Worried about the future of rF2

As the topic suggests...

As a long time ISI supporter and follower, i am now feeling a bit worried for the future.The number of new users coming in to rFactor2 seems to be dwindling.

Also there is a long time between the new official content. And even when there is official content released, it seems to fail to gather an interest (Civics in December) amongst the yet unitiated.

Also, the mod community seems a lot more reluctant than for rF1, with very few members adding content.This is even more worrying as it was the foundation of rF1 and a big selling point for bringing more people to the franchise (race anything you like).

ISI now also faces a stiff competition as the "sim" genre has become "hot" again with more titles in the works, that seem to gather a LOT more interest: AC, pCars etc.

The old veterans like myself are finding ourselves drawn to the likes of GSC, and newcomers are moving towards AC and probably DTM Experience.

I start this topic to see if someone shares my worries, and also to discuss if something can be done to once again bring more interest to rF2?

My personal idea is to go for Steam greenlighting (i actually REALLY like Steam as a platform), to gain exposure and also simplify the purchasing as well as updating.
Connecting it to Workshop makes modding interesting again, like what AC proposes.

I want rF2 to succeed, it is by far the most comprehensive take on simulating the actual race mechanics and based on that it should be the goto title for the serious sim-user, but right now i fear it is not.

Discussions on graphics i will however discard personally, as a) rF2 is pretty enough and b) the prettiest of settings in something like pCars is inaccesible to 95% of users.

So, what is your view of the status of the product?

Points of improvement needed going forward as identified in this thread so far:

* Better GUI (incoming)
* Steam integration and release
* Possible new distribution method that would automate updates and sync, if not steam
* New official content
* More transparent development
* Shorter build intervals
* More efficient code and optimization of codebase
* A possibility to "lock down" the core functionality, to deliver something considered stable and final
* New updater that allows automatic updating of content as well, including adding NEW
content

Last edited:
I disagree, I can't get the GT cars around a lap so they must suck [/sarcasm] :cautious:
It's actually the open wheelers that i'm mostly spinning out with :) The thing is, other than the official isi gt/touring cars, the mods are just "meh" handling wise. And official isi gt/touring cars don't really interest me. I'm eagerly waiting for bentley speed 8 and that gt500 car that isi are making. Other than that, back to asr formula for me.

I would love some isi made r8 lms or z4 gt3 though.

@Richard Eriksson

It seems you were spot on a year ago. :thumbsup:

Points of improvement needed going forward as identified in this thread so far:

* Better GUI (incoming)
==> :thumbsup: Done
* Steam integration and release
==> :whistling: rFactor 1 first...
* Possible new distribution method that would automate updates and sync,
* New official content
==> :D :thumbsup:, and more coming... and all previous content will be updated.
* More transparent development
==> :whistling: (@Timothy Wheatley ;))
* Shorter build intervals
==> +/- every month. Good enough ?
* More efficient code and optimization of codebase
==> :thumbsup: (still a lot of cleaning up to do)
* A possibility to "lock down" the core functionality, to deliver something considered stable and final
==> :p Never! But all "old content" is unaffected: the first "mod" is still playable. :)
* New updater that allows automatic updating of content as well, including adding NEW content.

After 25.000 page views and + 400 posts discussing our worries about the future of rF2, we stopped worrying? :cool: or not... :sneaky:

Well yeah, i am LESS worried now. :)

It is still the best "simulation" package, and has remained so by the changes made to it. But it needs some more things before being a complete package... If there could ever be such a thing. Best thing was move to 64-bit exec... Really really sweet.

On my wishlist now:

Steam still and DIRT PHYSICS! :)

Well yeah, i am LESS worried now. :)

It is still the best "simulation" package, and has remained so by the changes made to it. But it needs some more things before being a complete package... If there could ever be such a thing. Best thing was move to 64-bit exec... Really really sweet.

On my wishlist now:

Steam still and DIRT PHYSICS! :)
Dirt physics would be really nice. I did some adjustments to the Megane (4wd system, diffrent tire wear and heating, adjustable handbrake) to drive it at Lost Valley after we had the RallyeCross event at Blackwood. It is already quite a bit of fun, but far from pefrect. I have to take a deeper look at the Quad tires and suspension, but I had a few hours fun already. The big struggle is still the tire heating. I had to reduce it a lot on the Megane tires, because they were overheating spinning on loose ground :(

@Frederic Schornstein, it's one thing tweaking the cars, and that's something we need to experiment with (since we can due to rF2 being so modable). But it also needs support from the engine team, as in surface modeling and dynamics. For instance, the dirt track reelased "as a bonus", Lost Valley, is still just a flat surface track with different textures and some parameters.

What i'd love to see is proper gravel simulation, as in road surface dynamics. It's actually a bit of a shame that RBR is STILL the only sim with a halfway decent representation of gravel road dynamics. And that was released so long ago that it is starting to look like a museum item :)

rF2 has the potential to bring that into the package and make it modern again... And it would give it an edge over other sims in the market, as none of them offer proper gravel and/or offroad dynamics...

A possibility for rallycross (notice the name is not Rally-X or 'autocross' all you americans) :)

It would be bliss.

was massively put off of RF2 late last year. This new update has brought rf2 back to the forefront imo. Those tyre physics are very good. imo rf2 just pulled that bit away again from GSC.
Although to add to this I think there's inconsistencies among rf2 physics across cars the single seaters feel miles better than the closed cockpits cars. Unlike gsc where you feel that your driving cars all done by the same people. Rf2 feels uneven some good some hit n miss

Although to add to this I think there's inconsistencies among rf2 physics across cars the single seaters feel miles better than the closed cockpits cars. Unlike gsc where you feel that your driving cars all done by the same people. Rf2 feels uneven some good some hit n miss
I think that's just a case of the RF2 platform being a WIP (regardless of it being 'released') and not all the cars being updated with the latest features. I'm looking forwards to the Brabham update.

A possibility for rallycross (notice the name is not Rally-X or 'autocross' all you americans) :)

Hey, I resemble that remark! Ought we not abbr. everything? lol. But definitely, if ISI could get the dirt side of things implemented into the rest of their platform in the same manner then the entire package would be fantastico! Especially on mixed surface tracks like Oulton RX (take that!). Throw in snow/sleet dynamics and this sim could win over a lot more fans regardless of development stage. Which, speaking of, is it officially released? I can't ever tell...

@Richard Eriksson

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5aiywjrf0qeo3ct/DontWorry_ui.rfcmp?dl=0

- save it in your packages folder
- install it with the mod-manager
- open rF2
- click options
- click user interfaces

:thumbsup:

GRAB_000.JPG

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year