Wind: SimRacingStudio vs Motion House (not DIY)

NetLawMan

Premium
Hi,

I am looking at these two systems to add wind to my d-box motion simulator. SRS seems to have more sophisticated software allowing for auto tuning for cars/tracks, and wind curving. On the other hand, Motion House seems to have more refined HW (perhaps with a smoother gradation of wind speeds). Note that SRS just released the Hurricane version of their system where it does not look like the motion House system has been updated in a while.

Has anyone used these systems recently? Generally the online reviews are far enough apart time-wise, that it is hard to use those to compare. I would be great for people to share their experiences.

I am hoping to limit the discussion to experiences with these two systems and avoid talking about DIY (or other alternate systems), or the “realism” of wind systems generally.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I've got a couple of the SRS fans and the system works well. The software is pretty easy to use and configure so no complaints there. Fans are fairly loud though, I've been tempted to swap them for some Noctua ones but never really got round to it (so clearly they're not too loud).

Apart from that I don't really know what to say - it's just a couple of fans blowing in your face. Others might have more input if they've got more sophisticated setups, but really I just run mine pretty low to keep me cool (and to keep the noise down a bit). I never really found much immersion benefit from the curving settings and certainly don't bother changing the settings per car.

Basically as long as it keeps me a bit cooler then I'm happy. Though I could've saved a lot of money if I'd just bought a couple of fans that I switch on myself when I race!

Upvote 0
One thing I forgot about. When I'd had it a little while I had an issue where the fans would reset to 100% when starting the software. I sent an email to SRS on a Saturday morning querying it. Got a reply straight back saying it sounded like a bug and they'd look into it. A few hours later, he sent me another email saying he'd fixed it and I could close the app and reopen it to update.

So the SRS support is pretty amazing from that experience, fixing a minor software bug the same day it's reported, and on a weekend.

Upvote 0
Any updates on the systems? I'm thinking of ordering a wind system and trying to decide between the two, SRS vs MotionHouse
I prefer the Motion House system. Better build and hardware. Better “wind” experience, and better SW. MH feels more like wind and SRS feels more like fans. MH fully forwards telemetry data. SRS did not forward as well. SRS should definitely target beating the quality/refinement that motionhouse has. And motion house is a gen 1 product with gen 2 delayed due to global chip shortage (that’s what they told me.). SRS Wind curving and auto tuning was not enough to overcome the motion house solution. The SRS solution is a bit quieter, but I think that is because it is moving less air. MH has better mounting option. They are literally like jet engine wings, but they are adjustable. Ignore the Velcro in the photo as I added that when I was testing the SRS and needed a stable mount.

Attachments

• 36694646-004A-4E4B-B3D1-C00B5D54E29D.jpeg
    36694646-004A-4E4B-B3D1-C00B5D54E29D.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 121
  • C7329263-54B3-42A8-8386-02A6F0658527.jpeg
    C7329263-54B3-42A8-8386-02A6F0658527.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
I prefer the Motion House system. Better build and hardware. Better “wind” experience, and better SW. MH feels more like wind and SRS feels more like fans. MH fully forwards telemetry data. SRS did not forward as well. SRS should definitely target beating the quality/refinement that motionhouse has. And motion house is a gen 1 product with gen 2 delayed due to global chip shortage (that’s what they told me.). SRS Wind curving and auto tuning was not enough to overcome the motion house solution. The SRS solution is a bit quieter, but I think that is because it is moving less air. MH has better mounting option. They are literally like jet engine wings, but they are adjustable. Ignore the Velcro in the photo as I added that when I was testing the SRS and needed a stable mount.
Good to know there is a Gen2 coming out. Their Gen1 is out of stock for "some reason" so I will wait until the new product is released. Wish they would make a proper mount for P1X. This product seems the way to go though. I am not interested in DIY solutions even if these are significantly more expensive.

Upvote 0
I have the SRS double fan kit and I like it for tye work it does . I drive mostly GT cars so no need to strong wind effect . I even use only 50% of strength setting.. it’s mostly for VR use to have some fresh air during hot days ( I have AC system to). Motion House kit is better but it is much more expensive and it doesn’t justify the price for the use I need for it.

Attachments

• A68B01BE-477E-4F75-8CEE-352CC19DA8BC.jpeg
    A68B01BE-477E-4F75-8CEE-352CC19DA8BC.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Attachments

• CAC9B9FC-5B1F-4A16-B268-E634FF1E907B.jpeg
    CAC9B9FC-5B1F-4A16-B268-E634FF1E907B.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0