Windows 7

what issue are you having regarding the boot manager

I would like to add to the boot menu other OS's, e.g. my parallel existing Vista.

I found a way to get back to my Vista, but that's a serious detour. When you boot again after the installation the Install disk and enter the 'Repair' function, the Vista partition is found and added to the Boot Menu.

In XP (in Vista I actually dont know), you had the boot.ini file which you could edit. As I still have my Linux partition.

With Grub (the Linux Boot Manager) I have trouble with the installation as well.... but that analysis is not yet finished.

See if this utility will help you.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Starting with Windows Vista, MS has moved to the BCD. it is a pseudo database for the boot system.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 also use this.

Windows 7 BCD adds the capability to boot a VHD file directly.

Also with BCD you can set it up to boot to Windows PE 2.0.

Let e know if you need further assistance.

Make sure you are running the games as Administrator. By default you are not running as admin (even if you are an admin on your workstation).

You can right-click on the game shortcut and choose Run as Administrator.

See if this utility will help you.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Starting with Windows Vista, MS has moved to the BCD. it is a pseudo database for the boot system.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 also use this.

Windows 7 BCD adds the capability to boot a VHD file directly.

Also with BCD you can set it up to boot to Windows PE 2.0.

Let e know if you need further assistance.

Just installed it, looks like exactly what I was looking for! Just wondering why MS is not providing such a tool as part of the OS.

A couple of things I am actually pleased by, very important, the Media Center works super with my DVB-T receiver, better than the orginal software! And so far everything super smooth...

Microsoft doesn't provide a so-called gui for it, but they do expose an SDK and useful scripts using powershell. Unfortunately not the eaisest thing to do.

Also with their WAIK toolkit (Windows Automated Installation Kit) they provide a way to customize the way the OS is installed and among other things creating BCD entries. Unfortunately for the WAIK stuff to work you need use the automated file to perform the OS install.

Hopefully the tool will help get what you need done. If not, send me a PM and I will be happy to see what I can do to help

For those lucky enough to have access to MSDN, Windows 7 was released there today.

Just finished installing my PC and runs fine, just like the RC was running fine too :)

Time to bring this old thread back to life with some questions, especially now that it is on the market:)

I see some places selling a Windows 7 upgrade dvd (64bit of course :)), but upgrading from xp you need to do a clean install of 7
so the question is, what is the difference between the upgrade dvd and the oem dvd (I want to do a clean install either way when I install a windows on a pc...:))

I've not seen an 'upgrade' version only retail and OEM versions but as you rightly said you need to do a clean install from XP. My copies of the retail version arrived today and has separate discs for either 32 or 64 Bit installs. I read a while back that the OEM's will be limited to the number of installs and the listings I've seen on web sites you have to buy either 32 bit or 64 bit versions you don't get both like the retail package, how true that is about the limit on installs I don't know but then Microsoft have said that for years about OEM versions.

oh yes the limit
if not mistaken that was said also with vista & xp with OEM
installed oem on different machines already with no problem, so I kind of expect this also with no problem :)

I just wonder about the upgrade DVD
because the OEM Dvd cost here around 160 euro, while being a "student" (really old one btw :)) I can get the upgrade dvd for about 70 euro....so desisions to be made about those 2 version
btw the OEM & upgrade dvd are 7 ultimate 64bit UK

Pat always remember
above 3gb of ram = always 64 bit

Rob if you mean with an OEM version....then in a sense yes....but having experience with xp & vista OEM, you can install it also on another system, if the first system is not being used anymore.
and if it does not activate, you can always call MS support and tell them that you switched to a newer pc.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 245 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 300 13.3%