Tracks (WIP) Midfield Raceway (feedback welcome)

Ok, let's stick to grass then... Even though "realism" is a broad term here, Mid-Field being a fictional track anyway :D

Yes please, I would really appreciate it! It was really going on my nerves haha :roflmao: I would rather spend my time on modelling the track.

There you go. Added a new fast_lane.ai, ideal_line.ai, new side boundaries, DRS zones for Formula cars and ai_hints to make the AI faster in T1. I've done a bit of testing with GT3 and F1 cars, and it is very competitive for what I've tested

Awesome, mate! Thank you so much :D

I also uploaded it to my Mega Cloud as 0.3.1 with an updated changelog :)

And now I will test it in VR :D

Last edited:
How can I make textures less repetitive?
1609547009863.png

Can I add a noise map or anything?

How can I make textures less repetitive?
View attachment 432253

Can I add a noise map or anything?
i don't think the tutorial above is helpful for ksEditor
the game engine displays the map in 1x1 ratio always (and it's affected only by how the mapping is done on your mesh)

there is a solution with a new shader, maybe with shader patch, to "randomize" the tiles, but i've never used it, so not sure where it's hidden !

Alternatively, using the default solutions; you may use a multimap shader, using RGB mask to use and mix different diffuse together
I can't find a tutorial for ground, but it works the same as how lilski explained his road technique : https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...n-track-making-plus-tips.122794/#post-2256511

If you are using CSP add these lines to you config file. Obviously only use whatever your grass, sand, road materials are. It basically does what the blender guru video shows above.

If not using CSP then you need to use a mask to try and randomize the 3 different detail textures.

[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = GRASSInside, GRASSOutside, GRASSTALL, GRASSTALLOUT, LAND1, SANDTRAP, ROAD, DRKROAD, LTROAD, OUTERLAND
PROP_...= ksAlphaRef, -193

Last edited:
Maybe this can help :thumbsup:
I watched that exact video a few days ago and tried it. It was super cool in Blender, but wasn't applied later in the Editor of course, as Ben said :(

there is a solution with a new shader, maybe with shader patch, to "randomize" the tiles, but i've never used it, so not sure where it's hidden !

Alternatively, using the default solutions; you may use a multimap shader, using RGB mask to use and mix different diffuse together
I can't find a tutorial for ground, but it works the same as how lilski explained his road technique : https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...n-track-making-plus-tips.122794/#post-2256511

I will try these, thank you! :thumbsup:

If you are using CSP add these lines to you config file. Obviously only use whatever your grass, sand, road materials are. It basically does what the blender guru video shows above.

If not using CSP then you need to use a mask to try and randomize the 3 different detail textures.

[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MATERIALS = GRASSInside, GRASSOutside, GRASSTALL, GRASSTALLOUT, LAND1, SANDTRAP, ROAD, DRKROAD, LTROAD, OUTERLAND
PROP_...= ksAlphaRef, -193

The master himself :) I'm currently watching your tutorial series (one episode a day) and I'm so thankful for it! You explain it really well and I'm learning so much! But I'm not that far into your tutorials yet, so I haven't seen anything about materials.

Regarding your post: CSP is CustomShadersPatch right? I'm using it, but what about people who play my track and don't use CSP? They still see the repetitive texture then?

But for now I'm placing trees... I will come back to this later, after learning some more techniques about it :)

I watched that exact video a few days ago and tried it. It was super cool in Blender, but wasn't applied later in the Editor of course, as Ben said :(

I will try these, thank you! :thumbsup:

The master himself :) I'm currently watching your tutorial series (one episode a day) and I'm so thankful for it! You explain it really well and I'm learning so much! But I'm not that far into your tutorials yet, so I haven't seen anything about materials.

Regarding your post: CSP is CustomShadersPatch right? I'm using it, but what about people who play my track and don't use CSP? They still see the repetitive texture then?

But for now I'm placing trees... I will come back to this later, after learning some more techniques about it :)
Video series stopped before I got much into materials. I still plan to continue but just have been busy.

As for the CSP/non CSP users yes the non CSP users would see the repeat. If you use a good diffuse and some mask work it can be minimized. In the end the way I see it is I use CSP and I build the tracks for myself and I don't pay much attention to non CSP users. As long as it works for vanilla AC that's fine. I'm not super concerned about looks outside of using CSP. Especially when it comes to say 3D grass. I don't make "traditional" grass anymore.

Release 0.4 beta:

So many trees...

Hint: From now on I will optimize the track for usage with CSP (custom shaders patch). If it doesn't look like this, you probably don't use CSP, especially regarding the 3D grass.

Changelog:
- cleaned up and optimized many meshes
- added more terrain
- added background hills
- added trees
- flattened and widened two curbs
- optimized shaders and materials for Custom Shaders Patch
- added 3D grass for Custom Shaders Patch
- Added a new fast_lane.ai, ideal_line.ai, new side boundaries, DRS zones for Formula cars and ai_hints to make the AI faster in T1 - by Ofitus21 (thanks!)

To-Do:
- better tree shadows
- fences
- more diverse textures for grass, rocks, etc.
- make textures look less repetitive
- add bumps to the tracks (it's too smooth)
- tunnel reverb sound FX
- details, details, details

I would be very happy if you gave it a test drive and give me any feedback in the comments Of course it's in a really early stage and a ton of work, so please don't expect a polished track...

Check my channel soon for newer versions of this track.

Download track:
https://mega.nz/folder/uqhCybIY#s61RliHXbk3bBstAFslr3A

Car - DTM 2018 Audi by URD (paid):

Last edited:
Beautiful. Midfield is truly starting to take shape, and it's wonderful.
Out of curiosity. What AI strength are you using?

Thank you :)

The Strength was around 90-100%. The strongest AI started in front, with some randomization. My personal best was +0.1s from the total best lap time IIRC. Keep in mind I've driven these cars for the second time in my life and didn't have much practice prior to the race :D

1610193500201.png

I will have a look into the AI I guess... they brake pretty early in T1 and don't use my newly widened curb after T2 and T10 yet. Also they seem to have twice the grip as I do in T7 for some reason lol :D I noticed that with other cars as well...

1610193450141.png

Last edited:
Thank you :)

The Strength was around 90-100%. The strongest AI started in front, with some randomization. My personal best was +0.1s from the total best lap time IIRC. Keep in mind I've driven these cars for the second time in my life and didn't have much practice prior to the race :D

View attachment 434632

I will have a look into the AI I guess... they brake pretty early in T1 and don't use my newly widened curb after T2 and T10 yet. Also they seem to have twice the grip as I do in T7 for some reason lol :D I noticed that with other cars as well...

View attachment 434631
Will have a look at it and hopefully I can make it faster

Hey guys, I need some help, as I can't find anything about this issue on Google...

There is light shining through the ceiling edges of my tunnels. You can see it for example in my last video at 2:14:

So I thought my mesh had a weird structure and I made a really simple tunnel in Blender for testing purposes. I created a cube, stretched in on the Y axis, inset the two remaining square faces and bridged them. There I got the same effect. So next I tried bevelling the ceiling edge and bevelling it a bit more. Also I tried adding another cuboid to the edge in two different sizes. It's all the same basically.

Here are some screenshots of this process
(don't mind the missing face, I accidentally deleted it but it doesn't matter)

It also seems to have something to do with shadow LODs, because it gets even worse 20 or 30 meters ahead of my car. So I thought maybe it just looks this crappy on my side because of some misconfiguration of AC or CSP? But I haven't found anything I could change, either. Also I tried @LilSki 's Watkins Glen yesterday just for fun, where I also noticed the same shadow LOD effect on fence shadows (the shadow resolution get's really bad 20-30 meters ahead). Have I just never noticed this before in AC?

Edit:
it seems like adding a plane clipping through the tunnel partly resolves the problem, except for the edges:
1610886569706.png

I'm still not super happy with this solution though :D

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need some help, as I can't find anything about this issue on Google...

There is light shining through the ceiling edges of my tunnels. You can see it for example in my last video at 2:14:

So I thought my mesh had a weird structure and I made a really simple tunnel in Blender for testing purposes. I created a cube, stretched in on the Y axis, inset the two remaining square faces and bridged them. There I got the same effect. So next I tried bevelling the ceiling edge and bevelling it a bit more. Also I tried adding another cuboid to the edge in two different sizes. It's all the same basically.

It also seems to have something to do with shadow LODs, because it gets even worse 20 or 30 meters ahead of my car. So I thought maybe it just looks this crappy on my side because of some misconfiguration of AC or CSP? But I haven't found anything I could change, either. Also I tried @LilSki 's Watkins Glen yesterday just for fun, where I also noticed the same shadow LOD effect on fence shadows (the shadow resolution get's really bad 20-30 meters ahead). Have I just never noticed this before in AC?

Could be a glitch from the latest CSP build, try installing the latest recommended build and see if the issue persists

Edit:
it seems like adding a plane clipping through the tunnel partly resolves the problem, except for the edges:
View attachment 437070

I'm still not super happy with this solution though :D
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
MESHES =
DOUBLE_FACE_SHADOW_BIASED = 1

This should help I think.

This is modern nostalgia to an old race track!! I was along for the ride on Gran Turismo 2 when this circuit debuted, saw the upgraded physics and look on GT3, and the changes to 'realism' on GT4 and beyond. Your reincarnation of this lovely piece of tarmac is a tribute to the fullest of one of the loveliest raceways in the Gran Turismo franchise!! Great job!

This is modern nostalgia to an old race track!! I was along for the ride on Gran Turismo 2 when this circuit debuted, saw the upgraded physics and look on GT3, and the changes to 'realism' on GT4 and beyond. Your reincarnation of this lovely piece of tarmac is a tribute to the fullest of one of the loveliest raceways in the Gran Turismo franchise!! Great job!

Thank you very much, Jeffrey!

To be honest, I only really played GT1, GT2 and GTSport, so I still remember it as in GT2 and thus barely even recognise the layout of my own track. But I thought it's better if it's based of the most current version of the track (so GT6) and after all, it's my own version of it and not an exact copy. It's really fun to drive... but sometimes when I test it, I regret not really recognising it a bit :D So maybe I will do a GT2 version of it one day haha :D

BTW, current status:
I made some billboards based on GT6 and tried giving the existing surface (road, pit, grass, curbs) a little noise as described in LilSki's tutorials. But my meshes were really crappy, so I remade the whole surface and new curbs and it's a lot more work than I anticipated, but I think v0.5 will be ready within the next few days.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back