[WIP MOD] Sunniva (open-wheeler)

I've been working on a new mod for about a month now. This time it's an open-wheeler with a straight 4 engine.

I have made the engine architecture flexible so that a displacement of 1.2-2.0 l is possible. The gearbox is a transverse layout and the drivetrain is designed to cope with just over 450 hp so that I can use it in other applications. The final drive and gears 2-5 is positioned for easier access when changing ratios in the garage. Reverse and 1st will be a fixed ratio.

The engine, transaxle and some of the suspension is final, although I wish to make a new gearbox casing that is more integrated with the suspension.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks Hans and Tom.

I've finished the brakes now. The wear rate I used is taken from a scientific paper and I have chosen to keep the disc temps somewhat low (~275 deg C) to increase the disc life. I chose the Tarox Corsa brake pads for good brake feel and good performance in the relevant temperature range. Finally all the GTL brake parameters are based on calculations and experimental data.

I also made a steering rack and radiator. The radiator model is simplified but has the same mass as a C&R radiator that is suitable for this car.

There is also a Varley Red Top 15 dry cell battery in place.

The car weighs in at 397 kg at this point and the center of gravity has moved 90 mm forwards, resulting in 42.3 % front weight distribution.

Next up is a the dash, steering wheel, gear shifter and finally i will replace the mock-up spaceframe with a final version. Not much left now:D

I've made a GTL version as well (only physics, no model). I tried it with the 2l engine and the suapension and mass of the CAD model. This thing is seriously quick! You really have to watch the throttle, even in third gear. I think I'll go for the 1.5l for the first release:D

Thanks guys!

Made some GTL models tonight, mostly to test and see how it looks. Some of the models (uprights, calipers, suspension, wheels) are final, but the textures are very much WIP:D However the rear wheels will be a little bigger, but same design. Something happened to the suspension on one side but I think I know the reason.

I must inform you guys that I am colorblind (mostly red-green-brown). So if you see some weird colors in this thread, please tell me!!!

Made a new dash, cockpit and body this morning. The modeling is pretty much finished now, but I need to make some better textures. As you can see from the picture of the cockpit the suspension doesn't match and isn't moving. But I don't feel its that important now. In fact it is pretty hard to finish this car because it's so much fun to drive now:D

Haven't posted in over a week but thats because I've been running simulations. The aerodynamic model is almost complete now. I've simulated 15 scenarios (pitch/rideheight-sensitivity, sideways/reverse/vertical motion). Only 4 simulations left now:
-two more yaw angles
-2 cases of slipstreaming

When the aero is done there is only one thing left - tires. I will try to model the tire with the Finite Element method, taking into account all the different plies, bands, rubber compounds etc. With this method scientists have obtained good correlation with experimental data (only 5 % deviation). Hopefully I will get good results and we are all done and ready for some betatesting:D

Here's an example from the CFD simulations where the yaw angle is at an extreme 30 degrees:

Lol Carlos. I just have a passion for cars - both driving and engineering.

Would be great if it could capture the GPL action. At the moment the car feels very close to the iRacing Skip Barber, but that might change when the new tires are on the car.

I've been looking for 65' laptimes lately and i stumbled across some weight figures. My car weights 451 kg which compares very well with the lighter cars of 65':
Honda RA 272 - 497 kg
Lotus 33 - 451 kg
Brabham BT17 - 460 kg
As for lap times the car does 1:25 around Kyalami, but that is with some temporary tires with a little too much grip. Jim Clark set a 1:27.2 in 1965 and I think the final car will be closer to that time.

Aero is finished now as well. Hopefully I will start working on the tires later next week.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 227 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 153 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 218 14.2%