Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Cockpit wheel rotation visual is BROKEN as far as mirroring your rigs wheel, this is a fault with the games coding and NOT your wheel. But having said that the game seems to work best with my G29 at full lock which is 900 degrees of rotation.
EDIT I MEAN 540 degrees of rotation sorry my bad.

Last edited:
I will put it like this, Dirt rally 2.0 is how rally drivers wish their cars handled and WRC 8 is a lot closer to how they actually do handle in real life! FFB win goes to WRC 8 but you need wheel profiles with different FFB settings will be needed for different classes of cars as well as gravel verses asphalt. creating these profiles is super easy and well thought out for this sim! One wheel profile really does not fit all in WRC 8.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WRC 8 is freaking awesome!
WITH GAME TUNING.
GREAT FFB! Mostly Better than DR2.
GREAT PHYSICS! In some ways Better than DR2.
GREAT WEATHER SYSTEM! Better than DR2.
GREAT GRAPHICS!
GREAT TRACKS! Equal to and in some ways better than DR2.
Great Damage modeling with car physics!
GREAT Hand Break support! AXIS ANALOG! Better than DR2.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not so great of a car selection (at least so far)
Not Great are the car sounds (but way better than WRC 7)
Not Great is the cockpit view on the WRC cars.(Historic Car cockpits are perfect)(i suspect a patch for WRC cockpit view though, i hope!

IT IS A MUST HAVE FOR ALL RALLY ENTHUSIAST!

Last edited:
i think your overall force setting at 100 is way too high, try 50 and see if its better. At 100 on overall force your wheel is probably clipping which cancels them clipping signals resulting in missing FFB. Also turn down overall vibration to 100 and not 140. You will also need different wheel profile settings (FFB) for different car classes and gravel vs asphalt to get the best out of this sim. GL

Cockpit wheel rotation visual is BROKEN as far as mirroring your rigs wheel, this is a fault with the games coding and NOT your wheel. But having said that the game seems to work best with my G29 at full lock which is 900 degrees of rotation.

Indeed, the driver arms and wheel animation are a joke. I also find the cockpit cam unplayable despite adjusting the horror movie-like FOV slider and using a 55" 4k TV.
Regarding your rotation, 900° is way too high for a modern rally car. Try lowering it to 540° and setting Sensitivity to -1 (minus one).

Not sure what car or rally you're looking to find a setup for but I think I've come up with a pretty good tarmac setup for the Yaris@Monte Carlo(just set the fastest time on the La Bollene-Vesuby reverse stage). Personally, in the WRC category, I think the Yaris feels the best with the Hyundai pretty close 2nd. And they seem to respond to the same setup in similar ways, where as the Ford & Citroen feel like they understeer more. Looking for some feedback on this, especially with the differentials. I'm still trying to figure those out and the descriptions the game uses seem a bit convoluted. So any changes you guys want to make feel free, and please share since none of us are race engineers, or have one(except maybe Jon Armstrong:rolleyes:), we could all use a little help.
RD doesn't allow the file format of the setups to be uploaded so here's a google drive link https://drive.google.com/file/d/15eZiRgbTTzsKgrepVx2fiC9jrWz22phD/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Not sure what car or rally you're looking to find a setup for but I think I've come up with a pretty good tarmac setup for the Yaris@Monte Carlo(just set the fastest time on the La Bollene-Vesuby reverse stage). Personally, in the WRC category, I think the Yaris feels the best with the Hyundai pretty close 2nd. And they seem to respond to the same setup in similar ways, where as the Ford & Citroen feel like they understeer more. Looking for some feedback on this, especially with the differentials. I'm still trying to figure those out and the descriptions the game uses seem a bit convoluted. So any changes you guys want to make feel free, and please share since none of us are race engineers, or have one(except maybe Jon Armstrong:rolleyes:), and we could all use a little help.
RD doesn't allow the file format of the setups to be uploaded so here's a google drive link https://drive.google.com/file/d/15eZiRgbTTzsKgrepVx2fiC9jrWz22phD/view?usp=sharing

Thanks. I'm gonna check out this. ;)

Well, what car or rally i was looking for? Mostly i drive WRC and WRC2 cars, no favorite yet, so basically any setup for tarmac and gravel is more than welcome. :)

And i greatly appreciate that you take your time to share this. :thumbsup:

Im having issues on some of the bumpy stages in Wales, etc. The car porpoises like crazy, like the rebound is way off or something. Im still testing things, but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, the understeer on entry is still a problem, is there anyway to get rid of some of it?

Im having issues on some of the bumpy stages in Wales, etc. The car porpoises like crazy, like the rebound is way off or something. Im still testing things, but if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, the understeer on entry is still a problem, is there anyway to get rid of some of it?

the only way i could get rid of the understeer was to limit the FPS and turn off vsync
as for wales, iv some decent setups that got me a top ten time on the leaderboards

setups are very subjective, what works for one person doesnt always works for some one else. the best way to stop the car bouncing about on Wales is to anticipate the 'bumps' and back off slightly in these areas, but i know meself, it aint so easy to see them, and as the speed rises, the bumps get bigger hahahaa

wrc car setup.png

downforce is set to 10
if you want a RBR feel, change downforce to 40 front, 0 rear and slap the hard tyres on, turn off ABS.

i think iv tweeked the anti roll to 2front 3rear

Last edited:

I'm guessing this is happening because the rebound is set too low on the baseline setup and when you land from a jump there's not enough rebound dampening to keep the stored energy in the spring from extending the shock quickly. So I'd suggest turning up the rebound dampening(unfortunately they didn't give us high and low speed settings or a HBS which would make tuning for jumps much easier). Of course the drawback to higher rebound dampening is when leaving the jump it will take longer for the shock to fully extend before the landing, so too high a rebound might not work so good on those little jumps where you only come off the ground briefly. I'd also increase the roll bars, for some reason every baseline setup for every car on every surface has the RBs at 0, pretty sure that's not right. Like toweleeie said, it's also how you drive over the jumps. I've started lifting slightly and giving a dab of the brakes right before the crest which seems to help keep the car level on take off and landing.

As for the understeer you can: increase the rear RB higher than the front, raise the rear ride height higher than the front. If it's understeer on exit you're trying to eliminate you can increase the rear diff preload or increase the rear diff accel setting. If you having trouble with understeer on entry you can try increasing the rear diff braking setting, move the brake bias more to the rear, soften the front springs relative to the rear, or lower the front RB. Personally, I like running with the rear diff braking at 70-80 and the brake bias at 40-45. So when I'm braking into a corner, right at the point I'm about to turn in I press the brake a little harder to slightly lock the rear wheels which gives just enough rotation at turn in to get the car pointed where I want to go.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 214 14.4%