World Champion! Hamilton Becomes 5-Time WDC

Personally, I really hope that he sticks around long enough to claim 8 (or more) titles, legitimately, without cheating or using dirty tricks or crashing into people to win, just to prove that it can be done cleanly (looking at you, Schumacher).

Replace Vettel? I think Vettel wouldn't have made most, if not all of his mistakes with proper team support, and if Raikkonen acted more like Bottas (which I don't agree with, but it's part of the sport) then ferrari would have wrapped it up and Hamilton would still be a 4 time champion.

There's some truth to your assertion, absolutely, which is why I believe Ferrari must hire some better team principals. However, I think that Vettel is prone to make more mistakes than Hamilton and he doesn't seem to be able to know when to attack and when to wait. I wonder if the pressure of being the Ferrari team leader is not a bit too much to bear?

There's some truth to your assertion, absolutely, which is why I believe Ferrari must hire some better team principals. However, I think that Vettel is prone to make more mistakes than Hamilton and he doesn't seem to be able to know when to attack and when to wait. I wonder if the pressure of being the Ferrari team leader is not a bit too much to bear?
I won't disagree, Vettel is the weaker driver under pressure, and as much as I wanted him to deny Hamilton the title, without a strong team behind him, he won't get anywhere. That's where I think Alonso is the ultimate, he does not, if rarely, make mistakes under immense pressure, and I would have not bet against him to win the 2017 and 18 titles in that Ferrari.

Drivers then that had no money where driving for their families dinner !

They had no option but to race what was untold times more dangerous conditions

You could not pay Lewis to do what they did, besides the fact his insurance company would not let him

WD on 5th title Lewis and well deserved

Again, different times!
You think that Lewis, Alonso, Kimi, Magnussen, to mention just a few, cared about money at all when they started karting? They wanted to be WC and had nothing but the dream.
If any of them grew up in the 40/50/60s, when things were as they were, you don't know if they would race or not anyway. You think Senna wanted to die in that car? You think Lauda wanted? You think anyone wanted to, getting into a piece of machinery? No, they wanted the dream!

He's a great driver with obviously THE car to beat of this era. I wish he did not whine and complain so much, even when things are going to plan, he seems like somebody stole his lollipop. But I wish that about most of these guys, actually. What they do off the track does not interest me in the least, unless they are into sim racing.
To be fair if you put a microphone in any of our cars while we were driving we'd probably do a lot worse than an odd moan. We hear radio when something worth broadcasting is said, so that means race related or drivers doing something somewhat controversial. I don't think it's fair at all to use those cherry picked moments and say he complains a lot. In the heat of the moment, of course he's going to be anything other than calm.

I really don't see this whinny Hamilton that other see.

he is lucky that Alonso has been driving shitty cars last decade. Bad for the F1 show. Real shame that they dont make them compete again would be great!
When were Formula 1 cars ever on a level pegging? There is always one or two teams that do better than everyone else.

I have to disagree with this one.... He is certainly right up there, but the era that he drove in is so much more a result of the $'s and the tech that some teams bring to the table, but Senna?, Fangio?,Stewart?, I don't think so.
Cheers
I found the older formula 1 cars in AC much easier to drive than the bang up to date Ferrari F1 car. That thing was like trying to send a text message while your driving. Once I got the hang of the old cars it was just a matter of driving them, little else to worry about. So I don't accept that it requires any kind of special skill set to drive them, balls of steel sure, but there's no reason why Hamilton couldn't apply modern racing techniques to those cars and win all around him in any era, Hamilton is an athlete, like all modern drivers. Those guys back then were just very talented, but they lack all the education and skill development that modern drivers have.

So I don't accept that it requires any kind of special skill set to drive them, balls of steel sure, but there's no reason why Hamilton couldn't apply modern racing techniques to those cars and win all around him in any era, Hamilton is an athlete, like all modern drivers. Those guys back then were just very talented, but they lack all the education and skill development that modern drivers have.

I wish I could remember the name of the driver who said that being a racing driver is all about being able to adapt to different cars, different driving conditions and different technologies. There's no doubt in my mind that Hamilton would have been amazing at the wheel of a Lotus 49, just like Jim Clark would have been amazing at the wheel of the 2018 Mercedes.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hamilton would have been amazing at the wheel of a Lotus 49, just like Jim Clark would have been amazing at the wheel of the 2018 Mercedes.
As long as he had the same level of education that Hamilton has had that's probably true. (although, I think racing has been broken down enough that just about anyone could be trained to do it if you get them early enough) The fact is a lot has changed, racing is professional now, it wasn't back then, people tried to the best of their abilities but they just weren't in the same league as modern drivers. I don't think you could just pluck him out of the past and give him a few months to learn a modern car, he's just too far behind someone who's been learning modern racing from the age of 12.

We're better at everything these days, that's just a fact, even things like mental conditioning wasn't available in the past.

Personally, I really hope that he sticks around long enough to claim 8 (or more) titles, legitimately, without cheating or using dirty tricks or crashing into people to win, just to prove that it can be done cleanly (looking at you, Schumacher).
Sooo true. Compared to other f1drivers / world champions Schumacher, although incredibly talented, really was a dirty driver, on and off track.

Schumacher can't defend himself, so I Will. Ham won't brake that record, because the youngsters will be in his neck! Max and Leclerc. Max had the best car in Mexico, easy win, Ham has the best car for years, also easy winning but this glory will end, it allways does!

Last edited:
Where's all the naysayers from last year saying Hamilton only wins because he's in the superior car? Oh yea, that's right, Ferrari had the superior car this year and had a 4x champion driving it and Hamilton still won the title again.

I said last year that Hamilton is the arguably the best driver ever and sooner or later, even the naysayers will have no choice but to finally admit it true.

His and Mercedes domination of F1 is getting quite boring... But how could I blame him and his team for being simply the best at what they do? The sad state of F1 should in no way diminish the brilliance of their accomplishments. Hamilton doesn’t crash needlessly into others like so many current drivers, he is a clean racer and on a qualifying lap, he is virtually unbeatable. I am not a fan of his, but I highly admire and respect him. He deserves every single championship he has and is on his way to tie Schumacher’s 7 titles. He is now in the same league as the all-time greats.
that's fair enough, if Schumacher didn't drive for Ferrari in those years, he would probably have less titles as well,

I suppose to a degree, it's also a team + pilot combination, just becasue Hamilton and Mercedes worked great, it doesn't mean that Mercedes + Vettel would have worked the same, but also the other way, Hamilton could struggle in Ferrari , ... it's just that sometimes the combination is unbeatable , like it was Schumi in Ferrari and is now Hamilton in Mercedes

btw to all those that keep praising the good old days, I think that if you were to able to put old generation against new generation drivers, they would all lose and loose badly
the amount of focus , athletism, endurance , training new drivers go through is immensely on different level then those old they whey they raced for fun

yes, some of the new drivers might not be willing to take the risks, but I think they would be much faster once they get used to the cars

it's a bit like saying that new soccer players won't match the old ones, if they had to use the same shoes, etc.

FIVE (5) TIMES WORLD CHAMPION!
Only two other people did it.
Niki Lauda personally talked to Hamilton to convince him to Join Mercedes. At that time many thought it was a bad move since Mercedes was not even in the top three teams.
In his rookie year he was second in the championship in front of Alonso in the same team. Alonso was so pissed that he decided to denounce Maclaren, (his own team), for spying at Ferrarri. I don't believe in Karma but Alonso is carrying that Karma ever since.

Last edited:
btw to all those that keep praising the good old days, I think that if you were to able to put old generation against new generation drivers, they would all lose and loose badly
the amount of focus , athletism, endurance , training new drivers go through is immensely on different level then those old they whey they raced for fun

yes, some of the new drivers might not be willing to take the risks, but I think they would be much faster once they get used to the cars

it's a bit like saying that new soccer players won't match the old ones, if they had to use the same shoes, etc.
That is exactly why “GOAT“ discussions are pointless. They all raced under different circumstances and nothing can prove what would happen if they were in different era and those rules, training, etc. All we can is compare them year by year with open mind and no bias. And for this and last year that says Lewis is the best for that period. Don‘t want to go further to past, I hope you get my point.

There are a lot of modern "conveniences" but you still have to drive the car. Just look at the launch Hamilton got at the start of this last race. Mashing buttons... whatever. He consistently pulls stuff out of his rear like that. I really can't stand Mercedes but they have THE car and the man can drive it like a bat out of hell, to the limits, and still manage to make his tires last as long as they ask of him. He may bitch and whine about things a lot but he almost never makes stupid mistakes like some others manage to do nearly every race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%