Will you buy rFactor 2?

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Yeah very early to ask with not much information released yet, but what we have seen so far looks very promising.
With rFactor growing and growing each day at RaceDepartment we expect rFactor 2 to be an instant hit for our racing club and racing leagues. Hence the question: "Will you get rFactor 2?"

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and any other physical medium for games are dead. downloading to the hard drive is so much better. You save money since theres no cd, case or paper back manual to be printed and not to forget the fact that developers get a much bigger percent of the money spent on each download sale than from when a cd sells at a shop. not only that, but the game stays with you forever because you cant lose the CD key if you try since steam keeps it in the library for when you change pc.

Obviously, I agree with you guys.

However, Gjon and his team have to be aware of the Iracing community effect (it may seem odd, but more and more discussions about their aggressiveness surface).

As soon as Gjon said a few words about the game engine underneath rFactor 2, there were several discussions here and there about iRacing having this "awesome", "revolutionary" and non-empirical tire model and physics in general, and rFactor 2 being more of the same (we know better, but some just parrot around what iRacing zealots spread). Maybe someone must make these people understand what are the full implications of empirical vs theoretical models and what sort of data must feed them.

Being iRacing as aggressive as they are (community and PR wise), anyone willing to face them with a good product (be it ISI or SIMBIN) has to do something similar to what SMS did when they compared their SHIFT 2 to GT5/Forza 3.

In any case, as always, I hope the sheer quality of ISI's work will stand on its own. Hopefully, ISI will keep it also moddable- that by itself will trigger the interest of many, many simracers (especially hardcore ones), beyond the core of loyalists (I am one of them).

I think rFactor2 will have a market of it's own, who want nothing to do with the monthly 'pay-to-play' catagory. I know that's the catagory I'm in. I'll buy rFactor2 as soon as it's released. I have not looked at Iracing once.

Obviously, I agree with you guys.

However, Gjon and his team have to be aware of the Iracing community effect (it may seem odd, but more and more discussions about their aggressiveness surface).

As soon as Gjon said a few words about the game engine underneath rFactor 2, there were several discussions here and there about iRacing having this "awesome", "revolutionary" and non-empirical tire model and physics in general, and rFactor 2 being more of the same (we know better, but some just parrot around what iRacing zealots spread). Maybe someone must make these people understand what are the full implications of empirical vs theoretical models and what sort of data must feed them.

Being iRacing as aggressive as they are (community and PR wise), anyone willing to face them with a good product (be it ISI or SIMBIN) has to do something similar to what SMS did when they compared their SHIFT 2 to GT5/Forza 3.

In any case, as always, I hope the sheer quality of ISI's work will stand on its own. Hopefully, ISI will keep it also moddable- that by itself will trigger the interest of many, many simracers (especially hardcore ones), beyond the core of loyalists (I am one of them).

Why are you so focussed on iRacing and why are iRacing being agressive? I see a company talking to their community, telling its customers whats being planned, whats coming down the line, what their vision of the future of the product is. They release video's, they are active onn their forum and you'll see staff members actually using the game. If you look at other more popular genre's such as FPS games and games that aare being released on console formats you get regular updates from them, developer diaries screenshots and video's showing new features being worked on etc. ISI need to show off more of their game but they are not for whatever reason, they took on a guy to help with this and there's been hardly a murmur from them.

When you use words like 'zealots' just makes you come across as being one yourself. Loyalist? really? come on, why do people (not you specifically) have to make a choice over one game or the other like its a life or death choice? right now I enjoy iRacing, I think its pushed the genre forward a little with the laser scanned tracks, tyre model and general 'feel' after I felt the genre stagnated with a few sims all sharing the same game engine. I have rFactor, GT Legends, GTR, the RACE series, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, SHIFT 1 & 2 and a whole host of other games installed not to mention my console racing games such as Forza 1,2 and 3 and the complete Gran Turismo series. I'll almost certainly buy rFactor 2 on the day of release unless a meteor falls from the sky and kills my PC. I'm a sim racer, I keep my options open, its a shame more members here don't do the same.

Why are you so focussed on iRacing
That's fun when people go to the rFactor forums and go on about how crappy rF is over iRacing.
These mention about new screen shots and more news about the development from iR over rF2. You must realise that we can't compare the two at all in this respect.
Format=iRacing.

iRacing is a format in which we pay a monthly fee. We pay to first buy and use the scanned tracks and we buy the cars of our choice to advance through the virtual racing world. To keep us involved and interested in buy more tracks and the latest cars iR keeps us up to date with the latest development and up and coming cars, tracks and physics so we may be enticed into continuing which our monthly subscription. This money that we provide is then used to pay the team and pay for new Lazar scanned tracks and cars. Without the continued updates and news on the next new thing coming to iR we'd soon start to wonder why we're paying all this money for a game that's not going forward and start looking for the next best thing.

Format=rFactor2.
I don't think we should bring a format to the table that as yet hasn't been released but this is the hole point here. Though in saying that I will add from rFactor as it is now. We have no real idea on how rF2 is set up in comparison to rFactor now so let's just look at rFactor now.

rFactor is a format that we buy as a one off payment. There are no further costs that the developer receives after the one off payment. Development from now on is out off the developers hands and left up to "us" the community. We see new development and additions in the way of screenshot, Youtube or the like videos. We get news from the mod teams all the time and we get new tracks and car series released all the time. These things are added to rFactor by you for the cost off the download. Neither ISI or the producer of this add-on receives payment in hole or part even though some have given the rFactor community lazar scanned tracks. In addition we have recieve some "very high quality" car models.

That's the basics of the two formats we're talking about here. Though if we go further we can add SIMBIN, Codemasters and all the other sim producers to the list of rFactor.

Ok now we are thinking it's all about the money!
In part I'd have to say yes but lets be honest beside the lazar scanning what has iRacing really got? It all comes down to physics. In any sim that's the most important thing. How dose the car feel? We all see the quality of the graphics now produced by console format games but their still arcade style games when it comes down to driving. If the driving isn't what your looking for you just want great graphics then what are you doing with either iRacing or rFactor.

So now we're down to Physics. This is the one component that separates the two format's we're talking about here.

I don't have or have ever had iRacing so any compare for me is only possible by what I've read from others.

iRacing is the leader in this but the reason is simple enough. Again it comes down to our money being put into the development by paying people a full time job to work on this every day all day. If rFactor had the same would it be better the iRacing?

My opinion is yes. Cause this isn't said lightly. We see quite often when talking about how the cars feel we get "we want more realism".
Ok so I've asked the question now more then once, "What do you see as realism?" The forums fall that quite that even crickets die!

That's fun when people go to the rFactor forums and go on about how crappy rF is over iRacing.
These mention about new screen shots and more news about the development from iR over rF2. You must realise that we can't compare the two at all in this respect.

If you're talking about the official rFactor forums then the same happens in the iRacing forums believe it or not and as its only open to subscription paying members you have to wonder why they pay their monthly fee's just to sit in the forums and moan and complain that sim x or y has feature a or b and iRacing doesn't, makes no sense to me, if you're not having fun move on.

If you're talking about RD forums then there is no 'going to' in the sense people go out of their way to come to the rFactor forums just to berate it, troll like comments also get posted in the iRacing forums here too. RaceDepartment runs events and covers news for a wide range of sims including iRacing, rFactor, RACE and a whole host of other PC titles and also covers some of the great racing games like Forza, GT5 and CM's F1 2010 on the console format too. RD transcends those perceived sim boundaries and so members should also do the same, sadly some don't.

It was RD's more adult approach to covering console games that encouraged me to join in discussion's here. Even though I'm primarily a PC gamer I started as a staff member for the GT5 forum. I'm now more involved in the iRacing events here but I'm a racing sim fan which is why I mentioned above I have rFactor installled, the RACE series, GTR, CM F12010 (on PC and XBOX), GT5, GT Legends, Live for Speed, netKar Pro, SHIFT and numerous others.

Rather than focus negatively on other sims it would be far better to focus that energy on something more positive.

See I was reading the bit in the brackets. That gives an impression to me that me may get some kind of closed test at the end of this year with select members of the community, and maybe open beta in the beginning of 2012?

Yup That is what I meant :p

They’ve done an incredible job to get rF2 into it’s current stage of closed testing. I’m just excited to see more members of the community getting their hands on it this year (I’m thinking both the testing and initial release will be 2011)

Taken from Tim Wheatley's blog. Guess you are right :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.9%