Williams confirm Maldonado will remain with team

Tell me guys, do you think this is a good move from williams or not?

Pastor Maldonado, Williams, Interlagos, 2011
Pastor Maldonado will continue to drive for Williams in 2012, the team has confirmed.
Frank Williams said: “Pastor has proven this year that he is not only quick but also that he is able to maintain a consistent and strong race pace.

“Pastor has been responsible for all of our forays into Q3 in 2011 and his race at Monaco was outstanding. Pastor has also settled into the team at Williams very well, contributing strongly in the factory and with our partners.
“He will play a critical role in 2012 as we rebuild the team and move forward.”

Maldonado said: “This has been a tough season for the whole team but it has given me personally the opportunity to learn and develop.

“I am convinced that the steps we have taken to improve our competitiveness will bear fruit in 2012 and beyond. I am thrilled to be part of that and also to represent the people of Venezuela in Formula One.”
Valtteri Bottas, who drove for the team during the young drivers’ test, has also been announced as the team’s reserve driver for next season.

source

Poor Choice - Rubens has been quicker, at least in the races anyway, by quite a bit.

Translation of the PR blurb: Pastor has money

Points are won in the race, not qualifying (although track position can help of course).

Rubens of the two is who I would have kept because of his experience. Money is a big factor, but pointless if your team isn't going anywhere.

I think we should have a veterans F1 championship. Get the older drivers involved there if they don't have the money.

Rubens has disappointed me in the 2nd half of the season, Maldonado was either on pace or faster. Sure Ruby is an epic guy, but it seems like his time is over...

Shame though it's not Kimi and rather "Stupil", who should have been performing like now a lot earlier, but crashed all the time. That's why I'd like someone else than "Mr. Medion" getting the seat.

Maldonado doesn't add anything extra to Formula 1 in my opinion. Too many silly mistakes this season. I really hope Williams can afford it to hire a more talented driver instead of letting drivers in that bring money to the team. That alone says enough about the quality of the driver.

I was hoping that Bottas would get another seat but he only has talent and no money at all, so the best he could get was a reserve seat with 15 friday practise sessions. Hopefully that makes him a 2013 race driver.

Maldonado isn't really anything special for F1 and my choice for next season would be Sutil and Bottas.

"Money money money, must be funny, in a rich man's world."

I've seen worse performances by pay-drivers. I have to know, since Deletrash drove in F1. Add the Lavaggis, Schiatarellas, Nodas and whatnots to that and Maldonado looks like an ace!

To be fair, he has shown promise in Qualifying, but people look past it because he payed for hes ride even though he won the GP2 title in 2010.

If doesn't improve next season then i think its warranted.

That PR release is garbage, but I personally don't think any driver should be dropped after their rookie season unless they are absolutely atrocious. Pastor is only 2 places in the WDC under Rubens and was often faster in the latter half of the seasson. That's pretty respectable given what he was driving.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back