RaceDepartment Store

Upcoming Events

AC events on Simracing.GP ACC events on Simracing.GP Automobilista 2 events RaceRoom events rFactor 2 events

Would you be interested in playing a demo version of racing titles?

Would you be interested in playing a demo version of racing titles?

• Yes, I already play game demos

Votes: 123 35.3%
  • I don’t play demos, but I’d be interested

Votes: 125 35.9%
  • I might play a demo

Votes: 66 19.0%
  • I’m not interested in playing demo games

Votes: 34 9.8%

• Total voters

Bram Hengeveld

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Only a few years ago you could play most racing sims / games as a demo first before purchasing the full version. Today, the demo game is used less and less as Steam offers you a full refund when you 'return' your game within two hours.

A question to our beloved community: "Would you be interested in playing a demo version of racing titles?"

Shovas

Premium
I think every game should have a demo regardless of genre

But the counter argument is that usually you have a no-questions-asked refund period of a few hours in which you can return a game so maybe that's the new demo

RasmusP

Premium
My issue with the refund system is that you need to get everything working within 2 hours.
If you have situations like acc with the 300+ graphics settings and a thousand controller settings, it can became very difficult to achieve a good result within that short time frame.
Or project cars 2 where you only get the "awesome" ffb with some cars and maybe only with a community custom profile.

So I love demos with one good car, one track and enough time to set everything up.

Especially if you know that the next sale will offer the full package for a good price so you either go all in or not..

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Of course. Back when I was just starting my PC-gaming, I bought a PC-Magazine with one of those demo-disks. One of the demos was Call of Duty. The original CoD. It was the first FPS-game I had played, and I found the one level in the demo to be very good, and I didn't even know there was games like that.
So I bought it as soon as I knew it came out. Or rather, my dad bought it for me...

Of course I would like demos. There has been an influx of them on Steam lately. Me very much like! :)

Even actual REAL cars have "demos". And they almost all are at least marginally usable.
With sims you are basically playing a lottery. Not only two hours for sims is nowhere near enough - one could easily get distracted enough to forget to check the thing during the two weeks period.

Demos take me right back to the early days ! Sadly it's all pre-order now so they have your money before you even notice they sell a shell of a game .

Even actual REAL cars have "demos". And they almost all are at least marginally usable.
With sims you are basically playing a lottery. Not only two hours for sims is nowhere near enough - one could easily get distracted enough to forget to check the thing during the two weeks period.

Those are user problems though.

Shovas

Premium
Those are user problems though.
I think I get what you're saying but it's not all user problems.

I bought The Crew way back and spent two hours trying to solve a bug with my wheel and then when I gave up I realized I had run out of time and they wouldn't let me refund.

Still haven't played anymore of that game to this day.