Williams Enjoy "Valuable" Bahrain Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Williams Test.jpg

As Williams struggle to overcome their poor start to the year, the Bahrain in-season test has proven "valuable" to the outfit according to Senior Race Engineer Dave Robson.

2019 has started out as pretty much the worst season in the long and illustrious history of this once great team, and despite the obvious driving talents of both Robert Kubica and young British hopeful George Russell, Williams have still not been fast enough to lift the squad even remotely close to the tail end of the grid - something that the team back at Grove remain hard at work looking to rectify ahead of the next Grand Prix.

With the opportunity to remain in Bahrain for a two day test session following the Bahrain Grand Prix, Williams amassed an impressive number of laps in the hands of both race drivers and young reserve Nicolas Latifi - something that the team have stated has been of great importance as they look to pull out of the current slump in which they have found themselves.

“This week has been a valuable opportunity to test the FW42 at a circuit we have just raced at." said the long time Williams engineer. "The opportunity to run all three of our official drivers, as well as a free choice from the Pirelli compound range has enabled us, for the first time, to explore a wide range of the FW42’s operating window in warm conditions.”

“The race team, ably supported by their colleagues back in Grove, have done a superb job of building and maintaining both the car, and the test components. The fast-paced nature of Formula One places great demands on them and their families at this time of the year; their dedication to the job is crucial and much appreciated" added Robson.
For his own part, Latifi had a very solid time behind the wheel of an FW42 that Robert Kubica described recently as "undrivable". The Canadian Formula Two driver provided an accomplished performance for the team during his running on Wednesday, keeping the car firmly on the tarmac and proving the team with solid feedback as to where improvements can be found for the rest of the season.

With two races gone, Williams remain last in the constructors championship with a best finish of 15th for Russell last time out.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Someone needs to figure why he is 1sec behind Russel. Is it his talent, his arm, his car?

I'd say his arm is a big factor. Maybe the car is not suited to his style. (Gasly is also having a hard time figuring out the Red Bull). Not having a full-time drive in F1 for 8 years doesn't help. If a mega-talent like Schumacher struggled after being away for 3 years, Imagine what it must be like for Kubica.

Reactions: NDG
Maybe he (or his right arm) gets tired after certain period of time.
He was actually in front of Russell for some time in Bahrain race then he slipped more and more behind. =/

True. But that does not explain his gap to Russell. :unsure:
Unless what Robert says is true, being that it appears they have different cars. I remember a few years back Hamilton suddenly having issues with his car. Took it back to the factory, disassembled it, and found a small crack in the chassis. Maybe similar happening here?

It may be harsh, but everyone who thinks that an injury of that magnitude isn't a handicap in this level of competition needs to put their rose colored glasses down.

Try driving your car for a long period of time with basically just one hand.
Now imagine the forces in a F1 car.

Don't get me wrong, i really like Kubica and the fact that Williams gave him a chance is great but it really depends on how he performs this year. The last thing Williams needs right now is putting nostalgia over performance.

Last edited:
It may be harsh, but everyone who thinks that an injury of that magnitude isn't a handicap in this level of competition needs to put their rose colored glasses down.

Try driving your car for a long period of time with basically just one hand.
Now imagine the forces in a F1 car.

Don't get me wrong, i really like Kubica and the fact that Williams gave him a chance is great but it really depends on how he performs this year. The last thing Williams needs right now is putting nostalgia over performance.

I get the feeling Williams was hoping to generate publicity (which means sponsorships) when they hired Kubica. It's a feel good story, for sure, but I'm still puzzled by that decision.

Someone needs to figure why he is 1sec behind Russel. Is it his talent, his arm, his car?

Someone needs to wake up, it's not Australia anymore. The gap is now 0.05s. That's the gap between F2 and GP3 CHAMPION vs. a ONE-HANDED HIBERNEE!

Come on guys, 2 races so far, and you're judgemental as f**k, I expected more from racing fans...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 266 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 176 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 178 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 131 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 235 13.5%