Will this help fps in GTR-e?

Hi,

I have the following system

Asus A8N-VM-CSM (almost no OC possible, only FSB) max cpu X2 4800+ or Opteron 185.
4x512MB PC2700 (2x kingstond, 2x corsair, both DC) no more slots left.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz
Club3d ATI 1650Pro
Windows XP SP2

This yields in a 3dmark05 score of ~5300.

If I want I can upgrade my cpu to a dual core amd X2. The best would be to get a X2 4800+ but those are rare/expensive. I could get a X2 3800+ cheaper, but I am wondering whether it will help me much.

According to the list on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

It should be twice as fast, which is could for cpu intensive game like Race/Gtr-E.

Will this cpu upgrade help me? I only play GTR-e and Simcity 4.

Off course I know a upgrade of MB, Core2Duo, 4850 would be a lot better, but also a lot more expensive.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added some info, was still sleeping while typing version 1.

Normally there shouldn't be any problem simply replacing the CPU by a X2 version. (Keep in mind you have Socket 939, not AM2)
For around 70 euros (or cheaper) you should find a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ or perhaps even a 6000+ for 80-100 euro

cpu intensiveness is surely determined by how much you play with ai. if you only race online then only your cars physics need to be calculated. adding ai is going to be the big hit i'd have thought.

if you want to get the most out of what you have and your willing to look at overclocking as option then a new mobo is a possibilty since theres little demand for 939 boards anymore the prices for the ones that are about are v cheap. even possibly pick up a deal on ebay.

that said at this point id always recomend moving to new architecture if you can. even the most basic systems, with gfx aside will outperform many older top end systems. if you have an idea of budget available this would help in what to recomend.

Normally there shouldn't be any problem simply replacing the CPU by a X2 version. (Keep in mind you have Socket 939, not AM2)
For around 70 euros (or cheaper) you should find a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ or perhaps even a 6000+ for 80-100 euro
well, if you point me to a x2 for 70 euros, i'll get it instantly. I managed to find one x2 3800+ for around 60 euros. For my mobo a 4800+ is the fastest possible, but those go for around 100-120 euros.

cpu intensiveness is surely determined by how much you play with ai. if you only race online then only your cars physics need to be calculated. adding ai is going to be the big hit i'd have thought.

if you want to get the most out of what you have and your willing to look at overclocking as option then a new mobo is a possibilty since theres little demand for 939 boards anymore the prices for the ones that are about are v cheap. even possibly pick up a deal on ebay.

that said at this point id always recomend moving to new architecture if you can. even the most basic systems, with gfx aside will outperform many older top end systems. if you have an idea of budget available this would help in what to recomend.

i could upgarde the architecture but not for the 60 euros i can get a x2 3800+ for. i am just wondering if i will notice the difference.

there will be a difference but probably not a huge boost. just a smoother version of what you achieve now as your system and game wont be fighting for the same processor time all the time. you will have to download the amd multicore optimiser too. free of their website. dont know what you get over there shop-wise but many game exchage places here exchange procs as well. http://cex.co.uk is one. pretty cheap for second hand and they warranty them for 12months to so could be a more viable option for you if you have something like that nearby.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 85 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 452 39.3%