those cams and angles for your other titles Kylo. =P

Will it work without stuttering in PC? Will I be able to use a Bodnar cable for pedals? Will it not get completely broken above 60 fps? All issues I had with WRC 7!
Just reinstalled it today to remind myself how great WRC7 actually was (it is seriously even better than I remembered) - no stuttering, using pedals on Bodnar cable, running perfectly fine at ~120 fps. What can I say?

I bought a GIMX adapter a while back and WRC 7 is still one of the only titles that I can use with it. If we can at least get direct input support for multiple devices that's enough for me to buy it. Not asking for super duper extra FFB effects for OSW. I just want it to work.

Please ?

;)

In no particular order:
I hope I can fire up the game, go to the controller settings, assign my AccuForce wheel and HE pedals as I please and then drive.
Proper tv-style replays.
Crisp ffb.
Triple screen support.
General improvement on physics/handling/feel.

MUST have better wheel support (menus need mouse support) and adjustable FOV and over all more graphics customization or I'm going to pass on this one. WRC 7 Was a good move forward but there are simple things they need to do to get me to buy this one. VR support would be nice as well. Other than that graphics are looking good at least.

Since this is wont be out for a while I have some hope they're actually adding some value that is sorely needed in this series.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back