WRC10 WRC 10 frame rate tanking

hello folks

im having an odd issue with the FPS dropping off to nothing with very little load on CPU/GPU although load does go up on both during the FPS drop. once its started to drop the only way to make it go away is to go back to the main menu and restart what ever you were doing.
i thought it was a Celica GT Four issue as it usually happens driving that car or after iv driven the car, but its not limited to the Celica
it also seems to kick off approaching a large crowd. places that kick it off would be the hair pin on finland shakedown and the top of the hill on san remo(1997) in the dark
iv tried different window modes, vsync, physics simulation setting and every graphic setting from high to low.
3 different drivers
its starting to drive me up the wall..... ha

any ideas folks?

MMM

After testing this for many an hour of the last couple of days, i think its something to do with the headlights thats causing the FPS drop off

I had no stutters pre patch or pre driver change(was on an old driver from may) but i hadnt done any driving with lights on except the 50th anniversary mode, i can remember thinking 'OH, thats the stutter everyone is talking about' i was on the monte audi quattro stage with lights on

now, in the past 3 or 4 days iv mainly been driving at night on san remo using a reshade bloom FX shader to up the brightness of the headlights so i can actually see(stutter isnt related to reshade, tested this) and the stutters have been frequent since.

iv just been doing the finland shakedown stage in 98 impreza, no frame drops for 6+ runs, then i turned the lights on and all hell broke loose soon after.

can anyone else with the stutter issue have a quick test of this. just do finland shakedown/day/clear, do a good few runs(its a fun stage) if you get no stutters turn on the headlights and see if it stutters.

iv exhausted every other possibility, its not the crowd although it kicks off around a crowd, its not the celica although it usually happens faster after using the celica, but every single time the game starts to stutter, iv got the headlights ON!!

MMM

its not the lights (GOD DAMN IT) just done the celica on safari and it started to stutter during 2nd run with no lights. im done at this point hahahahaa, iv no idea.
peace out

Last edited:
Radeon 5700xt, i5-9600 @ 5ghz.
No tanking, but I run vsync on- without enhanced sync... And I use RTSS set to 60.2 fps limit.
One time had some latency which was a glitch, cpu/gpu load was low.

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is frame rate tanking ?
Never heard of it until now !
just dropping off mate, going from 60 to 10 for no reason and at random, i think its the same stutter issue everyone else is having tbh, iv tried everything to fix it, iv given up now, theres faaar too many things wrong with this game at the moment, i can barely get through one stage in certain cars without it becoming unplayable. the enjoyment its rapidly turning to rage with it, its a mess.

MMM

just dropping off mate, going from 60 to 10 for no reason and at random, i think its the same stutter issue everyone else is having tbh, iv tried everything to fix it, iv given up now, theres faaar too many things wrong with this game at the moment, i can barely get through one stage in certain cars without it becoming unplayable. the enjoyment its rapidly turning to rage with it, its a mess.

MMM
I used to have those problems but I've fiddled around in both the ingame settings as well as in the nVidia control panel and now its just fine !

I have an old MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB graphic card from 2015 and I get smooth and steady 60 FPS with VSync activated !

MOBO: ASUS Z97-DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz 16GB

Last edited:
I used to have those problems but I've fiddled around in both the ingame settings as well as in the nVidia control panel and now its just fine !

I have an old MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB graphic card from 2015 and I get smooth and steady 60 FPS with VSync activated !

MOBO: ASUS Z97-DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz 16GB

yeah, im thinking of replacing my 3080 with a 980ti iv got knocking about hahahahahaa. its mad as toast as i never had any FPS drop or stutter issues on any other WRC game but this one is kicking me in the teeth now haahahaa. everything else i play runs sweet so i can only say its the game, and its not just me :(

yeah, im thinking of replacing my 3080 with a 980ti iv got knocking about hahahahahaa. its mad as toast as i never had any FPS drop or stutter issues on any other WRC game but this one is kicking me in the teeth now haahahaa. everything else i play runs sweet so i can only say its the game, and its not just me :(
If my old 980 can handle it your 3080 should have no problems whatsoever !
Must be something else in your system !

If my old 980 can handle it your 3080 should have no problems whatsoever !
Must be something else in your system !
highly unlikely buddy, im on a 10 series I5 and 32gb ram.... and an M2 SSD........ no issues on any other games although i have managed to make the issue slightly better by upping the resolution to 4k, now it stutters but doesnt keep stuttering, it does go away(and come back), but, you can also almost set ya watch by the time it starts messing up, its about 5mins into the action, an epic stage is out of the question, but i can get 1 normal stage out of the way, as long as i dont restart the stage and move on to another one, i only get stutters during the reply, or if i restart a stage it WILL stutter. in 1080p once the stuttering started it didnt go away until i backed out to main menu.
other odd things are the NCP settings dont seem to apply to the game, no matter what things i change. starting to think its an Nvidia driver issue more than anything. CPU suddenly spikes and the GPU drops off to almost nothing.
Iv tried 3x nvidia drives, all my system drivers are upto date, windows is upto date, iv installed every version of Direct X and microsoft visual C++
Id think it was an issue with my system but lots of other peeps are having the same or similar issues, theres not alot else i can update on my end, just hope someone finds a fix ASAP as its ruining the fun i could be having ha ;)

You will need to reduce shadow and reflections from high to medium or low , vsync on , cap framrate at 60 or 120fps , dx11.
I spent a while with a FPS monitor and watching the same replay over and over while tweaking one setting at a time to see the result.
My 49" is 5120 x 1440 and to maintain a solid 120FPS I needed to drop the settings quite a bit on my RTX3080.
I think you will find you still have the graphic settings too high.
The graphics engine is not very efficient and for some reason requires more GPU grunt to run the same settings than it did in WRC 9 , It's badly optimized.

You will need to reduce shadow and reflections from high to medium or low , vsync on , cap framrate at 60 or 120fps , dx11.
I spent a while with a FPS monitor and watching the same replay over and over while tweaking one setting at a time to see the result.
My 49" is 5120 x 1440 and to maintain a solid 120FPS I needed to drop the settings quite a bit on my RTX3080.
I think you will find you still have the graphic settings too high.
The graphics engine is not very efficient and for some reason requires more GPU grunt to run the same settings than it did in WRC 9 , It's badly optimized.
cheers buddy, i will once again try, but i actually find it stutters less when its maxed out hahaahaa, but i will apply these settings and get back to you. thanks for the tips :)

EDIT, as suspected, the game runs like a sack of spanners when i lower the settings, it stutters from the off, worse on DX11 than DX12. i think its an Nvidia driver issue, mad thing is it ran great up until the 1st patch, since then its almost unplayable at the best of times. id like to say ill just wait n ride it out but ill lose interest in the game pretty soon :(
shame, there is a good game here under the bugs and issues, hope KT sort it out

MMM

Last edited:
There has to be something with your system , when I changed to DX11 there was quite a performance improvement over DX12 and as I was adjusting the different graphic settings the FPS would increase or decrease matching whether I was reducing or increasing the setting.
Another test you could do is to set everything to low , which is what I did at very first because I just wanted to drive and optimize the settings later , when I did this I was getting high FPS and it was completely smooth.
If you set all game graphic settings to low and you still have stuttering then it definitely is particular to your software/hardware.
After I optimized my settings , I never get any stutter or slowdown , runs nice and smooth.

Well, iv done alot of testing over the last 24 hours, and made atleast some progress

i removed all overclocks from the system and replaced the RAM, game still stuttered
i removed all nvidia drivers and performed a clean install of an older driver, this caused the flashing issues people have reported, this is due to the PhysX driver, so both drivers were once again removed and replaced with a newer driver.
i still had stutters with GPU about 70% but i noticed that whether in 1080p or 4k the GPU usage was about the same for what ever reason, but at 1080p once the stutter started it did not go away.

at 4k, i decided to turn off particles, this resulted in the game running much better for longer but did still stutter, i also noticed that using nvidia driver vsync over the game vsync was alot more stable.

next move was to change the NCP from 'use the advance 3D settings' to prefer performance, so it auto sets the driver settings, absolute stutterfest! beyond bad, things it had changed were AA and AF settings, only to 4x each, the AA setting have no effect but the AF you could see the road texture difference. , setting everything back to default with just vsync ON at driver level and FPS limited to 60 resulted in a smoother experience but still stuttered eventually.

I also noticed that the games FPS is reporting 60fps but the game is running at 30fps when stuttering, this is the same problem i have when i change the ingame physics simulation from high to low, which i believe to be a part of the physX implementation.
setting the physX to GPU from auto also improves things

Im at the point where i can do 1 normal stage with no issues, but i cannot restart the stage, i need to continue and go through the process of reloading the stage and car

If i apply any tuning setup then the game will stutter alot quicker that it does if i just drive
the repsol celica seems to stutter more than the castrol celica, i go back to the celica as i think it has something to do with the frequency of the stutters, although it does still stutter with other cars, just not as bad or as quick

Im testing this everytime on the croatia epic stage, day time, noon, clear, GT four, so if anyone else can have a go at this and let me know how you get on.

MMM

Last edited:
Wow , you have done a lot.
It's very strange as when I was monitoring my FPS it would never get to 30 , maybe low 60's.
Your GPU should be at 99-100% otherwise you are not getting the maximum performance from it.
Do you install the geforce experience with the drivers , I never do , just the drivers and I have max performance turned on in the NVidia control panel and that's where I also limit my frame rate to 119FPS.
I have been regularly updating the Nvidia drivers and have never really noticed any difference in WRC 9 and now 10 , I'm usually running the latest driver.
You need to try other locations as that stage may be a bugged stage as in performance , I have read a few people have had bad stutters on some of the epic stages.
I haven't done any of the epic stages , I have been mostly doing quick play at the different locations and the daily and weekly online events in the WRC cars.

Edit: I have never used the Nvidia Physx software , I install the Nvidia drivers only , nothing else.

Last edited:
thats interesting mate on the PhysX, i never use the audio driver hahaaha. i shall uninstall and see what goes on, there was a patch today that had something with the particles in it.
on the GPU usage front im capping FPS at 60 which is giving me some headroom with GPU usage, should imagine it would be pegged at 100% if i was running 120hz, but at 60 its defo not being stretched so to speak
as for stages, it stutters on all epic stages in the celica for me, and some shorter stages. but by using the Croatia epic stage, i know if im making progress by at what point and how bad and how long it stutters for

thanks for the tips once again mate, i shall go try this now ;)

peace out

MMM

Last edited:
Wow , you have done a lot.
It's very strange as when I was monitoring my FPS it would never get to 30 , maybe low 60's.
Your GPU should be at 99-100% otherwise you are not getting the maximum performance from it.
Do you install the geforce experience with the drivers , I never do , just the drivers and I have max performance turned on in the NVidia control panel and that's where I also limit my frame rate to 119FPS.
I have been regularly updating the Nvidia drivers and have never really noticed any difference in WRC 9 and now 10 , I'm usually running the latest driver.
You need to try other locations as that stage may be a bugged stage as in performance , I have read a few people have had bad stutters on some of the epic stages.
I haven't done any of the epic stages , I have been mostly doing quick play at the different locations and the daily and weekly online events in the WRC cars.

Edit: I have never used the Nvidia Physx software , I install the Nvidia drivers only , nothing else.
you sir are a Genius! uninstalled the PhysX and didnt get a single stutter during the 1st test run! i know theres been a patch today but i think your comment about the PhysX has fixed it for me
nice one, happy bunny +1 hahahahahahaahaa ;)

MMM

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back