F1 2017 Worth buy it at day one?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
F1-2017-make-history.jpg

I always appreciate the Codemasters' F1 series, I spent a lot of my free time there, but I'm not a huge fan of this type of "arcadish" games.
I already have F1 2016 and that was a great game!

Is F1 2017 a must buy right this Friday at full price? (55€ on PC) or it's better to wait some time (how much? Months?) to buy it on sale?
The FFB and car handling (compared to 2016) can make the difference in my choice.

Let me know what you think about it and what you'll do this year.
Cheers

I'll definitely wait.
I prefer race sims & this series is more of an arcade than a sim, but for me, what it usually has instead is good atmosphere in the career mode which makes a nice change from the out and out sim.

But I have been constantly disappointed in Codemasters for the regular, repeated bugs/mistakes. Sim or not, some of them spoil my enjoyment - mainly faulty tyre wear or pit stops & unfair performance when a car is out of sight.
So after owning 2010, 11, 12, I stopped buying it for a few years, but decided to give it another go with F1 2016. I only recently bought '16 in a sale, so 17 will be a year away for me.

I also think it's way too expensive. £39.99 was a joke, £45 is ludicrous. So I will wait once again for a sale when it eventually goes for around £15.

If you spend alot of time in 2016 game.. you probably will do the same with this. Just a 2 hour in myself ,but i can see it taking my time. A bit arcadish.. sure , but very fun game to a fan of the sport!

Come on Paul? Is it any good? :D

Limited running before breakfast and work but I like it. Easy to set up, seen some people saying it's a performance hog but not from what I have seen, even a wet start to a race ran great. FFB is better, gfx are better. Really looking forward to the career there is nothing else like it in sim racing, why other sims think we would not enjoy micromanaging a season of engines and gearboxes and developments is beyond me.

Sound is improved but still no patch on the best like Raceroom.

You can drive a Renault R26 so that's a winner from me straight away.

Limited running before breakfast and work but I like it. Easy to set up, seen some people saying it's a performance hog but not from what I have seen, even a wet start to a race ran great. FFB is better, gfx are better. Really looking forward to the career there is nothing else like it in sim racing, why other sims think we would not enjoy micromanaging a season of engines and gearboxes and developments is beyond me.

Sound is improved but still no patch on the best like Raceroom.

You can drive a Renault R26 so that's a winner from me straight away.

As a die hard F1 fan (until next year) I will be getting it Paul, but I am going to wait for you to review it properly mate. ;):)

As a die hard F1 fan (until next year) I will be getting it Paul, but I am going to wait for you to review it properly mate. ;):)

@Andy Jackson Hi mate had a good few hours on it now starting my career with Renault A.I at 95%(Legend). I did my usual drive around Barcelona to test as I love coming out of Repsol corner turn 4 with the tyres just lightly spinning up, it's my little test of the tyre model and just as the Formula Ultimate's in AMS and Formula Hybrid's on A.C it behaved in just the same way a lovely little spin up that you can feel.

The FFb is very good for road feel and communication I have lost the rear numerous times sometimes catching it sometimes not but it is believable and natural at those slip angles. My only downside is the tyres don't feel as pneumatic as the others although they slip and slide they don't seem to offer the feeling of biting the tarmac when they grip, the cars feel like they grip but it the tyres are lacking that little bit of magic compared to the other two.

GFX look and run great on my PC (970 & o.c'd i5) 90+fps on decent looking settings. Tracks, lighting and shadows very nice, a spin round Albert Park in the early evening is lovely and also effects how you spot your breaking points etc.

Sound is a lot better this year there is a more pronounced turbo whistle, just lacking a little low end fidelity like the Formula Hybrid's for instance.

No glitches or bugs so far and career mode at 50% race distance is as engrossing as ever.

I don't regret buying it for one second and the career mode will keep me out of trouble for a long time.

If you pay full price on steam you have the option to refund of course, two hours will more than suffice to find if you like it or not.

Hope this helps your decision mate.

Uh, and of course I'll give you my first impressions on the game.

Yesterday evening I spent 5 long hours into the game just to have a glance of what the main frame of the game is.
I firstly did a 25% race at Spa as Palmer, to setup the wheel, the video settings and the AI level, then I started the 50% career mode with McLaren as Williams was too overpowered for my tastes.

• The FFB: right out of the box is too aggressive and not detailed at all, full of clipping spikes that saturate all the feeling, but with some patience I came to a good compromise. It's way off from both AC or AMS level of detail and precision, but it's enjoyable and consistent, not too much different from what I remember of 2016.
  • The AI (tested at 95%): best AI so far, ever. It's aggressive and keeps the throttle flat out even in side-by-side action, but sometimes it should be smarter to wait a good spot to overtake safely. Finally this year the gap between qualifying and race pace is increased by the 1 second the game needed: blazing fast in Q and consistent during the race. Most important: their times drop as the tyres worn out.
What I liked:
  • Custom button mapping for DMF (used the switcher on my T300 to change the fuel mix, but you can map everything you want).
  • Weekend tasks (R&D) are easier to complete and closer to what they simulate (ex: race pace run has the same times as my actual race pace, while last year the test needed faster times to be completed).
  • Fuel management: more complex than last year, it's definitely a thing I had to look at during my race. Shortshifting and lifting is definitely a couple of things you need to do.
  • The AI (see above).
  • The game settings: big number of video, audio settings, wheel customization, UDP support out of the box, camera settings, AI level slider, weekend details..

What I didn't like:
  • Max fuel allowed per race is wrong: 100% race is 100kg, so at 50% and 25% races should be 50kg and 25kg, instead in 50% races you can put as much fuel as you want and the same do the AI.
  • The engineer: same, useless man as last year. At least he didn't start talking during my last qualifying lap.
  • The car setup (same bad one as last year).

@Andy Jackson Hi mate had a good few hours on it now starting my career with Renault A.I at 95%(Legend).

I don't regret buying it for one second and the career mode will keep me out of trouble for a long time.
Hope this helps your decision mate.
Sorry for late reply, been mountain climbing up Snowdonia. It certainly does Paul. I value your review. Many thanks mate. :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 6919

I didn't buy from Steam, so it's a fair deal, I think the drive/physics are not bad, FFB has improved, I do think the R&D upgrades looking at it can be done to quickly still, especially if your planning to do a full career. The graphics are a improvement on F12016, and if you want a fairly large fps improvement put vehicle reflection to high, you wont hardly notice the difference in looks if at all, but for me on my 1070 gained another 30fps, which is really handy for the wet weather racing, everything else is turned up, my only gripe with the graphics is the brightness on track, practice 2 at Melbourne was in the afternoon, and I had to turn the gamma control ingame up from 105 to 150 just to beable to see the track surface, this needs sorting, it's way to dark. Sound is ok, could be better, but then I tend to compare with the best..R3E..So apart from the R7D progress and graphics at certain times being dark, and not paying the bloated price I think it's not a bad sim/cade to own..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back