Williams-Renault

So, after Williams' quite frankly dire run with the Cosworth CA- series engine, they've finally decided to return to the Renault engine for 2012 (with an option for 2014...TURBOS!!!). Considering that Williams were the "best" of the Cosworth engine runners this season, does anyone reckon they'll be back to winning form next season? It would be nice to see them competing with the front-runners again.

A year too late IMO, if they had it this year they may have had the off-throttle exhaust blowing, although that depends on the car. The capability would have been there regardless of aero package. It would have, at the very least, put them in the battle with FI, Toro Rosso etc meaning the potential of more TV money at the end of this year.
We can speculate, but in the end it didn't happen. Let's hope next year will be brighter for this old and withered team, especially with the potential return of Iceman.

The off-throttle is on it's way out so the playfield is even. I think the engine will give them a little boost but it's gonna be uphill battle. Latest rumours state that Kimi is in the "top slot" for driving next year for them. Christain Wolf said in an interview with Austrian paper that "the documents are in the table" and that it is not a publicity stunt like Renault did last year (source:Iltasanomat).

Bad news is of course the fact that Iceman is not a very good communicator.. Typical Finnish male, don't talk and when he does it's short and straight to the point. There's not a lot you can read from his bodylanguage, combine that with the unability to smalltalk (not a part of our national heritage, small talk is not encouraged here..) and the team may feel cold and alienated. But boy, is he fast?

In any case, Williams won't be on the podium any time soon unless they can work some miracles in the next few months. I like Barrichello, a lot, one of the best guys out there, very sweet guy. But he's been too long out of the top fights, time to retire, me thinks.

When I saw Kimi at the WRC Start the other day, the interviewer asked him about moving to Williams and he said there was no contract signed. I did seem as though something was happening with it though, so watch this space!

They have a good designer now, have a good engine, and if the rumors are right they will have a world champion driving their car and it's also said that he brings an oil company with him as a sponsor. That's a good recipe, they just need to boil it a bit:) I doubt they will be straight at the top next year, but they will most probably start climbing the hill again:)

It'd be nice to see them scoring points again next year, but I'm not expecting any massive transformations until the new engines in 2014.
That's when everyone has to massively re-adapt.

i think that sourcing renault engines has saved the team. i dont know how much longer they could of survived down the back of the pack with bad engines. im glad to see that they now have a chance to move forwards.

Because Nissan may be stronger at the V6 element of the engineering than Renault are.
All part of the Renault/Nissan/Infiniti partnership. Using eachother's strengths.

Renault only ever designed a handful of V6s that weren't particularly great. Actually I think that the only V6s they ever used with were actually Peugeot engines. Nissan, on the other hand, has been doing turbo V6s since forever.

True, but Red Bull have been working exclusively with Infiniti for certain aspects of their technology. Different divisions of the brand can offer different strengths and solutions.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 452 39.2%