PC1 WMD Money

Matej Lakota

Sriple Tix
Interestnig, WMD returned me today (on my PayPal account) money I invested 3 years ago to pCARS game +10%. Well done, I totally forgot for it :D

Last edited:
Look Andy, for some it was an investment, for many (i don't know anyone, who joined for financial reasons and i can say that i know many) it wasn't. There's nothing wrong treating it as an investment. But let's not start another futile discussion, we're happy, you're happy, let's do the simracing (haven't driven for three weeks now:().

I think we should give some credit where credit is due. A WMD kind of system is the only moral way of doing these kind of pre-order/kickstarter things. Just look at how many kickstarted games have been complete fiascos where the developers just ran off with the money and never delivered the product. It's been such a big problem that kickstarter themselves are starting to police the projects on a new level.

I think there should be some legal system in place where people can "invest" money in projects they believe in but this in turn also requires the developers to bring the product out or at the very least pay people back their money if they are unhappy, at any time of the project development cycle. All of this is something SMS honored extremely well. Weren't happy? You could get your money back at any time. After release, still not happy? You get a part of the profits (which in this case will mean you'll ultimately MAKE money from the game instead of lose it.. granted, it's over a long period of time though, like 6 years.. 3 years of development and 3 years of "royalties"). Anyhow, thanks SMS for honoring the WMD system!

That's not the point :)
But i can't say "that's the only true way of doing things" whilst it has been shut down by governmental departments :D

I feel it would be incorrect to say its a bad way of doing things just because the government banned it. They banned it b/c broadly, it fell afoul of regulations protecting unknowledgeable investors being sold bogus financial products. FINRA is dealing with the same thing in the States and is moving towards liberalizing it for these specialized cases.

And you're kind of implying that the government gets it right in every case.

For gamers, I think the SMS model is a great way to finance games. Companies get capital and testers, "investors" are paying for beta access, and at the end if its a commercial success everybody gets a slice. I thought SMS was quite clear what was on the table and what the risks were. I think for niche games and simulators this would be a great way to continue. Ideally, I'd like to see game companies create focused, detailed sims funded by the hardcore base (think DIRT Rally or ARMA), but then be able to use some of that work or simplify it for a mass audience and profit from it. You'd think the end commercial product would be better having the core functions honed by pros.

That's not the point :)
But i can't say "that's the only true way of doing things" whilst it has been shut down by governmental departments :D

Well, did you know that Kickstarter and similar funding sites were completely illegal in EU until just a few years ago?

Or are you a government shill? Since when have any of the western governments done anything smart financially wise in the past 20 years? Right.. never.

LoL :laugh: I would take the payment as a refund for all the promised parts of the sim that came with the final release and still haven't.
Yes a part refund for not making the "best race sim ever". ;)

mod-edit: personal attacks removed

Last edited by a moderator:
mod-edit: personal attacks removed
When are you going to stop appearing here accusing people of trolling and agenda's? You pop up now and again to cause trouble.
If you don't like it here, why bother coming back now and again?

ps, I like Pcars, I really do. I race it here as a premium member. What is your contribution?
Double ps, I got a WMD Payment too.;) And I never invested.

mod-edit: also in this thread i can speak for myself but I can't be bothered.

mod-edit: night

Last edited:
It's easy to focus on the bugs, but if you look at what pCARS achieved on consoles it's pretty awesome. The only previous sim-esque game to hit consoles was Race Pro on the Xbox 360, which was graphically way behind Forza and became a tiny niche thing talked about but rarely owned/played. pCARS has made a big dent, particularly in the Gran Turismo community which is currently waiting for GT7.

For many without access to a PC this is their first step into a game with decent physics, FFB and those things PC sim racers take for granted like field of view, tuneable AI difficulty, big fields, wide track selection.

I'd say that it's raised the bar for the kind of features which many Forza/Gran Turismo fans now expect. Forza 6 has appeared and obviously does the fully licensed car collecting thing impressively, but the actual driving physics are now being compared to the pCARS benchmark. That's a big win. If it influences the next Forza and Gran Turismo to offer more sim-relevant capabilities, that's another big win.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 411 39.9%