Alright when was that again.....?

Turkey is a solid one, but the rest looks like "highest bidder gets to host".

And what's with the brand name barrage in the GP names?
Sponsored GP names dates back many decades. The first one I see in historic lists is the 1967 Player's Grand Prix of Canada, followed by the 1971 Woolmark British Grand Prix. By the mid 70's and certainly in 80's it looks like many GPs had tobacco or alcohol companies in their names. The prevalence of GP sponsors may have decreased at times, but certainly in the last decade almost every GP has had a title sponsor

I have heard that F1 is actually paying most of the circuits to host races this year. Without fans the circuits can't make any income and can't afford to host, but F1 really can't afford to skip a season. Turkey is actually the first GP on the calendar that plans on being open to fans and has a potential to earn an income

Reactions: dud
My first F1 GP that I attended was the 1991 British GP. I still remember seeing Andrea de Cesaris crash his Jordan. As well as seeing Mansell driving past with Senna as a passenger because he ran out of fuel on the last lap.

Frank is down the road, so is Clare.
End of another chapter in motorsport, adios and grassyass for the great times; the mansell, piquet, prost, hill days

Last edited:
That is awful news maybe I read it wrong last time I thought they sold the team but would still be running it etc I never thought they sold it and was leaving 100% a massive historical F1 team ended because someone wanted to eat some bat soup seems even harsher!

Hopefully future Williams team produces just as badass cars as in past:

riccardo_patrese__portugal_1991.jpg
J_p_montoya_usgp_2004.jpg

Sponsored GP names dates back many decades. The first one I see in historic lists is the 1967 Player's Grand Prix of Canada, followed by the 1971 Woolmark British Grand Prix. By the mid 70's and certainly in 80's it looks like many GPs had tobacco or alcohol companies in their names. The prevalence of GP sponsors may have decreased at times, but certainly in the last decade almost every GP has had a title sponsor

I have heard that F1 is actually paying most of the circuits to host races this year. Without fans the circuits can't make any income and can't afford to host, but F1 really can't afford to skip a season. Turkey is actually the first GP on the calendar that plans on being open to fans and has a potential to earn an income
Not true. Mugello is the first one. Prices, however, are utterly rubbish for what will be offered (nothing).
Portimao will be open to spectators as well, as will Sochi.

If, instead, you mean the only race with the potential of actually turning a profit this year, then you're double wrong. Nobody ever cared about F1 in Turkey and attendance has always been very low, even without a global pandemic. They (the organizers) claim that they can safely house 100k spectators, not a chance even a fraction of that is going to show up. They (the people) never did when things were normal, they never will now.

Since the new owner is an investment group I wonder what they will do if the didn't get a return. They surely have a target as to when they want to make money. They must see something otherwise they wouldn't invest. It's not like some crazy rich guy buying himself an F1 team just for the fun of owning it.

Not true. Mugello is the first one. Prices, however, are utterly rubbish for what will be offered (nothing).
Portimao will be open to spectators as well, as will Sochi.

If, instead, you mean the only race with the potential of actually turning a profit this year, then you're double wrong. Nobody ever cared about F1 in Turkey and attendance has always been very low, even without a global pandemic. They (the organizers) claim that they can safely house 100k spectators, not a chance even a fraction of that is going to show up. They (the people) never did when things were normal, they never will now.
Thanks for the correction. I did not realize those earlier races planned to be open

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2020 Formula One Italian Grand Prix.

This weekend Formula One returns to the fastest circuit on the calendar, as the iconic Monza holds its 70th Grand Prix.

It's easy to forget that just one year ago Charles Leclerc won his second race for Ferrari in front of the Italian tifosi. It seems unlikely that he will repeat that feat this year.

After a dominant display last weekend at Spa, Mercedes look like the favourites after picking up their second one-two finish this season. However, with a sporting regulation change set to affect teams' qualifying performance, is it quite that simple? It is expected that the ban on the so-called 'party modes' will affect the power unit manufacturer that does it the best, more so than the others.

Max Verstappen has been in the form of his life this season, and been the main challenger to Mercedes, and will no doubt be hoping to take advantage of this rule change. Let's not forget that Renault seemed to hit a 'sweet spot' with their low downforce package at Spa last weekend. Could a resurgent Renault steal a spot on the front row come Saturday at the high speed Monza circuit?

Only time will tell...

footer.jpg

Attachments

• Header (1).jpg
    Header (1).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline