[WIP MOD] Sunniva (open-wheeler)

I've been working on a new mod for about a month now. This time it's an open-wheeler with a straight 4 engine.

I have made the engine architecture flexible so that a displacement of 1.2-2.0 l is possible. The gearbox is a transverse layout and the drivetrain is designed to cope with just over 450 hp so that I can use it in other applications. The final drive and gears 2-5 is positioned for easier access when changing ratios in the garage. Reverse and 1st will be a fixed ratio.

The engine, transaxle and some of the suspension is final, although I wish to make a new gearbox casing that is more integrated with the suspension.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ah yes.

Good.

I like what you've done there.

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me.

Because I am very clever and that.

(I have absolutely no idea what all your stuff means :D)

Nicely put Mr T, I have some idea as I too love & understand cars, racing and normal. As for designing them, I will leave that upto Knut but I will test them to see if the figures match up and if the car is a good to drive as it is to look at.

As always, keep up the great work your doing Knut and it looks like we will be seeing the awesome creation on track very soon.

lol Stuart:D

Next up I'll make a first attempt to model the front tire. Then I'll fit the GTL parameters to the results.

As a first test I'll use this tire-data on the front and rear. At that point it would be nice to get some feedback. If you guys are interested in doing some testing then let me know. Are you up for some testing Bob?

I'll go to France on sunday and stay there for one week so I'll probably have the first beta ready in two weeks.

It's taking a little longer to complete this car. But I'm having a lot fun doing it so I won't rush it:D

Today I basically found out that my tire model gives the same results as Michelin's own model:parrot: And their model is extremely close to the experimental data. So it seems like the tire model will be quite good:good: Fingers crossed...

Now that I got my new wheel I will start testing and spend some time to learn the tire model in the ISI platform.

Well you have to make "solid" models to do analyses. You can do this in Solidworks, NX etc... but I use Autodesk Inventor. If you're a student you can get it for free, otherwise its somewhere around 5000-15000$.

For Fluid dynamics I use FLUENT which I get free from my university. I heard that the license is about 75000$ but I think the real price is much lower at around 20000$. There is also free software such as openFoam which are really good.

For general deformation analysis I use ANSYS which cost around 15000$.

For the tire modeling I use Abaqus which I also get for free. Otherwise it's about 20000$. Since tire modeling is quite complex I am not aware of any free software that can do this. But LS-Dyna has this capability and is somewhat cheaper.

As you can see these software don't come cheap and I don't think anyone buy these for personal use!

Tyres are the very hard wearing road tyres - the Academy has to be road legal at all times.

In fact, one of the only things that the magnificent Cat mod got wrong was that the shifter light and led gear display is actually not allowed on the Academy class by regulations.

Come on, enough chat with Knut, your keeping him from his work. Now back to it Knut, full consentration & lets get the show on the road or should I say track. Good work man and thanks for all your efforts in bringing these mods to the GTL community.

lol. Today a fever is keeping me indoors so today I got a lot of work done actually. However the tires are quite playful so I end up driving all the time:D

The tires feel a little "loose" compared to the other cars in GTL, but the slip-curves are actually quite similar to real racing tires so I think I'll stick with them.

If I can get myself to do some textures for the interior it will be ready for you soon Bob:good:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 129 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 136 13.9%