Tracks WIP - Santa Monica Mountains

Hey guys, I just wanted to make a post here to say hi and to let you know that updates ARE coming! I was out of town (out driving!) for 5 weeks through August into September, so all progress was of course halted during that time. I went on a few different road trips, 7,000 miles and 14 states in the end. About half of that was in my '71 BMW 2002 which is of course what I typically take out to enjoy these canyon roads around Santa Monica. It was an epic and much needed adventure!

Anyway, it has taken me a few weeks to get back into the swing of things after returning home, but trust that I am indeed back to work on this stuff. What you can expect to see first is an update to The Snake alpha which I had previously released. I've doubled it's length and am just finishing up the final touches before updating that.

After that I plan to put The Snake on the backburner and return my focus on getting this larger network of roads up to the same level. The Snake will also be included as part of this network. I'm sorry that I don't have anything else to share at the moment, but yeah keep watching, I promise things are coming!
-Todd

PXL_20210809_171736869.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just wanted to make a post here to say hi and to let you know that updates ARE coming! I was out of town (out driving!) for 5 weeks through August into September, so all progress was of course halted during that time. I went on a few different road trips, 7,000 miles and 14 states in the end. About half of that was in my '71 BMW 2002 which is of course what I typically take out to enjoy these canyon roads around Santa Monica. It was an epic and much needed adventure!

Anyway, it has taken me a few weeks to get back into the swing of things after returning home, but trust that I am indeed back to work on this stuff. What you can expect to see first is an update to The Snake alpha which I had previously released. I've doubled it's length and am just finishing up the final touches before updating that.

After that I plan to put The Snake on the backburner and return my focus on getting this larger network of roads up to the same level. The Snake will also be included as part of this network. I'm sorry that I don't have anything else to share at the moment, but yeah keep watching, I promise things are coming!
-Todd

View attachment 507023
Thanks for the update. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you clarify where this shot is from? Is this a shot of AC, or a real life shot of your vehicle? Nowadays with all the progress being made graphically in AC, I honestly can't tell the difference with all of these photorealistic filters that have come out.

Congratulations for the initiative. Great of you to share your process too - it's very inspiring and instructive. Looking forward to seeing its progress!
I myself would love reproducing some of the roads we have here in Portugal and I'm trying to come up with a process without resorting to photogrammetry. Something with openstreetmap data + free altimetry (such as https://prochitecture.gumroad.com/l/blosm) + parametric road generation from OSM road lines (it's this last part that I'm lacking a satisfactory solution. eventually will try scripting my own).

Hey all! I am on the verge of releasing a version of this. I was trying to release it tonight, but unfortunately ran into a pretty significant file size limitation. I did not know that RaceDepartment has a limit of only 500MB. Unfortunately, this mod is 1.7GB compressed, 3 gigs uncompressed. I was able to squeeze it down to just barely 500MB, but only by reducing the photogrammetry textures from 4K down to 2K and 1K in many cases. This is fine for now, but in doing so I broke a few things and cannot release it in this state. I will try again tomorrow.

A few teaser images in the meantime.
Screenshot_gr4_lancia_stratos_hf_santa_monica_mtns_23-11-121-18-49-27.jpg

Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_santa_monica_mtns_23-11-121-19-59-9.jpg

Screenshot_ruf_yellowbird_santa_monica_mtns_23-11-121-18-30-7.jpg

Screenshot_vmw_mgbgt_santa_monica_mtns_23-11-121-18-52-18.jpg

Screenshot_ks_ford_gt40_santa_monica_mtns_23-11-121-18-45-0.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, it's up! Let me know if you run into any issues getting it up and running. It's the full quality version as originally intended, so I hope the MEGA download works out. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Ok, it's up! Let me know if you run into any issues getting it up and running. It's the full quality version as originally intended, so I hope the MEGA download works out. :roflmao:
The download worked for me and it looks great in VR! I can't wait to continue exploring. Thanks again for this excellent Christmas gift!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%