Tracks [WIP] Autobahn

Hmm where I come from its not the authors job to check the web daily if someone reuploads the mod without permission. The reasons why such sites exist is to make money off of the traffic generated by free work done by modders.

Assetto club indeed has an mail adress there and I asked them now to remove my mod. The acmods site (which is the top result on google btw :devilish:) has no working mail adress so I used the "upload mod" form to get in contact. But given that he deleted every comment of mine on my own mod I am not positive that guy, Scott, will even bother to reply. Hes busy counting the money those dumb modders earn for him.

This mod is a private hobby anyways and it looks like it will stay that way, unless Scott from acmods.net changes his dick attitude.

I am done whining like a little girl now. This pisses me off tho.

Hmm where I come from its not the authors job to check the web daily if someone reuploads the mod without permission. The reasons why such sites exist is to make money off of the traffic generated by free work done by modders.

Assetto club indeed has an mail adress there and I asked them now to remove my mod. The acmods site (which is the top result on google btw :devilish:) has no working mail adress so I used the "upload mod" form to get in contact. But given that he deleted every comment of mine on my own mod I am not positive that guy, Scott, will even bother to reply. Hes busy counting the money those dumb modders earn for him.

This mod is a private hobby anyways and it looks like it will stay that way, unless Scott from acmods.net changes his dick attitude.

I am done whining like a little girl now. This pisses me off tho.

I know bro, no one has the job to check if someone is uploading his road track, or music track, or poem to any website without the permission of the author.
I am a completely noob in terms of legality, I don't know if you can put some clauses or something like a licence in a notepad.

Don't become mad, the top result on google is your post, RaceDepartment (searching for autobahn assetto corsa), and now I visited the acmod webpage and there is your upload link from racedepartment there, otherwise I would have commented or sended anything to the webmaster because I hate that too when people does that to those who work hard as modders.

EDIT: they have a Privacy page where I found his contact email:
"If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at submit@simracingvideos.com."
So I hope he reads you and do something.

Last edited:
Oh indeed the download now links to RD, thats new.
For me Acmods link is the first google search result tho, above RD.
Well I will have a beer after work and think about it.
I usually never do mistakes, but maybe I overreacted slightly ;)
Thanks for the reply!

edit: yeah that mail adress isnt working :p

I hate when modders stop their work by fault of other people, it happened something similar with the targa florio track and I hope it don't with the islands track.

Keep your good work bro. I wish I could mod something there but I am a noob and the day I posted my problem in the AC forum twice in separated posts no one wanted to help me :(
:thumbsup:

I hate when modders stop their work by fault of other people, it happened something similar with the targa florio track and I hope it don't with the islands track.

Keep your good work bro. I wish I could mod something there but I am a noob and the day I posted my problem in the AC forum twice in separated posts no one wanted to help me :(
:thumbsup:
You already helped by calming me down. Thanks for that :thumbsup:
The beer after work will hopefully fix the remaining agressions within me lol.

I fought this battle when I made planes for MS flightsim. Unfortunately there is very little that can be done about it. Please don't give up because of it.
I will definitely keep working on it I just might think more about what I release. Maybe I should put a huge sign at the starting line with the red text I posted earlier :D
If those two sites dont react to my requests I will put something on the track to remind them of my disapproval.

But first things first. Where is my beer.

Just for you............... :thumbsup::D:D:thumbsup:
beer-funny-20.jpg
:cool::cool:

I will definitely keep working on it I just might think more about what I release. Maybe I should put a huge sign at the starting line with the red text I posted earlier :D
If those two sites dont react to my requests I will put something on the track to remind them of my disapproval.

But first things first. Where is my beer.
well, we've all been through this. At least you first released your's here on RD, which will send out alerts when you make updates. My first release was just through mediafire, and I know that some of those dreaded sites still carry that early version, and people that got it there never found out that it was the early beta.

But putting a small copyright/mod creator notice in the track is a good idea. I have my credentials as name of a useless empty in my models :D

Hi everyone and Peter, I run the acmods website and was not trying to upset anyone, I have just been trying to share mods with everyone in my facebook community. Yes my website has ads on it but in no way am making any substantial amount of money. 95% of the time I am still out of pocket each month to cover the costs of hosting / the ac race server and giveaways.

I have taken the mod down as per peters request and responded to his email aswell.

Thanks

Alright thanks again for clearification, Scott.

Just everyone please get in touch with the authors first before hosting mods at different places, this will help avoid angry modders going mad :p

I added a little text about not hosting this mod anywhere else until its finished, to be a bit clearer myself.

Peace!

Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-5-36.jpg

Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-4-50.jpg Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-4-14.jpg Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-3-18.jpg Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-2-20.jpg Screenshot_ks_porsche_991_carrera_s_Autobahn_3-12-116-0-1-53.jpg

You are looking at 11.000 trees with 170 tris each, so about 1.870.000 tris in total ... went from 170 fps to 70 fps lol.

Next time I will render a plane version of this tree and and see how the fps situation looks with LODs. Different trees will follow.

I think I will try to make the plane trees always face the camera if possible, hope they are not bad on performance.

Btw I have troubles getting the shading of the trees look good, this is the intended look (without white alpha edges):
Fichte.jpg

Last edited:
When you make a tree like this you need to still use the KSTREE_GROUP_x_xxx scheme. This will set the normals properly. In my opinion you are wasting an extreme amount of polys on this. Take a look at similar type trees at VIR. They are simple Y trees and still look better than these.

Screenshot_ks_ferrari_488_gt3_vir_2-12-116-22-36-24.jpg

Thanks for the help again @LilSki
So I grouped a bunch of those trees together and named it "KSTREE_GROUP_A1", the result isnt pretty:
Unbenannt.PNG

Looks like all shading has gone everything looks completely flat now. My previous settings did have some nice self shadowing at some angles, while at other angles it also looked flat and ugly ... this is annoying.

My intention was to have some dynamic self shadowing but it wont work properly, not even close to how it looks in max.
While those photo trees in your screenshot look better, I am always feeling they look like just like a wall with a photo on it. The baked shadows are static which is a big downside, also it just doesnt look plastic/3-dimensional which imho is apparent in motion, propably very much so in VR. While my trees are ugly, they give a good 3d feeling in motion.

My current Tree is ugly as can be for sure but I rushed it for testing, I will try some different approaches too. The thing is making plane trees just isnt any fun to me and nothing I could add to my portfolio since its just a photograph from the interwebs. I am mostly a modeller for creatures, characters and such things. Like this guy:
44314-0-1463995903.jpg

So I will try one different approach and see how it will work out with different LODs performance wise. Just imagine having woods like these:
Forza-Horizon-3-4.jpg

With LODs this should be possible shouldnt it? Or are there some limitations there?

Thanks for the help again @LilSki
So I grouped a bunch of those trees together and named it "KSTREE_GROUP_A1", the result isnt pretty:
View attachment 162427
Looks like all shading has gone everything looks completely flat now. My previous settings did have some nice self shadowing at some angles, while at other angles it also looked flat and ugly ... this is annoying.

My intention was to have some dynamic self shadowing but it wont work properly, not even close to how it looks in max.
While those photo trees in your screenshot look better, I am always feeling they look like just like a wall with a photo on it. The baked shadows are static which is a big downside, also it just doesnt look plastic/3-dimensional which imho is apparent in motion, propably very much so in VR. While my trees are ugly, they give a good 3d feeling in motion.

My current Tree is ugly as can be for sure but I rushed it for testing, I will try some different approaches too. The thing is making plane trees just isnt any fun to me and nothing I could add to my portfolio since its just a photograph from the interwebs. I am mostly a modeller for creatures, characters and such things. Like this guy:
View attachment 162428

So I will try one different approach and see how it will work out with different LODs performance wise. Just imagine having woods like these:
Forza-Horizon-3-4.jpg

With LODs this should be possible shouldnt it? Or are there some limitations there?

You don't group them in the modeling program. As long as each tree is using that naming scheme they will get joined during the import process. For example if you have 100 individual trees named KSTREE_GROUP_A_01xx they will all be joined into block transform A in the editor.

As for it looking like FH3 good luck with that. There is likely more visual technology in use for FH3 than AC ever thought about having. The AC engine is simply not designed for that kind of visuals.

Also LODing stuff is not free. It takes up memory and also uses processing power to load and unload objects. In my opinion the track should have all details and be able to run fairly well without any LODs. You won't gain 20-30 FPS with LODs. It is usually only worth 5-10 FPS.

Obviously you can do whatever you want but you have to understand the engine you are building for and it is simply not designed for that. If you are dead set on 3D then have the first two rows 3D and the rest be Y trees.

Also LODing stuff is not free. It takes up memory and also uses processing power to load and unload objects. In my opinion the track should have all details and be able to run fairly well without any LODs. You won't gain 20-30 FPS with LODs. It is usually only worth 5-10 FPS.
Ah ok this I was afraid that LODs wouldnt give a big FPS boost, thanks for sharing your experience again! Of course there must be some engine limitation otherwise Kunos tracks would have 3d trees as well.
So I will try how it works with only one or two rows of 3d trees or go for Y-trees only.

I learned from the thread AccAkut linked that you found out that big physics objects cause CPU warning - this propably is the reason people have CPU warning with my track. Did you go as far as checking how big the physics objects should be?

Next version will have some kind of trees and optimized physical meshes for better CPU performance.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 149 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%