Windows 10 and GSCE

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
Being the OS whore that I am I couldn't resist trying out the new technical preview of windows 10...so far so good, wheel (T500) running perfect, rfactor 2 installed and running fine, some strange errors that i think were relating to direct x right at the end of the GSCE installation which got me worrying slightly as without GSCE id be going back to 8.1 pretty quickly, but on firing up the game it works flawlessly, happy dayz!

ive been putting it through its paces and gotta say so far its running lovely, seems general operations have been sped up slightly as the whole thing feels very snappy. Lots of features that seem to have been brought over from unix OS's and even the slight fade on the opening/closing windows feels very compiz(linux compositing manager)

The main thing is so far it seems to have no problems running any of the games ive thrown at it (rf2, GSCE, R3E and AC) and the hardware is working. I remember trying out the tech preview of win 8 at a similar stage and it was a very different experience with a lot of my hardware and software unusable due to driver issues etc.

Wow you really are fast in switching to a new OS!
For all who are mislead like me: The Windows 9 name was changed to 10! There will be no 9...

(this would be better in the tech forum?)

yeah i wasnt sure where to put it but as the only errors ive experienced so far came from the GSCE installation and the fact the errors didnt seem to effect the actual game, i thought id put it here in case anyone else was getting the same, or even flag it to the developers.

I'll probably reinstall the game tomorrow and ill take note what the error boxes said, was maybe 3 or 4 popped up in quick succession during the end of the direct x installer.

I installed Windows 10 64bit on a spare partition.

I got Race 07 and R3E working but AC just goes back to the race selection screen when I tell it to start race. Also it has no Resolution selected on the video options screen.

I can't get the DXWebSetup to work, it just hangs, so I can't get it to check the DX9 installations. All the Steam games I run also stall at installing DX9 but some of them work afterwards anyway.

It was a clean installation on a new partition so I have no idea what's wrong with it and why your AC works and mine doesn't. I googled the issue and it seems lots of other people have had issues getting the DX9 installer to run too.

Ive had no problems at all running any games, slight issue with the new dsr nvidia driver and the latest "BIG" windows 10 update but was a simple fix. I got a few odd dx errors on first install of gsce but my friend who also installed win 10 didnt get the same errors so i think its hardware related on my end and hasnt caused me any issues.

Last edited:
I just spent an hour or two doing a CLEAN install of Windows 10 (64) and Steam and AC without installing anything else first and AC works, so the fault must lie with something I installed last time. That means it was either System Mechanic Pro (AV/Maint Suite) or the latest AMD video drivers.

I'm going to install the Video drivers again now to see if AC still works.
Edit: Video Drivers went in fine. Must be the other software.

Last edited:
yeah im about to start putting some of my music production software back on this machine and im pretty sure Im destined for trouble with my motu soundcard drivers/windows 10 and maybe conflicts like you've suffered, im tempted to run a second install to keep the games and software separate

Well, so far all my games are working this time so it just seems to be a case of being careful with anything that might change the system hive. Steam games and Origin games have all worked. The Logitech G25 64b drivers installed without a hitch too and the full FFB is working as expected.

AC, Race 07, SWTOR, etc., all working in full 1080p.:thumbsup:

It is looking like the design idiots at Microsoft decided to finally listen to all the feedback we gave them in the Windows 8 Beta about 1) not forcing Metro on Desktop users 2) Putting the Start Menu back and 3) Getting rid of the silly 'hotzone' menu at the bottom corner of the screen.

Shame it's taken them this long, and a lot of lost sales, to realise that people prefer Windows 7 functionality for desktops to Windows 8.

I still feel the current very-square windows and menus are a step backwards from the 'rounded' aesthetics of Windows 7. They put me more in mind of the old Windows 3.1 layout. :laugh:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back