Wish Steam would pick up this sim

I have to agree on both comments. For me.....I seem to have more fun on GSCE than any other sim. In an all around package.....I don't think you can beat it.

I think ( and maybe it's just me ).....but the DL'ing and install of this sim can kind of be a pain. Never understood why the DL'd content is in a VLC type file and a lot of times the files are corrupt by the time the DL finishes. I had to DL all three files 3 different times and then mix-match them to get the program to work. The GSC Sync thing didn't work correctly the first 4 - 5 times I used it either.....as it kept saying my program was up to date....it wasn't.

I think having it available on Steam would be awesome! Every single program I have ever bought from steam works flawlessly. And this Sim deserves soooo much more publicity than it gets. Some of the driving "games " on steam get passed off as " sims ".....and those people who buy them have no idea what they are missing.

Agreed Andrew, Reiza your sim has great support with it's loyal community now spread the love :inlove:
Steam or crowd funding is crying out for it. There maybe a hit on the profits but in the long run it pays off, did n't do Project Cars any harm. Just a little push on the marketing side will bring it all together, I know some near by who would be willing to help :whistling::whistling:

Agreed Andrew, Reiza your sim has great support with it's loyal community now spread the love :inlove:
Steam or crowd funding is crying out for it. There maybe a hit on the profits but in the long run it pays off, did n't do Project Cars any harm. Just a little push on the marketing side will bring it all together, I know some near by who would be willing to help :whistling::whistling:
I don't think it will hit the profits (even with the Steam fees). From a marketing standpoint (I did marketing for some years) the peak sales are done - the target market is sim racers, and most sim racers probably already have GSC by now. The updates and change to Extreme with DLC might/should have given another boost to sales, and should settle down again. Now, Steam or a similar platform could be used to increase the exposure and boost sales in this tertiary stage by adding others to the target market, other gamers. I'd have never heard of it if I weren't a sim racer on RD for example, and there are plenty of other gamers who will be in the same boat. Of course I have no access to specific sales stats but in general that is how it works and this could be a good step. I could be completely wrong regarding GSC, and I don't know the Steam in and outs, I don't want to come across like I know everything.

Yeah, I'd agree that Steam is mostly unavoidable these days. But, and I'm just thinking outloud here, I'd say that GSCE would benefit from a few changes to make it a bit more newbie-friendly before getting to Steam.

Most people here are used to, and unafraid of, editing .ini and .plr files with notepad, for instance, to make changes to the game. The average Steam user is not. So I believe that GSCE should have something of a menu overhaul, if at all possible, to try to make those usual changes more explicit and easier for the average user (I'm thinking mostly about creating custom championships, but there are more things like advanced graphic options, rearview mirror settings, etc.). Another thing that would be useful is at least some tooltips for setup options so a newbie can have at least some idea of what the settings do.

No idea how easily those suggestions could be implemented, though, since I'm no designer nor programmer!

Most people here are used to, and unafraid of, editing .ini and .plr files with notepad, for instance, to make changes to the game. The average Steam user is not. So I believe that GSCE should have something of a menu overhaul, if at all possible, to try to make those usual changes more explicit and easier for the average user (I'm thinking mostly about creating custom championships, but there are more things like advanced graphic options, rearview mirror settings, etc.). Another thing that would be useful is at least some tooltips for setup options so a newbie can have at least some idea of what the settings do.

No idea how easily those suggestions could be implemented, though, since I'm no designer nor programmer!

This is my fear if Reiza take this to Steam.
I have always liked the Gmotor engine and the way it can be widely edited. I fear that this modifying might be restricted by Steam, with all it's auto updating systems - there may be a reduced freedom of choice when it comes to what files are on your system. That's fine if you are an online player, but when editing files for offline racing I really want to continue to be able to tailor the game to my abilities and rules.

Keith, I understand what you mean but I don't think you should worry too much about it - as long as the game doesn't become full Steamworks (that is, running on Valve's servers), you should still be able to edit files as normal. The main issue with Steam's auto-updates is that it doesn't let you roll back to previous patches if you want to - and I know that's a problem for some people, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. I have both Race07 and Assetto Corsa on Steam and they're all fully modded, so I can't see why that would be an issue for GSCE :)

But I still think the game would be vastly improved with an in-game championship creator (like Race 07) and setup tooltips (like AC), and would be much more newbie friendly. The way it is right now you don't even know what tracks you'll race on if you select a championship, for instance.

Last edited:
There is no question that Steam is the place to be for PC developers. We have been hesitant to make that move in previous releases for a few reasons, but that has changed. We´ll see what the future brings :)
Yes Reiza! This has to be done in my humble opinion. I think this would do wonders for the online aspect of your game. Your exposure would surely be well deserved. :thumbsup:

The main thing that has put me off buying GSCE is the amount of stories I've heard of the problems people have had installing the game and getting their official licence key to work. You can see them even in this forum. Yes, it's great that the support at Reiza sorts it out, but I don't want that hassle to even be a possibility.

I have over 100 steam games and they all just work. No hassle. No support emails. No installation issues.

I have GSCE and many other steam racing games, I don't have any more problems with GSCE than with any of my Steam games. I could only guess why some are having issues but in my opinion you are missing out on a VERY good, and very inexpensive, racing "sim" because of a few that struggle.
The vast majority of PC gaming problems are brought on by users themselves or the nature of the beast - SOOO many PC configurations and computers in an unstable state, a developers nightmare. BUT, the ability to tweak, customize, and mod are the very reason I like PC virtual racing.

This is my fear if Reiza take this to Steam.
I have always liked the Gmotor engine and the way it can be widely edited. I fear that this modifying might be restricted by Steam, with all it's auto updating systems - there may be a reduced freedom of choice when it comes to what files are on your system. That's fine if you are an online player, but when editing files for offline racing I really want to continue to be able to tailor the game to my abilities and rules.
DCS is available through steam and I can think of few games that are more heavily tweaked through Notepad++ than it. Just about everything is in lua files and people endlessly tweak them to taste. Steam doesn't do anything to limit this.

As a mostly Rfactor engine neophyte (more of a simbin title fan, never got on with rf1) I found the GSCE installation mostly painless. Couple of things (wombats.dll, easier controller setup) would have been nice to know without having to search first, but other than that (and a couple of questionable interface choices) was plain sailing.
Compared to Rfactor2 (nightmare download, install and interface), GSCE was a breeze.

As a mostly Rfactor engine neophyte (more of a simbin title fan, never got on with rf1) I found the GSCE installation mostly painless. Couple of things (wombats.dll, easier controller setup) would have been nice to know without having to search first, but other than that (and a couple of questionable interface choices) was plain sailing.
Compared to Rfactor2 (nightmare download, install and interface), GSCE was a breeze.

You can't compare them in terms of driving though. Rfactor 2 is miles ahead, and once it's set up, it's a breeze.

Also, what more do you need from a menu? It does what you need, and does it well.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%