Would a twin GTX1070 setup becworth it?

A friend who is really into Microsoft's latest flight sim is getting a 3080 graphics card and new PSU for his desktop, and has told me that in return for doing the physical instal for him, the surplus GTX1070 card curently installed would be mine if I wanted it.

Now, my rig already has a GTX1070 Ti, and I suspect that to be able to safely use both cards together I may need to replace the power supply. I generally play AMS and Assetto Corsa & Competizione, plus DCS World when in flight sim mode. The motherboard would require both cards to be rather close, so between the xtra power requirements, heat and the fact that I probably woul have to remove a USB 3.0 pcie card to ensure there was enough space for airflow, I am wondering whether this generous offer only looks good in theory.

So, would this be an upgrade or a source of problems? The rig is an i7, and to be honest was built two years ago so I really need to run Cpuid in order to get the rest of the specs.

But if none of those games would benefit, I won't bother

Les

nVidia has abandoned SLI. Single card does better when the fps drop. If you have to replace the power supply and make airflow adjustments, it's probably not worth the hassle in my opinion. On the other hand, for modern single cards, you're probably going to need a new power supply anyway.

Take him up on his offer, but sell the card and apply the money gained towards a real upgrade.

Yeah, thought so. It won't go to waste, my sons desktop has a 1060 so looks like he'll get an impromptu upgrade. I'm not in m a burning hurry to upgrade anyway, I think I woul be better getting a higher definition screen to make any real difference.

Thanks

Les

I've tried SLI/Crossfire a few times never really been worth at all, had two Voodoo 2 cards in the late 90s performance gains only minimal, had two Radeon 270X cards a few years back very poor supports, and I tried2 Asus gtx1070 strix for a few days, was really a waste of time.

In my experience it's really not worth it

Yeah agree with the above. I've had two 970s and two 1080tis in the past in SLI. 1080ti SLI was amazing for a short length of time, on select AAA games like any of the recent Tomb raider games that have excellent SLI support its cool, but in sims the SLI profiles started getting worse and worse with support dropping off a cliff. Basically even if the average framerate goes up by the messily 20% the 1% lows don't, they might actually go down. Getting the most powerful single gpu you can instead is the way to go.

Also, you can't run a Ti and a non-Ti in SLI unless you downflash the Ti (I remember somebody doing that long ago).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back