[WIP MOD] Sunniva (open-wheeler)

I've been working on a new mod for about a month now. This time it's an open-wheeler with a straight 4 engine.

I have made the engine architecture flexible so that a displacement of 1.2-2.0 l is possible. The gearbox is a transverse layout and the drivetrain is designed to cope with just over 450 hp so that I can use it in other applications. The final drive and gears 2-5 is positioned for easier access when changing ratios in the garage. Reverse and 1st will be a fixed ratio.

The engine, transaxle and some of the suspension is final, although I wish to make a new gearbox casing that is more integrated with the suspension.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

For those of you that have rFactor I've added a WIP version here

I'm no setup expert so I appreciate any help I can get! Some notes on the current setup:

The default setup is a little loose, but I added a wide range of adjustment for the suspension so it should be able to incorporate much stiffer set-ups.

The default spring rates gives a natural frequency of 1.3 Hz both front and rear. For this spring rate the damper setting is equal to the damping ratio x10 (so the default setting of 6 is equal to a damping ratio of 0.6).

The springs are softer than the anti-roll bars so the ARB's control the roll stiffness. It might be better to use stiffer springs and softer ARB's to increase the damping ratio in roll-mode. But this will give a harsher ride which I found was not suited for some tracks.

Feedback is highly appreciated! Also if you would like to change any setting outside the current range or in finer detail let me know:good:

For those of you that have rFactor I've added a WIP version here

I'm no setup expert so I appreciate any help I can get! Some notes on the current setup:

The default setup is a little loose, but I added a wide range of adjustment for the suspension so it should be able to incorporate much stiffer set-ups.

The default spring rates gives a natural frequency of 1.3 Hz both front and rear. For this spring rate the damper setting is equal to the damping ratio x10 (so the default setting of 6 is equal to a damping ratio of 0.6).

The springs are softer than the anti-roll bars so the ARB's control the roll stiffness. It might be better to use stiffer springs and softer ARB's to increase the damping ratio in roll-mode. But this will give a harsher ride which I found was not suited for some tracks.

Feedback is highly appreciated! Also if you would like to change any setting outside the current range or in finer detail let me know:good:

I have no idea what you said here, but I'm d/l it now. I'm sure I will be able to drive it off the road as efficiently as I do every other car I drive

I've driven the Sunniva Knut...just. I found it incredibly easy to lose it under acceleration, even in 3rd :( . I also managed to lose it often under breaking. I can vouch for the great job you've done on the damage model !

For me this is a very difficult car to drive, but great work. I find it amazing that you've made this from scratch :cool:

Yeah - these type of things (if they are in any way similar to GPL cars) really require a bit alteration in technique from Touring or GT cars.

Blipping on downshifts will definitely be mandatory if they are like the GPL 65's

First of all ,it is a great piece of work,driven it on Monza , trying to make a setup just to keep it on track after a while had the cornering good but the strange sing is I lost the car on straight driving ??

What I notices is his high ride hight 30cm on the back, don't remember the front but high all so ??

All an all ,a great experience to drive the car, (sound could be better ) but I am shore Knut will make this a success , :f1:

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You are right about it being quite unstable:D I think this will be a first "taste" of the car guys. When I made the tires a chose a certain rubber compound, but when they were done I realized they weren't grippy enough. I've planned to go for a different rubber compound which will tighten things up a little bit and also improve overall grip. I'm not rushing this though so it could take some time for the next update. Also I said in the post above that the default setup is very neutral. A more "normal" setup would have higher spring rate, roll bar and more damping in the front suspension. The diff setting is also quite important.

I totally forgot to tell you guys about the rideheight. I found out a little to late that rFactor uses a different strategy than GTL for setting the car up. The number you see in rFactor is the centre of gravity above ground. So when the default rideheight says 0.326 m the rideheight is 0.326-0.226=0.1m (or 10cm). So just substract 0.226 for now until I find a solution:)

The sound is from the default rFactor Formula car. I have asked some people if they would like to help, but they were all busy. I might give it a shot myself, but I'm not that good in this field.

Thanks again guys, highly appreciated:good:

Even though this is still in the beta stage it already looks really good. The diameter of the tires could be a little smaller to make the whole car look more sleek. The handling is fine, an open wheeler of this kind always feels a little lose and there's TC and Stability Control to help in rFactor if required. It would be great if some basics would be added soon such as car shadows and the AI drivers - that would improve the overall impression a lot. For my personal taste the sound is too tame, a car like this needs to have a loud rumbling engine sound (I added alternative sound files to my installation and it instantly added to the feeling of driving an open wheeler such as this one). I was amazed to see that the DDS files responsible for the body are in a .mas file; I would at least keep the file that defines the body of the car out of the .mas in order to make it easier to add carpaints.
Hope this project is continued!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 277 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing