WRC4 WRC 4 The Game

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
On the iOpener website there is a very interesting article about an upcoming World Rally Championship simulator:

World Rally Championship's next game: Racing live against rally heroes

The next generation WRC computer game will allow players to 'compete' in live rallies", states ISC chairman Neil Duncanson in the April version of SportBusiness International magazine. ISC, the global promoter of the World Rally Championship (WRC), mentions WRC's ultimate goal as building up an online gaming world championship alongside the real thing.
ISC and the computer gaming industry believe the next step in gaming is this 'live' competition between gamers and real drivers, made possible through iOpener's patented technology.
ISC CEO Simon Long says: "Now we are a global promoter, we want this to be multi-platform, multi-publisher, multi-territory."
For Long and Duncanson the new game is part of WRC's broader efforts to appeal new fans beyond the hardcore enthusiastics. FIA's chairman Max Mosley has said the virtual champion will be honoured at the WRC's annual end-of-season awards ceremony in Monaco.

Source: iOpener Media

Last April we already brought you the first news about iOpener Media's beta testers recruitment for their Real Time Racing project.

The news about this technology where virtual racers can compete against the real drivers on the track in real time is now spreading amoung the simracing communities.

iOpener is still looking for the worlds best simracers to join their beta test program that's about to start soon. If you are interested in joining then you can sign up on the RTR website

Attachments

• sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 619
  • Andrew Evans

sounds a lot more legit than some crap-arsed lego racer - fia aren't gonna award a trophy for who can wallride & shiftglitch the best :D

(i hope)

idea has been around for a long time, "virtual spectator", the system that allowed you some years back you to follow the WRC and sailing events in real time by watching simulations run on the GPS data collected live, planned to put in the possibility of playing in those live broadcasts as well. There was an article about it in TIME magazine couple of years back. Dunno if "Virtual Spectator" still exist, was an idea before its time.

still on the web: http://www.virtualspectator.co.nz/

but pages are copyrighted for 2008, so they seem to have folded up.

and here's the article from TIME, dated 2002

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,300622,00.html

Unlike any other major sport, the WRC is absolutely built for live gaming. That’s the ability for you or I to sit at home our sofas and drive in a rally in real time on your computer.
Full marks on the positive spin, boss. Now that's a manager who's had his cereal in the morning. Not to burst your bubble or anything, but golf is also built for live gaming (imagine going up against Tiger at Augusta!)

What makes this not possible for formula 1 and soccer also makes them more popular curiously.

(of course I look forward to a modern rally sim. I'm just too allergic to management-speak...)

I can not drive "real" sims out from the sofa! What does that tell you? Will it be a new Colin McRae rally?

Yes... expectations are low now. :struggle:

I think we should wait and see. You're jumping to conclusions based on one word so far. It was a press announcement after all and its far easier to convey to those reading it that you can play this at home on your computer by using the word 'sofa' rather than some other convoluted expression such as "at home in front of your computer sat at your desk" or "in your gaming room sat on your chair" Maybe he should have just said "you can experience it at home sat in front of your computer with your plastic wheels and pedals pretending to be a rally driver"

What I think would be the cherry on the cake would be the abaility to turn off im-game pacenotes and have real-life co-driver events. Like you choose a buddy and you dod a shakedown, he makes notes, and over TS he can be your co-driver.

I suggested it for RSRBR, but there's no real way for the other guy to see the driver on the stage :(

This awesome news, and It's about time as well, I really have waited for this opportunity for many years now, I've even asked it on the WRC forum a couple of years Ago, so finally they have there eyes open for something real, and needed in this Sim World, I just hope they are testing RBR for some pointers to make it the best ever produced.. again the hype of this news, will be a lot of fun, just look at the massive interest in GT5's rally part and DIRT2.. it's going amok :o)

Great Find Bram .o)

What I think would be the cherry on the cake would be the abaility to turn off im-game pacenotes and have real-life co-driver events. Like you choose a buddy and you dod a shakedown, he makes notes, and over TS he can be your co-driver.

I suggested it for RSRBR, but there's no real way for the other guy to see the driver on the stage :(

ABout the Real Codriver, some Teams Doit, but they uses to Monitors, and the codriver is in the same ROOM, Maybe if you have a Power PC, you can use a webcam with SKYPE; MSN; Somthing ells, Game streaming is avialable, but does it work properly Beats me ?:sleepy:

But this shows that it's possible
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-w56hQxmnY[/ame]

Another possibility http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php

I don't know How it works, But We should test it, that could give us some amazing Championships some day..

World Rally Car Game

"Fans of the FIA World Rally Championship will soon be able to get closer to the action after it was announced today that a new official WRC console game is now under development and scheduled for launch in 2010.

The agreement with leading Milan based publisher, Black Bean Games, will see the WRC game available across the world for the first time on PlayStation®3, Xbox360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft® and PC formats. Black Bean Games, and their in-house development studio Milestone, have an excellent track record of successful motorsport games including the SBK Superbike championship and MotoGP."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/21125/New-Official-WRC-Console-Game-Announced/

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing