Would You Rather...

Even just one real event vs one year of simracing e-sports. I'd pick real racing any time every time. I don't really even get what you would get in e-sports than I can't get with normal simracing? Travel? Not in this situations even that.

Do you need comment we all luv smell the fumes the the idea scaring ourselves or absolutely gunning it round Brands , top step , why we sim

Oh, it looks like a slow newsy and Paul being out of ideas for good articles …
Let me help you out here:

Would you rather:

A) … scrub dishes in a Bangladeshi fast-food restaurant at minimum pay for a year and connect with the rich foreign culture on your journey to enlightenment or scrape toe nails for the rest of your life in a Beverly Hills serve at home celebrity pedicure business as an unpaid intern for a year?

B) … regulate traffic as a police officer during rush hour in Timbuktu for a year with pay in free cupcakes or proofread literature class essays of 14 year olds for free for the rest of your life, drive a rusty Volvo and wear corduroy jackets?

C) … read refreshing sim racing related articles on RaceDepartment as a premium member for a year or read completely pie in the sky 12 year old phantasy race car driver fiction for middle aged men from time to time ?

Come on Paul, you can do better than that. I have seen it.

I didn't even get the fingertip excitement to accidentally click on one of the two poll choices but rather spent 5 minutes to type up this drivel here :)

Six pages of discussion begs to differ :p

Serious question here - how many of you in the "real life - it's a no-brainer" camp have ever actually been on track? Have you experienced a hot cockpit with an engine constantly vibrating your guts? Have you experienced the lurching in your stomach as the car accelerates, decelerates, and turns?

Before I got on track with someone I thought, "Oh, this is going to be awesome!" By the time it was over, I was ready to be stationary for a while. Now I also realize that motion-sickness is very different when you are in control of the vehicle, but it was still a real thing for me.

On the other hand, karting doesn't bother me at all and I thoroughly enjoy it. But that is also relatively low-risk in terms of cost or personal injury. I also enjoy driving my Miata on mountain roads when I have the chance. So maybe it was just not being the driver.

But either way, there is a lot more risk on track. I'd be worried about damaging someone else's car or my own. And I'd be worried about hurting myself and others. I really don't understand how someone can have a massive shunt and then approach the same corner with just as much aggressiveness. But perhaps this is just further proof that I am not cut out for this IRL.
I have been on a real track with a Ferrari 458 and 488. Not GT3 cars and not in a race. Yeah, it's physical, but I have been an athlete all of my life so getting my ass kicked doing something was no biggie. I have hurtled down mountain passes on a bike at 50mph and also flew dog fights over the desert in prop planes. I get some people think about it and change when they actually do it, but I go into it knowing if it was easy, everyone could do it.

I have been on a real track with a Ferrari 458 and 488. Not GT3 cars and not in a race. Yeah, it's physical, but I have been an athlete all of my life so getting my ass kicked doing something was no biggie. I have hurtled down mountain passes on a bike at 50mph and also flew dog fights over the desert in prop planes. I get some people think about it and change when they actually do it, but I go into it knowing if it was easy, everyone could do it.
It's interesting to me that so many here are either thrill-seekers or are confident that they are.

I bet I have lower life insurance premiums :)

It's interesting to me that so many here are either thrill-seekers or are confident that they are.

I bet I have lower life insurance premiums :)

Is it really so surprising? I always thought sim racing was about seeking the same thrill you'd get from real racing?

Besides, we should applaud thrill seekers, especially the young, who are inundated with soft, mushy messaging day in and day out that results in indecisiveness, ineffectiveness, lack of adventure spirit, and lack of confidence to seek out all the things that make life really worth living.

Is it really so surprising? I always thought sim racing was about seeking the same thrill you'd get from real racing?

Besides, we should applaud thrill seekers, especially the young, who are inundated with soft, mushy messaging day in and day out that results in indecisiveness, ineffectiveness, lack of adventure spirit, and lack of confidence to seek out all the things that make life really worth living.
Not surprising at all. And I'm glad that people want to do these things, particularly people who volunteer to jump out of airplanes for the military.

For me, it's not really about the thrill other than the satisfaction of improving. I really don't care that much for competition other than it serves as a measure for where I am.

And yes, I realize that I am very unusual with this.

Last edited:
If you ever tried an entry open wheeler lets say Skip Barber Car or better... you would never prefer simracing ever again. ... that include the answer. :)

Only if they make the tire physics better or invent an brain plug to simulate every g/force feel and sensation. :p ... maybe then.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

of course race in real life, even if i had chance to drive as pro esport racer and make big money on it, then all money i would make i would spend straight away on racing in real life xD

I've been on track with folks who are OK at handling their cars. I'm old and not a thrill-seeker. I would much rather be a paid eSports driver. I realize that puts me well in the minority here, but I have to be honest with myself on this.
When I crash hard in Automobilista 2, I can just restart the session with a few clicks or take a break before coming back. In real life, a similar crash will have life altering consequences.
‘At most, I would like to try the Sim cars around the track in real life, but I have no interest in racing in real life and much less doing it for free.
the answer was easy for me.

Although most of us say "real life" without hesitation there are valid arguments for both.

I wonder if it would be more tricky to decide if you said a fully paid e-sports driver but you also get provided a £10k setup to go with it? Via the sponsors, etc.

I voted for real racing as that would be a great way to spend a year, until I crash for the tenth time and the sponsors won't pay anymore...lol

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%