WIP/Idea Virtual Mirror Overlay

My current car for this season with the NAGP is a Lambo, which does not have a rear view mirror I can see with my current FoV. I don't normally like running the virtual mirror because it "breaks the immersion", so then I got the idea to overlay it with an image to try and make it blend in more. The video below show my modded speedometer with a background that looks more like a standard mirror while also dimming the virtual mirror so it's not so bright (which I find annoying). I also turn off all the g-force effects that tend to shake the car around on screen, as I tend to "remake the cockpit" by placing apps in strategic locations.

Updated Demo Video:

Esotic Speedometer App:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/esotic-speedometer.132018/#post-2458158

If you want to try the "Virtual Mirror Overlay" open up the .PY file and look for this line:

if False: #Change False to True to use the "Virtual Mirror Overlay"

and change it to

if True: #Change False to True to use the "Virtual Mirror Overlay"

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Esotic

Last edited:
nice ... is this implemented in some other sim? seems strange that nobody got this pretty simple idea before :)

btw for guy whose immersion is broken by virtual mirror your HUD is pretty clustered with immersion braking apps ;)

I really like that virtual mirror! The default V-mirror is reeeeeally unrealistic + I see the cockpit mirror next to it (I need some tuning I think...).
I am a person who looks into the mirrors very often so a "real" virtual mirror that is completely in my FOV would be nice!

Does it go away when the mirror is turned off? I use a button on the wheel usually and turn the mirror on and off.
I don't think the API communicates when the virtual mirror is on or off, so the only option would be to detect the F11 keypress and attempt to toggle in unison. I can only assume there would be times where the app would get "out of phase" (on/off at the wrong time), so allowing for the user to fix that condition would need to be considered.

nice ... is this implemented in some other sim? seems strange that nobody got this pretty simple idea before :)

btw for guy whose immersion is broken by virtual mirror your HUD is pretty clustered with immersion braking apps ;)
That irony is not lost on me! I tend to run a lot of apps when I'm testing new ideas that I do not run when it comes time to race. The thing running down the left side is tracking my frame times. My IRL wheel covers up most of the Lambo dash, so I try to put relevant dash info somewhere I can see it, but I still try to "reinvent the dash" in a way that feels natural while I'm mostly staring at the next apex.

I think it's a nifty idea. IIRC the VMirror in rF was made to look like an OEM part.

My main takeaway from the video, though, is that I really long for a good, accurate, high quality rendition of Mosport for AC. Such a wonderful circuit.

Mosport has become one of my favorite tracks. I also enjoy St. Jovite/Mont-Tremblant in GTR2. :)

I can usually overlook "rendition quality" if the fun factor is high enough.

Mont Tremblant is another fantastic circuit. Beautiful area, too. Was out there in 2005 for the legends weekend. :)

Mosport is on my list. Who knows when though. The one shown here was modified by me with a groove, shader fixes, and a proper road mesh.

:confused:

Sometimes I'm surprised more folks don't make editorial replies to typographical/grammatical errors in forum and blog posts. :)

The initial idea was to try and make a "smart mirror" overlay for the virtual mirror, so I could have relevant data up there. Kinda like a "race essentials" or a "sidekick" that blends into the mirror. My coding time is limited, though, so I tend to make simple apps I can move around and arrange together based on the vehicles interior. Mostly I'm wondering what data I'd even want up there.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Esotic

What I would like would be the time to the opponent in Front of me and behind me so you know with one sight when you have to pay attention and if you are getting closer.
But I really like your "turn speed indicator" that you implemented!

What I would like would be the time to the opponent in Front of me and behind me so you know with one sight when you have to pay attention and if you are getting closer.
But I really like your "turn speed indicator" that you implemented!

Do you only want to see times to drivers on the same lap as you? Just wondering how that works when there is lap traffic.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back