Alright when was that again.....?

In fact its a good news. It was impossible and painful to see so great and legendary team in today situation. Many thanks to the Williams family for everything they did. And we will always be with the team. Now the team needs theirs fans more than ever.

After Lotus, Williams have been my favourite team since I started watching F1 in 1985. Sadly, if Frank or his family are no longer involved,it's going to be just another corporate investment, rather than a team that's in it for the competition.
Thanks for the great memories.

I still remember vividly when Williams won its first race. Silverstone 1979 with good old Clay Regazzoni at the wheel. Suddenly, the Williams was the car to beat. Good looking car too.

I've always liked that team and always had tremendous respect for Sir Frank. A true racer and one incredibly determined man. Someone who lived for F1. It was really sad to see the team steadily go down the standings and hit rock bottom over the last couple of seasons. And contrary to many, I don't blame Claire for the team's demise. No one could have done better considering what F1 has become. How can a private team compete when other spend 400 million dollars a year and employ 1000 people? It was mission impossible.

Very sad day for F1.

I still remember vividly when Williams won its first race. Silverstone 1979 with good old Clay Regazzoni at the wheel. Suddenly, the Williams was the car to beat. Good looking car too.

I've always liked that team and always had tremendous respect for Sir Frank. A true racer and one incredibly determined man. Someone who lived for F1. It was really sad to see the team steadily go down the standings and hit rock bottom over the last couple of seasons. And contrary to many, I don't blame Claire for the team's demise. No one could have done better considering what F1 has become. How can a private team compete when other spend 400 million dollars a year and employ 1000 people? It was mission impossible.

Very sad day for F1.

I remember that car, the FW07. It was Williams first ground effects car. Designed by Patrick Head and Neil Oatley. By the end of the year Alan Jones was winning everything in that car. If they would of had that car at the beginning of the year, Jody Scheckter and Ferrari wouldn't have won the 1979 WDC. In 1980 Jones, and Williams, took the FW07B to the WDC, and the Constructors Championship.

I like how this week's poll is a multi-select! Having multiple winners for a single race might be just the kind of off the wall innovation the sport needs!

My prediction for the race (shamelessly stolen from a YouTube comment I found funny):

"It's lights out and away we go and Lewis Hamilton wins the Italian grand prix!"

This truly sad. I just hope the name carries on into the future and maybe with this funding from Dorilton there will be fighting in the midfield with two drivers capable of doing it. No offense to Latfi.

Huge respect to Sir Frank for what he has done. He is a remarkable person. Wishing you and Clarie and the rest of the Williams family the best for the future.

I remember that car, the FW07. It was Williams first ground effects car. Designed by Patrick Head and Neil Oatley. By the end of the year Alan Jones was winning everything in that car. If they would of had that car at the beginning of the year, Jody Scheckter and Ferrari wouldn't have won the 1979 WDC. In 1980 Jones, and Williams, took the FW07B to the WDC, and the Constructors Championship.

What a great season 1979 turned out to be! Ligier dominated early on, Ferrari was always a possible winner, Renault won their first race, we had that amazing battle between Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon and another battle between Jones and Villeneuve at Zandvoort, Williams suddenly becoming a dominant team during the second half... I was 13 and I would see the races one week later (and condensed to a 60 minute summary... that's the way it was in Canada back then) and it was still exciting!

Sad day and I guess like others here, I'll just keep the memories, thank you Williams.
It's a shame and I guess it's a matter of time before the team is wound up and it will cease to be.

Big question here is, with car manufacturers known to quit racing series at the drop of a hat, what happens to F1 when some of these larger teams decide to leave?

How is it, when major teams like Williams and Ferrari fall off the cliff, they can't climb back up? It took Mclaren, about ..what??? 6 years to recover their collapse. How is it that a design choice failure cannot be rectified by the next season?

RIP Williams team.. There will be no "Williams team" without Williams family. It is sad that one of the team that has given so many wonderful moments to F1 history has ended this way. Nevertheless, it is a good exit for the Williams family and hopefully this moment will be the beginning of prosperous future for all other team members.

Last edited:
How is it, when major teams like Williams and Ferrari fall off the cliff, they can't climb back up? It took Mclaren, about ..what??? 6 years to recover their collapse. How is it that a design choice failure cannot be rectified by the next season?
I think in Ferraris case it is because they were cheating and got caught, once their toys were taken away they realised they were relying too heavily on them and had gotten complacent in other areas leaving the rest of the package underdeveloped.

After that blame the FIAs cost caps, limited testing, insistence by the FIA to develop with CFD i.e. limited time in wind tunnel with scale models, development token system, limited number of power units etc, so ultimately its the FIAs tactics to level the playing field that is having precisely the opposite effect - which will be further evident with the introduction of the engine mapping restrictions this weekend.

These teams have very talented and committed engineers, working around the clock year in year out. If you slow down you get left behind. If you run a 100m sprint and stumble, there's no catching up and winning the race, you have to wait until a new race to get your chance. In F1 terms a new race is a major rule change and even then the big teams start the race earlier than the small ones.

Oh, and with McLaren it was their doomed partnership with Honda that left them out in the wilderness for so long, once that was over they started clawing their way back.

Last edited:
3i3hq9.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 309 27.6%