420r race car (old R300 renamed, 175bhp and 515kg ...) coming soon :)
and it's coming FAST
420race_180218_08sw.jpg

(please note transparency in windshield)
(and beware of the mirror, yes it's late)

420race_180218_05.jpg

420race_180218_06.jpg

420race_180218_07.jpg

420race_180218_11.jpg

420race_180218_04.jpg

420race_180218_02.jpg

see these nice chocks ? They changed them, it's the wrong model now XD
420race_180218_03.jpg

A full weekend 3DS, back to work tomorrow for yet more 3DSMAX

woooooooooooohooooooooooo :sleep:

Last edited:
Oh wow, I have that Pro-Comp Pro dash already made for Dashpanel (Android dashboard app). Finally a car that uses it! Looking forward to the release.

Last edited:
Congratulations for these wonderful cars. Driving with them is very big fun.

I notice one thing: racing with them drops the framerate a few fps (quick compared to Gt3s and TT Cup at Brands Hatch and Silverstone 66). Is this because the Caterhams are without a roof and AC has to render more world details? This is no critic, only a question

Congratulations for these wonderful cars. Driving with them is very big fun.

I notice one thing: racing with them drops the framerate a few fps (quick compared to Gt3s and TT Cup at Brands Hatch and Silverstone 66). Is this because the Caterhams are without a roof and AC has to render more world details? This is no critic, only a question
yes, usually it's that

We are waiting for some data right now so I'm doing more generic things.

Ben received updated dampers for the 1700 but someone has to persuade him to test them out ;)
It should be more "track like" with less weight transfer to rear so it's "easier" to drive, rear has a little less grip and more weight is kept forward in dynamic situations. If someone has more feedback in detail on specific conditions let me know, the tyres shouldn't be an issue but people keep calling too much rear grip as tyres. Try to be detailed as often this can be tracked down to a specific damper value or values, unfortunately there aren't many drivers able to "feel" and recognize what change they specifically need or what is causing a behavior they experience.

FIA HALOL first time I see it, what a nonsense, they may as well make F1 a closed car not an open one. F1 died to me long ago.

As far as FPS issues go I haven't noticed anything yet myself but if it's dependent on view then it has to do with the model and view available from the model since Cats have no roof in case AC does have proper 3D rendering that removes polygons that aren't visible when using a roofed car. Not that there are many polygons in the sky anyway the roof probably has more.

If it's a general FPS issue, please illustrate so we can replicate. Either the model has more polygons than your tested car or some part of physics is "too detailed" and AC eats more CPU as a result though personally from my experience a computer doesn't care if it has to go over a list of 10 or 100 or 1000 values the speed is the same, a difference would be seen if it was 10^6+ values and such. The RPM is done by 250 steps and when I tested it I had no issues compared to say 1000 or 500 steps. It's 31 values with a 250 step, not even the slowest computer should have a problem going over it fast. There is no other long list as far as I remember. The Aero is "complex" compared to some stock content cars so that may be a factor but still each list is around 10 values instead of 1 and the same calculations should be done no matter how many values in the LUT are predefined. But if you find some physics related FPS issue let me know I will look into it.

As far as the visible fan goes, if it's visible and cannot rotate in game (which might be excessive to have or AC to support), it should be blurred, that way it will look correctly when driving and watching video but a little inaccurate on screenshots is all. I think textures can be replaced anyway so those seeking 8k brutal perfect screenshots might just replace the texture with non blurred for their screenshots.

Done a quick test with other openwheelers.

Resolution 5760 x 1080. Grid with 19 opponents, starting position 12 at Brands Hatch
FPS at start position, before green light
Cat 43 fps
RSS2 52 fps
RSS4 61 fps
KTM X-Bow 71 fps
VRC MP4-22 (with 4k livery) 54 fps
KS F2004 71 fps
KS SF70 64 fps

but as said, no problem. After a few curves there are 60 fps

Resolution 5760 x 1080. Grid with 19 opponents, starting position 12 at Brands Hatch
Cat 43 fps
RSS2 52 fps
RSS4 61 fps
KTM X-Bow 71 fps
KS F2004 71 fps
KS SF70 64 fps

hey well, i guess that's from textures, because i'm way below poly count
probably using too many DXT1 instead of uncompressed 8.8.8, or i don't know
would be interesting to do that test with the 165 academy and 1700 see if i messed up something on all of them or just one :D
Wait to see the textures of the 420... :whistling:

Using DXT1 instead of uncompressed shouldn't be a problem, as it even helps with or avoiding vram swaps when closer LODs come into view (in case they happen due to low vram).
Could you please temporarily leave only a small number of skins (moving the others out), like 5 on the Cat's folder just to check if it has to do with having a lot of them on vram (as it can load one per car instead of instancing them when repeated)? Best performing cars like the kunos F1's listed only have a bunch of them.
Most included are quite small, but it's something that could be checked.

Thanks for testing. Converting those DXT1 to DXT5 will only increase the space they take on the vram, no performance should be gained. But if with only one skin there's no difference, I seriously doubt it has anything to with the car's texture format, even the ones inside the kn5. OTH, could have to do with the sheer number of maps inside of it, shader complexity etc, maybe ask some of the more experienced modelers if there's anything that requires optimization by reducing draw calls etc.

Cant wait for more powerful versions!Keep up great work!
Current version is nice fun with green grip on smaller tracks (had a blast on Hope hystoric other day!Epic combo) but we need more power LOL

Not to sound ungrateful, just curious: Are you planning on doing a 620r sometime in the future as well?
Yes, I have at least the engine data and basic data. Engine supercharger is also sorted out in AC in such a way that you will see the supercharger pressure and it will behave like a supercharger with a precise pressure/rpm curve. I am not aware of any car in AC doing a supercharger this way yet but it works fine, there is no need to bake superchargers into the power.lut.

And then, when you do every version ever, someone will pop up and ask if you can bring them to rF2. :D
Unlikely from me any time soon I don't have rF2 and as far as I'm aware rF2 is all about WEC. No idea what rF2 supports modding wise. Making the conversion physics wise is a matter of understanding the rF2 physics and it's drawbacks.

Cat 43 fps
RSS2 52 fps
RSS4 61 fps
KTM X-Bow 71 fps
KS F2004 71 fps
KS SF70 64 fps

I will try checking it later, the polycount Ben uses didn't seem brutal to me plus there are LODs. It could be some object count but then why would the graphics engine draw a car per piece instead of submitting the whole model at once (minus moving parts).
Paint maybe?
Physics are easy to swap and check and there isn't really anything I'm aware that can be messed up in such a way that it would eat graphics or CPU performance.

That brings me to, are you limited by GPU or CPU performance? CPU AC is still quite heavily single threaded.

For me I run everything at 100fps and minimum around 80fps using a GTX 1060 and 4690K, nothing crazy. The biggest issue with AC lately is CPU. Race start grids with any car while starting at back of a 20 car pack will tank the fps. Some tracks are sensitive to shadow settings, etc.

Can't wait, hope it doesn't understeer badly
That depends on version, the more powerfull versions have LSD and rear ARB so they slip more and turn better but still the semislicks are going to take some of that away.
Cats have plenty rubber for their weight.

1700 has open rear diff and no ARB, I can slide it and don't need a handbrake unlike with Lotus Elise for U turns. As far as 120km/h+ goes it will always understeer due to aero, I'm tweaking the aero lift vs angle but don't expect miracles, it's just how all stock Caterhams are, the front wants to take off the ground.

Neither is rear axle supposed to be stiff as a brick so that it's easier to snap it and slide it due to lower rear grip.

Drifting... there is a Caterham drifting instructional video on YouTube that explains for new drivers the lower front grip and how to get it around. You have to lift off to transfer weight. Of course with soft dampers and the stock springs 1700 is fairly soft so all this weight transfer work is up to the driver where as when stiffer there is less weight transfer and driver can only make smaller weight shifts. For inexperienced drivers a soft suspension on any car in AC is often a madness to watch them drive it.

If you can handle a soft RUF CTR, 330 P4 and other soft cars with low front grip or even front lift aero then you should be fine with the Cats.

Plus 1700 has low power to be able to power drift much same as all other 4kg/hp+ cars. You can slide it but the engine doesn't have enough power to tear the tyres off.

Ben as well likes a rear ARB, who doesn't really, I'm waiting for his alterations so I can see what kind of behavior he finds better. Since 1700 has no rear ARB I have to use other means to get similar behavior. The 1700 dampers are soft civil like, I've swapped the "balance" front/rear on them and that helps a bit but gets more snappy on rough roads. There are many damper parameters to play with and 1700 is not intended to be a race car because it is not so the dampers are what they are without excessive track tuning.

No idea if we will get any damper data, for race and track oriented versions the dampers will most likely be open to adjustments. And even the civil 1700 has setup adjustments that make it much more usable for track use, I've posted them before what I use for track on it usually and it follows what real Cats use for track use. Of course by default it's set for normal civil road driving, not track use, not drifting, etc.
Wrong car for drifting really.

Aero on quite a few stock content cars doesn't have angle changes for lift, probably also for drag, people are not used to aero varying when car jumps, dives, etc. 1700 has this defined. You have to wary of the aero with Cats, it's just the way they are.

Cats drive best in 1-3 gear, beyond that the aero start to kill front grip and understeer from aero ensues. With high power variants you can rip the tyres off but that doesn't reduce the aero lift you just get more rear slip to steer, it's also tricky to get the slip right when driving and set it up right. To a point where if you get it right you can slide the rear a bit and steer through the corner but if you go too fast and lift off you will understeer even more unlike the 1700, meaning you either get it right or you eat a wall/ditch/sand/grass. Not exactly driver friendly if you don't have the precision and overshoot corners like most rookies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%