World Champion! Hamilton Becomes 5-Time WDC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Lewis Hamilton World Champion.jpg

Lewis Hamilton becomes the most successful British driver in history, securing a record fifth World Championship with fourth position at the Mexican Grand Prix.

Dazzling, scintillating, incredible, determined, powerful and fast... just some of the words to describe the performances this season of the latest Formula One World Champion. Lewis Hamilton becomes, at the age of just 33, only the third five time World Champion in the history of the sport - drawing level with the great Juan Manuel Fangio and behind only 7-time victor and legend of the sport Michael Schumacher.

Having enjoyed the benefit of arguably the best car in the field for much of his Grand Prix career, Hamilton has made the most of the advantages afforded him by his team to put his indisputable stamp on the sport these last 11 years, wracking up an incredible record of race victories, podiums and championships on his way to setting new standards for a Grand Prix driver over the last decade.

With yet another success now under his belt, Hamilton and Mercedes have just two more Grand Prix in which to enjoy the fruits of their seasons labour before the real work of 2019 begins again.

Having fended off a determined challenge from Ferrari and fellow 4-time title winner Sebastian Vettel for much of the year, 2018 should surely go down as one of the more satisfying successes for the Englishman, both team and driver having to push themselves harder than usual as the gap between Mercedes and the rest of the field has reduced from the last few seasons, the team advantage held throughout the hybrid turbo era not as substantial as has been the case in the last few seasons.

A deserving champion for sure, can Hamilton now push on and match or overcome the once thought unassailable records of Michael Schumacher? Only time will tell....

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think Hamilton is a deserving WDC this season? Can the Briton be regarded as one of the greats of the sport now? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

He parties, travels, wears gold chains, moans on the radio, moody when he loses but most importantly does the job when it matters.

Well deserved champion....

Hamilton is up there with the all time Greats of F1 Nuvolari,Fangio,Ascari,Clark,Stewart,Prost,Senna & Schumacher
Could beat Schumachers records in the next few years.
Will always divide opinion when it comes to his personality.........

Hamilton is great yes but has he done himself enough to become Sir Lewis Hamilton, has he given out anything to the country he was born in, I dont think so he deserves his MBE upgraded to a CBE...

I remembered hearing Martin Brundle and Paul di Resta saying that any driver on the grid would love to be in the "scarlet red" driving for Ferrari, but I highly doubt that Lewis wants to drive for them at all. The only thing that he needs from them is to keep losing and making it easy for him to win.
That's one of the things that I really like about Hamilton's great career, he has never needed to be in a Ferrari for his success.

Hamilton is up there with the all time Greats of F1 Nuvolari,Fangio,Ascari,Clark,Stewart,Prost,Senna & Schumacher

What's wrong with Lewis, too boring or?

I am not a Lewis fan, however he is an incredible driver, and this WC was deserved after being pushed for (most?) of the season. C'mon Leclerc and Ferrari, blow his socks of next year

Hamilton is great yes but has he done himself enough to become Sir Lewis Hamilton, has he given out anything to the country he was born in, I dont think so he deserves his MBE upgraded to a CBE...

As for Clarity on this comment I posted, He may have done enough for a knighthood but thats up to the Awards committee to decide, who knows it could have got it already and may be awarded it in the New Years Honours, but you need at least 2 or more people to recommend you for it and well its up to the Awards Committee to decide on it, I have a strong likelihood hes got it, you cant reveal anything until the awards have been published in January

I remembered hearing Martin Brundle and Paul di Resta saying that any driver on the grid would love to be in the "scarlet red" driving for Ferrari, but I highly doubt that Lewis wants to drive for them at all. The only thing that he needs from them is to keep losing and making it easy for him to win.
That's one of the things that I really like about Hamilton's great career, he has never needed to be in a Ferrari for his success.
Well, during his career he was always in a car equal or better than Ferrari, so that's why no need. ;)

I thought that Moss in that company (just based on memory, which is bad these days)... :D

Anyway, congrats to Lewis, great season, great drive when it was needed!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%