World Champion McNish Completes the BBC’s F1 team for 2014

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Reigning FIA World Endurance Champion Allan McNish will be an integral part of the BBC’s F1 team for 2014 as co-commentator for Radio 5 live and expert analyst across TV, radio and online.
Dumfries-born McNish will be “live” from the radio commentary box and will also feature across the BBC’s F1 output.

Allan, who announced his retirement last month from Le Mans sports-prototype racing, will use his extensive experience and knowledge gleaned from all areas of motorsport to steer audiences through the intricacies of the forthcoming season.
“Now that I have ‘hung up’ my racing helmet, I am really looking forward to joining the BBC team again for what I am sure is going to be a fantastic new F1 season,” commented McNish who is an Ambassador for Audi Sport.

“With so many technical rule changes, as well as team and driver movements, there will be lots of things happening on and off the track for the BBC team to bring to its various audiences”.
McNish, one of the most respected names in the world of motorsport, became Britain’s first sportscar world champion for 21 years and Scotland’s first ever in a 2013 season that saw him win a third career Le Mans 24 Hour race. He also worked as F1 co-commentator alongside James Allen for Radio 5 live.
Ben Gallop, BBC Head of F1, added: “The 2014 F1 season picks up pace tomorrow as testing begins and the BBC’s F1 team is ready to deliver another exciting year of coverage.

“We’re delighted that Allan McNish is on board with the team this year in an expanded role, his experience and expertise is an invaluable addition and audiences love him.”

BBC One and BBC One HD will show nine races “live” on TV, including Silverstone, Canada, Monza and Spa, as well as the season finale from Abu Dhabi, with extended highlights programmes of the remaining races. This goes the same for practice and qualifying.

Every Grands Prix of the season will be live on Radio 5 live or 5 live sports extra with live coverage of practice and qualifying. Plus all the action, news, reviews via the BBC Sport App and the BBC Sport Website, with Andrew Benson as Chief F1 writer.

McNish was on Audi Sport ambassadorial duty for the first time at the Daytona 24 Hours last weekend (25-26 Jan) – an annual twice-around-the clock race in Florida that Allan placed second on three occasions.

Source: Audi Press

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years