Would you support a Red Bull breakaway series?

Yeah sadly, Mercedes said no, Ferrari said yes, but old engines only (which is crazy as they have no issue supplying the other teams with the latest engines), Renault - i guess that ship has sailed and Honda...well, we all see how well they are doing. So they are really put against the wall for basically being a good team.

I agree with you, but would go further. Nobody has the duty to stay and waste money or even do well in any car racing series. In addition, competition is good and ultimately makes a better product. This has all been played out before on a smaller scale with IndyCar.

The pain for both is acute for a while, and they may never come back together, but if both can afford to go forward, you get two for the price of one for a while. We had that with Champ Car and the IRL. One went for ovals and the other road courses (but interestingly, the Indy500 was still open to either) and both got a bit watered down. Maybe Monaco could be the Indy 500 equivalent? But hey, it was double the racing for a while if you like IndyCar.

It also happened in a good way for the old AFL-NFL rivalry, which formed the NFL upon merger and is now a juggernaut. Back in the day, though, both were hurting for a while, but came through a better product and even jumped up higher because you had, in essence, league vs. league in the Super Bowl.

No offense, but I'm going to upchuck if I see another car with fenders and/or a closed cockpit. Better yet, I'll just turn on WEC. :)

I'd love to see it...not because I feel sorry for RBR but because it would take a huge amount of bargaining power and spectators away from Bernie's fiasco.
It would also encourage smaller companies to explore racing...which is extremely cost prohibitive as it stands now.
The young guns...many of whom are sitting idle or 'washed' up at 23 and 24 years of age will then have a 'fighting' chance at racing again.
It's a win-win if done properly.
It must go back to unlimited testing, no restrictions on creativity and less complex cars to keep them on track for the spectators...instead of sitting on high-stands, tearing everything apart for what should be a simple component change.
If it's done right that move would in turn cause some teams to defect and Bernie would lose a whole lot of power....over television bargaining, over venue/promoter pricing, etc...

If they did I'd be all over it!
I do like these current engines as the amount of torque is more of a skill-based challenge than in previous years where the drivers just mash the throttle and the car does the rest, but nothing can beat that V10 symphony. :inlove:
Sorry to say the golden age for me was when we had the still mixed field of V8's V10' & V12's I was never a big fan of the single engine layout format.

Back in the days before Bernie messed everything up to the point of stupidity that we now have.
Before almost all the cars looked & sounded the same.

We still have to face facts that Petrol cars will not be around for ever.
Still you know it would be nice if F1 returned to been a pure design sport without stupid rules.
Most that changed little none that made any of the also rans into world champions .

Big money still wins in F1 & for the most parts its the same names at the top as ever.
Its been such a long time now since somebody came along and changed the looks of F1 like you had in the late 60's & through the 70's Be it Lotus , Brabham , or Tyrrell , Wolf or Williams just to name a few teams who tooks some brave roots in design to get an edge .

That for me is the lost soul of F1 to many changes to make it fit TV , to much running around like a headless Chicken after endless bad rules changes & Bernie's dodgy deals & meddling have left F1 still struggling to try & find a way back to the middle ground.

F1 needs a fresh start out will the old gard & in with the new.

Like most people in life you get set in your ways as you get older.
Most of these people made F1 what it is today by bending the rules to the max.
But now they have nice incomes nice share deals to protect so play it safe is the new rule.

Sorry, no, Red Bull aren't being forced out of F1, they've done it to themselves for throwing tantrums and disrespecting their partners. Why the hell would anyone want to partner up with such an unprofessional team? Red Bull have shot themselves in the foot while burning all their bridges, and even now whine about it and blame Mercedes and Ferrari and Renault instead of taking responsibility themselves and picking up the toys they threw out of their pram..

Sorry, no, Red Bull aren't being forced out of F1, they've done it to themselves for throwing tantrums and disrespecting their partners. Why the hell would anyone want to partner up with such an unprofessional team? Red Bull have shot themselves in the foot while burning all their bridges, and even now whine about it and blame Mercedes and Ferrari and Renault instead of taking responsibility themselves and picking up the toys they threw out of their pram..
I think you need to get into what is happening more...

I think you need to get into what is happening more...
I get exactly what is happening thanks, and I get that Merc and Ferrari etc don't want to give their engines, etc, I'm saying RBR aren't exactly victims, they've not helped their own cause.

I'm not sure about that, but my math is simple...

If Mateschitz be able to find a cool car, good drivers and nice tracks, I'll totally support a new series.

If Red Bull is going to host their own championship, they can get a great amount of fans with simpy doing what F1 can't do. Red Bull got all freedom (within the range of FIA restrictions) to create a series that may be challenging F1 in certain ways, but not danger. Many F1 fans will still stay faithful ("Only F1 can be F1") and neither Mercedes, nor Ferrari got interest in racing in a series lead by a former rival.
The most interesting point may be a return of loved tracks and even more - what if the cars will be actually faster than from the high-end F1? A war would break out between F1 and Red Bull and may could lead to a good future for the latter.
But if this new series will have to suffer from a fatality due to such extremes, for both the consequences could be fatal.

Unless Red Bull can bring the thrill back with a new racing series...

Anyway, can't care less about it. Even nowadays F-1 drama is boring.

These guys should know better after all these years in F1. Lotus is competing in F1 since ever and they managed to have what, 6 winning drivers? RBR is a 10 years old team and they complain because they don't have a dominant engine to win another 4 straights?!?!

I don't know if I'd support a 'break-away' series, unless it was awesome and shook things up for Bernie. I am curious what could/would happen if they threw a bunch of support into the Formula Renault 3.5 series...
-Spec engines (no hybrid V6 nonsense)
-Spec chassis (focus on the drivers, rather than gear)
More exposure for the series as a whole

Could be interesting :cautious:
(I may also be a bit biased for that series :whistling:)

Last edited:
If I remember the whole engine share deal a decade or so saved F1 , its not like Ferrari or Merc where willing to share engines for a long time through out the history of GP & F1.

Before that deal was struck the biggest single supplier was i would have thought Cosworth who for a long time made F1 work as far as most teams went.

I must admit that I do not like the way Redbull work with in sport or their sponsorship's of a wide range of sports events .

I have to agree that Mateschitz is very much in the same mold as the ever loved Bernie , both are driven by making their product the best in the world at what ever costs.

These are not people to cross as they will do what ever it takes to put them self's on top.
Years ago it was Ferrari throwing their toys out of the pram almost every time they found themselves on the back foot with crappy cars or rule changes , they would come up with so wild threats to leave F1 or say other were cheating.

remember they even built a Indy car and said they would race in the US based series .
I think that one was about only running with V8's & V10's for the year after Turbo's were banned for the first time.

Looks like we have found our new Enzo figure here.
What ever happens the Bernie era needs to end soon.

He may have turned F1 into a global sport but at the costs of a lot of other motors sports along the way that he & his friends made sure where blocked or slowed down by rule changes put in place when is old friend Mosley was head of the FIA & at a very high cost to the fans , that now have to for the most part pay to view racing.

I don't know if I'd support a 'break-away' series, unless it was awesome and shook things up for Bernie. I am curious what could/would happen if they threw a bunch of support into the Formula Renault 3.5 series...
-Spec engines (no hybrid V6 nonsense)
-Spec chassis (focus on the drivers, rather than gear)
More exposure for the series as a whole

Could be interesting :cautious:
(I may also be a bit biased for that series :whistling:)
spec spec spec, that seems boring :D

Well this is what happens when a company involved in F1 purely on the basis of making money and without any relevance to F1, to make money for a soft drinks company that don't make their own engines.

• Deleted member 130869

Sorry Mate, wasn't aware they were being forced out, only heard that Dietrich was going to pull the plug unless performance improved on the track. But the Politics in F1 will come back and bite it finally.

They're not being forced out. They have been spitting on Renault's face all this time after a fantastic engine for many years. Funnily enough, Renault developed the turbo but never had a successful turbo engine in F1.

Red Bull has contracts and one of them to being part of F1 unless they are willing to pay the fine for breaching it. McLaren has the worst end of the straw and you don't see the biweekly baby bursting tears Red Bull had been crying. If they were so keen on breaking with Renault then it was up to them to secure a replacement engine before moving forward, now they're trying to undo some of their crap so Renault will extend their supply for 2016.

Bullies can get the hell out of F1. Except Ferrari, Bernie will bend over backwards for them.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back