Worth buying rF1 now?

I reckon this question has been asked a million times already but not recently as far as I can see and answers may differ the closer we get to release of rF2.

Is it worth buying rF1 now that rF2 beta seems to be very good and release is getting close (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)?
I really want rF2 and will buy it sooner or later but the amount of content for rF1 is very tempting, and I can't justify buying both at full price within short. I wish they had some deal on buying both, buy rF2 and get rF1 for free or $10-15 ish.

I reckon this question has been asked a million times already but not recently as far as I can see and answers may differ the closer we get to release of rF2.

Is it worth buying rF1 now that rF2 beta seems to be very good and release is getting close (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)?
I really want rF2 and will buy it sooner or later but the amount of content for rF1 is very tempting, and I can't justify buying both at full price within short. I wish they had some deal on buying both, buy rF2 and get rF1 for free or $10-15 ish.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/pointless-to-get-rfactor-now.45362/

I still enjoy playing mine

I'm having a great time playing RFactor.
Purchased it 3 months ago.
I am saving for a gaming desktop for RF2 and using the time to get used to RF1 for both pleasure and prep for Rf2.
I am not tech enough to Beta Test RF2. Ill buy it when it goes gold.

rFactor 2 won't go gold for at least another year it seems. It's like waiting for F1 2013 because F1 2012 won't be the newest by that time.

Has any other game been as slowly developed as rFactor 2 before?

rFactor 2 won't go gold for at least another year it seems. It's like waiting for F1 2013 because F1 2012 won't be the newest by that time.
Personally I'm considering getting rF2 now and not getting rF1 at all, not waiting for rF2 to go gold. I've no problem with playing a beta as I've beta tested several games before.

Has any other game been as slowly developed as rFactor 2 before?
Yes, I've been waiting for Guild Wars 2 since 2007 :p

Personally I'm considering getting rF2 now and not getting rF1 at all, not waiting for rF2 to go gold. I've no problem with playing a beta as I've beta tested several games before.

Probably not a bad idea. But I just know I wouldn't be happy with the amount of bugs still being reported for rF2, plus rFactor 1 has so many mods I love that I am not nearly finished with it. :D

if he is on a laptop and needs a full PC with keyboard and mouse, PSU, fans, monitor etc, i'd find it amazing if you could spec a rig that could play it with decent settings and get 60fps for less than £700. I can't get 60fps on a 6970 and Dual core at 4.2 ghz with max settings and 4xSSAA, and that is what i'd aspire to get to really enjoy this game.

EDIT: I think i recall in the latest build getting just under 60 fps with basic 4xAA, but you do get some areas untreated, mainly the shadows. With 4xSSAA I think I would dip to around 45fps in parts. It's a shame as it does looks pretty gorgeous with these settings, but anything less than 60 fps for me feels terrible and jerky - in any game.

if he is on a laptop and needs a full PC with keyboard and mouse, PSU, fans, monitor etc, i'd find it amazing if you could spec a rig that could play it with decent settings and get 60fps for less than £700. I can't get 60fps on a 6970 and Dual core at 4.2 ghz with max settings and 4xSSAA, and that is what i'd aspire to get to really enjoy this game.

EDIT: I think i recall in the latest build getting just under 60 fps with basic 4xAA, but you do get some areas untreated, mainly the shadows. With 4xSSAA I think I would dip to around 45fps in parts. It's a shame as it does looks pretty gorgeous with these settings, but anything less than 60 fps for me feels terrible and jerky - in any game.
I can build one for £480 - £500
i5 quad core 2400
2.5 gb nvidea card
Can't remember what mother board ect but i worked it all out before.
Also i note you say you can't get 60fps with full graphics? Is this rfactor 2 i presume (havent had that pleasure) as i can get 60 fps on rfactor 1 maxed out on my notebook.

I'm the ignorant one here but I do keep reading that graphics are yet to be optimised. They took a big FPS leap on build 85 but 90 a small step backwards.
I was budgetting for a AMD 6 core 3.4 ghz and a 2 ghz GPU (eg ATI 7950)
I did some research on your behalf David.. Hope you don't mind me saying AMD are long way off the mark compared to the i series cpu's from intel. If you remember our conversation, I was aiming for i7 extreme. I have since spoke with a student that builds gaming pc (or very fast ones for students ect) He advised me that i5 2400k (i think k) is the best and its the same as i7 extreme but without hyperthreading (god knows what hyperthreading is) but its not relevant for gaming anyway. I mentioned the 6 core you was after mate, He says its not true "6 core" he also said stay clear of the 8 core amd his exact words rhyme with kitt. Sorry to say this mate but i'm potentially trying to save you some heartache as its a long time you will live with it ;)

Yep, AMD CPU's are a long way off the mark, stay away!

You have three routes, you can go for a z77 board and an Ivy bridge CPU (3570k) - this is the latest stuff from Intel. Or you can get the same board + 2500k - this is last gen CPU but almost the same performance. Or a z68 board + 2500k, which is all last gen, but still very good.

I'd go for the newest stuff if it was me, but to overclock the 3570K takje a good cooler, so do not skimp in that area.

Asus P8Z77-V is the board I would get from the new stuff. The one you mention I think was the defacto standard board for that gen, so a good choice to if you want the older chipset.

Yep, AMD CPU's are a long way off the mark, stay away!

You have three routes, you can go for a z77 board and an Ivy bridge CPU (3570k) - this is the latest stuff from Intel. Or you can get the same board + 2500k - this is last gen CPU but almost the same performance. Or a z68 board + 2500k, which is all last gen, but still very good.

I'd go for the newest stuff if it was me, but to overclock the 3570K takje a good cooler, so do not skimp in that area.

Asus P8Z77-V is the board I would get from the new stuff. The one you mention I think was the defacto standard board for that gen, so a good choice to if you want the older chipset.
I will aim to get it as much "future proof" as possible. I have 23'' led monitor, ect so i just have the tower expense, Using a logitech g25 until aug 1st (still deciding on the fanatec) May just get a g27 as i see lots of probs on forums about csr probs. I am clearing out my spare room to make it exclusive for gaming.
EVGA 2.5GB GeForce GTX 570 HD NVIDIA Graphics Card Is what i'm aiming for as i have been told i can double the cards up (once the price comes down to £100 or so)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back