PC1 Windows 10, DirectX12 and Project Cars

The launch of Windows 10 is imminent (+ -29 July) and one of the improvements that will bring new operating system will be DirectX12. It also seems that DX12 will not be compatible with Windows 8 or 7.
Regarding improvements that can bring DirectX12 has commented: better use of all CPU cores (now the first supports 80% of the load while others are almost no load) and another interesting thing is the better functioning of the SLI - crossfire along with a general improvement in the performance of our overpriced GPU`S.

It also appears that SLI can be done with different graphics cards and RAM are added.

Overall it sounds promising and it seems that DX12 will work with most graphics cards with less than two years.

I wonder if Project Cars "1" will benefit from these improvements, if developers will adapt to squeeze DX12 or this will be for Project Cars "2".

Does anyone know anything about it?

Howdy folks. Just one short advice from a guy that had Windows from the first version 'till now W7 64 bit:
As the free update is ava. for 1 year, better wait a month or two untill you update your system.
Watch all forums closly about bugs etc. You have time enough to go for W10.
As i said, it is just an advice from an old fart like me. ;)
Cheers,
Andrew

The launch of Windows 10 is imminent (+ -29 July) and one of the improvements that will bring new operating system will be DirectX12. It also seems that DX12 will not be compatible with Windows 8 or 7.
Regarding improvements that can bring DirectX12 has commented: better use of all CPU cores (now the first supports 80% of the load while others are almost no load) and another interesting thing is the better functioning of the SLI - crossfire along with a general improvement in the performance of our overpriced GPU`S.

It also appears that SLI can be done with different graphics cards and RAM are added.

Overall it sounds promising and it seems that DX12 will work with most graphics cards with less than two years.

I wonder if Project Cars "1" will benefit from these improvements, if developers will adapt to squeeze DX12 or this will be for Project Cars "2".

Does anyone know anything about it?

As I understand it, Ian has given the green light for implementing DX12 in Project CARS. Freeing up CPU cycles on the PC (due to less graphics driver CPU overhead) gives the developers more breathing room with respect to the number of cycles consumed by the various subsystems responsible for the physics calculations.

And for what it is worth, early indications are that the switch from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (and hence from Windows Display Driver Model 1.x to WDDM 2.x) will lessen the CPU bottleneck in AMD's WDDM 1.x DX11 drivers which Project CARS has helped expose. So the switch from Win 8.1 to Win 10 alone will likely bring AMD GPU performance back to parity with similarly priced NVidia GPUs in Project CARS; at least, that is what the Win 10 preview pCARS benchmarks conducted by WMD member and compulsive benchmarker Aldo Zampatti have shown so far.

I hope that helps. :)

Howdy folks. Just one short advice from a guy that had Windows from the first version 'till now W7 64 bit:
As the free update is ava. for 1 year, better wait a month or two untill you update your system.
Watch all forums closly about bugs etc. You have time enough to go for W10.
As i said, it is just an advice from an old fart like me. ;)
Cheers,
Andrew
I thinked to do the same here initially, but... i'm in the middle of the remount of my rig after some time, and i don't want to reinstall everything at the end of the year (especially redownload all steam games with italian bandwidth :(); this time i will jump on the windows ten bandwagon from the start, and take the risk :D

Is upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 as much hassle as I think it's going to be? (removing/backing up all data, re-installing everything, sitting in front of my PC all day...)
Or is there going to be some magic new way?
Wow, replying to myself. Madness!

Reading about this via @Andrew 's link, it turns out it's not gonna be that much hassle to upgrade to 10. It'll be a bit like a service pack/upgrade simply (in theory, anyway).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%