Windows10 (1903 b.18356.1)

Not eager to try it unless when forced too. And now with windows7 supporting DX12, Im thinking of preparing a 3rd hard drive just to test everything in it.

To be honest i'm on the opposite spectrum when it comes to upgrading my racing windows10 OS. After finally having every piece of software and drivers working perfectly with each other, I pull the plug and simply disable every update. The only thing I have updated for the past 4 months is Steam.

Unsurprisingly, you do start to enjoy racing again when you dont have to troubleshoot a new problem every time I started the PC.

Not eager to try it unless when forced too. And now with windows7 supporting DX12
Yes a strange decision from Microsoft, since there's less than 10 months to go, and I gather it won't be the full monty.
Now does this mean we can buy and run games from the store, still over 500 million PC's not on W10.

Anybody else try this version yet?
I switched to it two days ago and it appears to be very stable.
All sims run quite well also.
I will let my son know since he's not been happy with some of the side effects from previous updates.

Sadly Windows 7 is not getting universal DX12 support.
Definitely think they are missing a trick there. If I was a wicked corporate executive I'd have put it on W7 then when support ends
giphy.gif

I wait for release and do full fresh C:\

1809 was still downloading latest update after manual install, whichever is latest

I do full manual updates offline, NOTE: no "Drivers" or "Others" entries ;) how u do dat DD lol

Last edited:
To be honest i'm on the opposite spectrum when it comes to upgrading my racing windows10 OS. After finally having every piece of software and drivers working perfectly with each other, I pull the plug and simply disable every update. The only thing I have updated for the past 4 months is Steam.
Is that possible? I mean to not allow Win10 to auto update more or less every week;)
Im still running Win7 because I want FULL control over every OS upd - and I thought that with Win10 you can only postpone upd at maximum a few weeks:sleep:

Also, you’ll now find the option to “Pause updates” within the main page, and when disabling automatic updates, you can now set the number of days that you want to delay updates. In addition, the ability to pause update up to 35 days is now also available for devices running Windows 10 Home.

Nothing in Pro needed for sim tower

As a long time (though now basically former) network and security admin, mentions about people staying on Windows 7 and/or not updating their systems give me headache. That's just so wrong... (yeah, I know, MS is spying on you in Win10 and all that...)
But I mean...it's your PCs, obviously, so you're entitled to do whatever you like.

As a long time (though now basically former) network and security admin, mentions about people staying on Windows 7 and/or not updating their systems give me headache. That's just so wrong... (yeah, I know, MS is spying on you in Win10 and all that...)
But I mean...it's your PCs, obviously, so you're entitled to do whatever you like.

So am I (currently, not former). What I said was in relation to a spare SSD I have exclusively for competitive racing and VR.

In the main SDD I'm biting the bullet and allowing updates. But just barely accepting it. Just yesterday I wen't to play Forza7 and It asked me to re-download the entire 100GB again out of the blue. A week earlier microsoft launched an update that broke performance in some games. Back in my memory there was one that completely broke surround sound. I mean, the list goes on.

When I have a scheduled race the last thing I want to ever happen again is to have windows shenanigans. Last time it happen wasn't a year ago either, it was 2 months ago here in RD rfactor2 thursday race. Spent the entire practice and qualy time throubleshooting, and it was an update that caused the issues. No more.

• Deleted member 197115

People really have that many problems with Win10 updates, or it's just another trend to blame all your problems on Microsoft?

I think it's kinda both, and more. I do kinda see where people are coming from, even if I don't agree with their "solutions" - for example, the default settings for updates are not exactly great and are not always trivial to change, resulting in updates (or restart prompts) sometimes coming up at the worst possible moment. MS are trying to address some aspects of this at least (for example by introducing the active hours or focus assistent), but some of the options are still only available through Group Policy, which is something that's not even available in Win10 Home by default and a non-IT person will likely not even attempt to use it.

Same goes for the big updates - there are sometimes issues (and there are bound to be), and regular user might find something broke, and solving the problem might be above their skill, or they might not even be willing to try (which is understandable).

But it obviously doesn't help that people often tend to stick with what's working for them, perhaps even unaware of the risks. Media don't exactly help, with way too many of them either blowing every single issue out of proportion, or with seemingly knowledgeable and trustworthy people not really knowing the stuff they write about.

So running a 10 year old system mostly unmaintained and on the brink of being completely abandoned and/or disabling updates in a newer system because they're clearly just a nuisance and do not help things in the slightest might easily seem like a much more sensible alternative than it actually is...

You only need to search browser to see how many have various issues

Only problem I had with updates is the last few builds 1803 -1809 can download the last update twice or more times, only happens with some " cumulative updates "
Apart from that all good

But it obviously doesn't help that people often tend to stick with what's working for them, perhaps even unaware of the risks.
I guess I'm one of them, although I do know the risks, but as long as my AV etc. continue to support W7 I feel reasonably comfortable.
Since Garry got W10 he's already had issues.
I see they are adding the option to delay updates to the home edition and are now able to silently deal with broken updates.
I don't do many pc repairs these days but everyone in the past year has been a W10 problem.

Thing is, a lot of what is labeled as W10 problems/issues is often caused by drivers and software/hardware in general. An example of that is when the Creators (?) update was released, some games including AMS had issues with things like antialiasing. So people were complaining about W10 updates breaking stuff, but it actually was an nVidia issue, not W10/MS issue.

It's similar to how the DX11 update for rF2 broke a lot of mods with those really bright halos/reflections. People were complaining about the DX11 update breaking things, but in reality, what the rF2 devs actually did was *fix* a long-standing issue, it's just that due to this issue, the mods were working correctly when they shouldn't have been in the first place.

So this blaming for problems that are actually caused by a third party but may look like (or are assumed) they're Microsoft's fault further complicates things. That and the fact that hardware/software companies are often very reluctant to fix their stuff (looking at you, Creative...)

I'm sorry but you were referring to a post where I said I have a frozen SSD where nothing is updated, which includes graphics drivers and windows updates. Somehow you turned this into a windows updates only issue and how "its bad". How about stop ignoring the context? Its a dedicated SSD for competitive racing. A black box. Its not "bad", it was necessary.

As for your statement that people don't update because they are unacknowledged and read unacknowledged articles, my post above gave you 2 or 3 examples of problems from personal experience that happened when I was joining club races mid-week.

But you know, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Dan Costa I am pretty sure I was not referring to "a post where you said you have a frozen SSD where nothing is updated", because I don't even really remember such post, much less me referring to it. I am pretty sure I was making some very general comments aimed at nobody in particular, certainly not at you (because, honestly, you seemed kinda annoying from the start in your responses), but you somehow assumed it was all about you and now apparently continue to think everything I wrote so far has been about you and your PC and feel outraged about it. Again, I can assure you it's not, because honestly, I couldn't really care less about you and your frozen SSD. And I honestly don't know what gave you the idea I am talking to you in particular.

So it's also kinda hard for me to "stop ignoring the context", because I was never really addressing your specific context in the first place. (But for the record, I still don't agree that what you're doing is the right thing to do, not by a long shot. But again, it's your PC, so you're absolutely free to do with it as you please and my opinion on it is hardly relevant to you.)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%