will this CPU work in my Mainboard?

So, short and sweet: I have a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 Mainboard, LGA1151 Gen.1,
BIOS version F21.
Will an i7 9700K Coffee Lake work with it? Or must I buy a new Mainboard too?
DucFreak, I need you now, are you there? :D

Just check on the manufacturer's product page, there will be details regarding CPU support. It's pretty basic stuff to find out.
Of course I already looked there, but it's confusing because they talk about Gen 6&7 CPUs, and it wasn't clear as to whether the LGA1151 v.2 CPUs would fit (sadly not, they're gen. 8&9) Oh well, a new MB too is on the shopping list :cool:

If the amount of cores is counting for you and not being an overclocker, then take also a look at AMD new Ryzen.
If wanting an i7-9700k like I have, then go for the Gigabyte Aorus series, like the Aurus Z390 pro. Reason for this is that these Aorus do have an excellent VRM in the low range serie ($200,-) but also here, if not being an overclocker guess it is just the matter of buying a board that suits your budget and needs, as SLI or good audio chipset.

No!
7700k has hyperthreading, so 8 threads unlike 6600k.
9700k has 8 cores no hyperthreading, maybe look for 9900k, 8 cores with hyperthreading for 16 threads!
Or go to AMD and Ryzen 3600 6 cores 12 threads would be a cheaper alternative or 3700 for 8 /16.

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody that replied. I just ordered the new parts for my new build, thanks to some good advice here and a lot of research. The components:
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI Mainboard
Intel i7 9700K Coffee Lake CPU
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
I'll continue using the MSI 1080 GPU for a while yet, and I already have 16gb DDR4 onboard.
Can't wait to see how it all looks after the re-build :D

Job jobbed.I just ordered this:
HyperX HX432C16PB3AK2/16 Predator 3200MHz
It's in the list you sent me a link to, the 3600 RAM costs twice as much, and isn't listed anyway, as the compatability list is from 2016 (!) The 3200MHz costs €102.70, and the 3600MHz costs nearly €190 (all prices from here in Germany, in case anybody starts with "at New Egg you can get it for such and such" )
The German customs have really got it stitched up: everything you order in the USA is so expensive: till you finally recieve it here, after Einführumsatzsteuer ( customs duty ) and MwSt. (sales tax), you'll wish that you'd ordered it in Germany in the first place. ( which is their aim anyway )

The German customs have really got it stitched up: everything you order in the USA is so expensive: till you finally recieve it here, after Einführumsatzsteuer ( customs duty ) and MwSt. (sales tax), you'll wish that you'd ordered it in Germany in the first place. ( which is their aim anyway )
I understand what you are saying but the german part is not fully correct.
Its an EU or non-EU thing.
All the extra custom and VAT fees you are talking about are added if you import from outside EU.
If you import from inside EU (to Germany) then the "extras" are about the same as if bought in Germany.
I know it because I have stopped buying from outside EU because of that.:sleep:

I understand what you are saying but the german part is not fully correct.
Its an EU or non-EU thing.
All the extra custom and VAT fees you are talking about are added if you import from outside EU.
If you import from inside EU (to Germany) then the "extras" are about the same as if bought in Germany.
I know it because I have stopped buying from outside EU because of that.:sleep:

As a self-employed Luthier that imports materials and tools from all over the world (but mainly USA), I have to tell you that while you're right in principal, you're not entirely correct about the German customs: they are especially stringent, above and beyond what the EU stipulates.
For example: all of the stuff that come from Bang good, Ali Express and the rest enters the EU through the Netherlands. And Hobby Kings European operation is based in the Netherlands too, as are many many other companies that import goods from outside the EU. Why? Because the dutch customs process the goods container-wise, for a fair price.
In Germany they process every single box, and want to know exactly what is inside, and the value of it, so they can tax it accordingly. Takes much longer, and is much more expensive.
When I recieve stuff from China, it's always been processed in the Netherlands, as that is the favorite country of entry into the EU ( for the very good reasons I've stated above )
For the transport onwards through Germany nobody in Germany is allowed to take an interest in the parcel, although they know what's going on. But their hands are tied, as it has already been processed in the Netherlands, so it can't taxed again ( thank goodness )
All my business stuff comes directly to Germany, and is processed accordingly. I have to have a so-called EORI number, which allows me to import stuff into the EU without having to pay cash on delivery (instead DHL or Fed-Ex sends me a nice invoice with their processing charges on top that makes my eyes water every time)
When I think about how many thousands of Euros I've had to pay in Customs duty and taxes over the years, I have to sit down and have a little cry :cry:
The German customs are the modern equivalent of Pirates "stand and deliver, but instead of shooting you they lock you up if you dont pay up " :D

Last edited:
Update: I have an interesting story for anyone that's interested. After recieving my new parts, and installing them all in my new Corsair Obsidian case, I was amazed and disappointed to find that the new system wouldn't boot.
Tried the new PSU in my old computer: OK. Tried the new RAM in my old computer: OK. Hmm.
Had the mainboard checked by a local computer shop ( for €49 :( )
Two days later: Yeah, it's your mainboard mate. What!, it's brand new out of the box? Well, **** happens mate. So, I sent it back and got a new one in exchange.
Installed it, and guess what? Same thing :confused: A short power flash, and then ..nothing
So I started looking around and reading up on this and that. And then I noticed that in the paper manual it says " Gen. 8 ready" On the box it says "Gen 9 ready" In the online manual it says " supports Gen 8 & 9, no mention of a possible BIOS update requirement )
And then I see on the website where I bought it ( Alternate.de ), right at the bottom in very small print " BIOS update may be necessary for Gen 9 CPUs.
You guessed it: the MB needs a f*#%&i=g BIOS update!
How to update the BIOS when the bloody 'board won't boot 'cos the CPU isn't compatible? And when you don't have a Gen 8 CPU to get it to boot so you can do a BIOS update? My old box has a Gen 7 i5 6600K, won't fit, different pins.
After consulting their tech helpline and trouble-shooting the problem, turns out there is no option but to send it back again for a BIOS update. Another week of waiting.
You would've thought that their system sees when a customer orders a MB, together with a CPU that won't run with the 'board without a BIOS update. Alarm bells ring: A quick BIOS update before they ship it off, job jobbed.
Or maybe I'm just looking for someone to blame, maybe I should've RTFM before I started. But real men never read the Manual, do they? :D I'm going off to have a little cry now..:cry:

Last edited:
Update: I have an interesting story for anyone that's interested. After recieving my new parts, and installing them all, I was amazed and disappointed to find that the new system wouldn't boot.
Tried the new PSU in my old computer: OK. Tried the new RAM in my old computer: OK. Hmm.
Had the mainboard checked by a local computer shop ( for €49 :( )
Two days later: Yeah, it's your mainboard mate. What!, it's brand new out of the box? Well, **** happens mate. So, I sent it back and got a new one in exchange.
Installed it, and guess what? Same thing :confused: A short power flash, and then ..nothing
So I started looking around and reading up on this and that. And then I noticed that in the paper manual it says " Gen. 8 ready" On the box it says "Gen 9 ready" In the online manual it says " supports Gen 8 & 9, no mention of a possible BIOS update requirement )
And then I see on the website where I bought it ( Alternate.de ), right at the bottom in very small print " BIOS update may be necessary for Gen 9 CPUs.
You guessed it: the MB needs a f*#%&i=g BIOS update!
How to update the BIOS when the bloody 'board won't boot 'cos the CPU isn't compatible? And when you don't have a Gen 8 CPU to get it to boot so you can do a BIOS update? My old box has a Gen 7 i5 6600K, won't fit, different pins.
After consulting their tech helpline and trouble-shooting the problem, turns out there is no option but to send it back again for a BIOS update. Another week of waiting.
You would've thought that their system sees when a customer orders a MB, together with a CPU that won't run with the 'board without a BIOS update. Alarm bells ring: A quick BIOS update before they ship it off, job jobbed.
Or maybe I'm just looking for someone to blame, maybe I should've RTFM before I started. But real men never read the Manual, do they? :D I'm going off to have a little cry now..:cry:
I really wonder what the guys did with the MB for 49€ :O_o:

I really wonder what the guys did with the MB for 49€ :O_o:
They tore it all apart, and said they'd tried another CPU in my board, and because it wouldn't boot, that meant that the Board was kaputt (?) Did you check the CPU? Err, no mate, we don't have a Gen 9 board to try it in (!) And I had to take it away with all the parts and screws in plastic bags, 'cos they hadn't put it back together again " No point mate, the board is kaputt anyway " The mind boggles!
I won't be going there again, what a bunch of clowns :thumbsdown:

They tore it all apart, and said they'd tried another CPU in my board, and because it wouldn't boot, that meant that the Board was kaputt (?) Did you check the CPU? Err, no mate, we don't have a Gen 9 board to try it in (!)
I won't be going there again, what a bunch of clowns :thumbsdown:
LOL... If you can't properly test stuff don't offer to test it.
Honestly if it makes you angry I would write them an email, saying just that.
Maybe they'll give you some of the money back or at least apologize for you to not finding out that your bios is not updated...

LOL... If you can't properly test stuff don't offer to test it.
Honestly if it makes you angry I would write them an email, saying just that.
Maybe they'll give you some of the money back or at least apologize for you to not finding out that your bios is not updated...
I'll be buying 5 liters of petrol and a box of matches, and I'll pay them a visit at 3 am (joke) :D

Some boards have a flash back on the rear I/0 to update bios and doesn't need a cpu. This sounds like a nightmare, all that waited and get ripped off by that cowboy techie

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 396 40.0%