[WIP MOD] Sunniva (open-wheeler)

I've been working on a new mod for about a month now. This time it's an open-wheeler with a straight 4 engine.

I have made the engine architecture flexible so that a displacement of 1.2-2.0 l is possible. The gearbox is a transverse layout and the drivetrain is designed to cope with just over 450 hp so that I can use it in other applications. The final drive and gears 2-5 is positioned for easier access when changing ratios in the garage. Reverse and 1st will be a fixed ratio.

The engine, transaxle and some of the suspension is final, although I wish to make a new gearbox casing that is more integrated with the suspension.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Small update. Installed the complete engine into the assembly and made some brake clutch components. In the picture below the "ball" attached to the planes marks the center of gravity. The mass, inertia and center of gravity is calculated from the geometry and density of 765 parts.

The current design indicate a front weight distribution of about 38 % which will probably increase towards 40 % when the car gets more complete.

As I posted elsewhere...

Top notch stuff mate :good:

Make it a 1.5 litre with about 200 - 230 bhp, and you're looking at something along the lines of F1 '65 specs :good:

eg
carset65.jpg

Thanks guys. But these models are mostly used for simulations to achieve enough strength everywhere. It also allows me to determine the mass and inertia with a relative error of just ~0.001 %.

But sadly you wont see this detail in-game. It would require too many polygons. But I'll try to make a decent-looking model and try my best to make the suspension-movement look realistic.

Another thing I will implement in-game is rising-rate suspension. Of all the mods I've tried I've yet to see see this feature. Looking forward to see how it improves the ride.

EDIT. Thanks Stuart. I've modelled a 1.6l engine with a gas-dynamics code and I think its rated at ~218 hp. I intend to make more engines as well. If anyone want different engine characteristics I can also make custom exhaust/intake/cams to shape the torque curve to your needs.

Which mod is that Stuart? I'd like to hear that 1.5L v12 Honda!!!

That is the GPL65 mod for, perhaps unsurprisingly, GPL. :D I preferred it to the standard 67 cars, to be honest.

They all sound superb - I think you can download the mod even if you don't have GPL, as the sound files are unpacked wavs.

The Ferrari is a V12 as well as the Honda, I liked the Lotus 33 myself, but I the BRM P261 was fantastic as well

Haven't done any modeling today but did some simulations overnight. In this simulation I looked at the brake cooling. It was important to consider the rotation of the disc and wheel and that complicated the simulation. The total cpu-time was about 80 hours. Thank god for quad-core processors:D

Here you can see the pathlines of the air flowing around the car at 50 m/s:

Heatflux from the brake disc:

I ran 6 simulations and performed a best-fit calculation to suit the GTL parameters. As you can see the GTL method is adequate for representing this brake system:

I know you you can display wheels in cockpit view by editing the .hdc file but I will have a look at the plr file as well. Thanks for the tip:good:

If what you heard is true, maybe this feature is not working i GTL. There is always rFactor if it doesn't work in GTL:)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%