Will they ever learn!?

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
A few months back there was a kind request from SimBin not to convert RACE 07 content into competing titles or titles that have been released previously by them.
So far almost every modgroup honored this code (applause!) but still some jokers can't stick to the rules and convert (steal) stuff from RACE 07 and put it into GTR 2.
http://www.virtualr.net/radical-sr3-sr4-for-gtr2-released/

Bah!

Isnt it a backward conversion?

RMi Release Group said:
we originaly released this in January 08
Release date(s) EU 12 October 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RACE_07_-_The_Official_WTCC_Game
not only are we now within this sites "rules", but SimBin had full knowledge of our release and was in some way... "permissioned" so to speak.
Full creator credits as well as links to the official game are included in the readme.

Permissioned? I highly doubt that SimBin permissioned a conversion after this...

MODDING
In the past SimBin have applauded serious modding groups and have even employed the help of some as well as recruit new employees from the groups of talented individuals. We have every intention of supporting quality mods, customs skins and all the other changes that make our games come alive with the help of dedicated modding communities across the globe. GTR Evolution underlines this statement by being relatively easy to add new and unique content for.

But… SimBin can no longer afford pouring funds into creating unique quality content for competing titles. Lately the mutual respect that used to exist seems to have vanished and now straight conversions between competing titles are done in a matter of minutes after we release a new game. Our Nürburgring and Macau are prime examples. Unless something is done to stop this we will no longer be able to afford creating quality content and with 10Tacle fresh in memory I think it is clear that some individuals in the simracing community are effectively ruining it for everyone by their actions and that there will be no more new titles unless this behavior is stopped.

Straight conversions require little skill, no imagination and it is nothing but petty theft. True mod making is the addition of NEW, fresh and unique content to a title… not stealing content for use elsewhere. I hope all of you will consider this and take matters into your own hands by not allowing these conversions in your own community.

This is a wake-up call. Things must change now if SimBin are to deliver any new titles on PC, and the change can only start with you dedicated simracers saying “enough” !

If you have ideas on how to change the way things are at the moment or what can be done to ensure a more “fair” way of modding in the future then let us know, we are interested in solutions much more than in assigning blame. The alternatives are either lawsuits which we really don’t want to resort to, moving all developments to consoles where things are not stolen, or you guys taking up the challenge and create an environment in YOUR community where conversions are not accepted. If you agree with our stance in this, then let your concern be heard in those forums and gathering points where piracy seems to be an accepted standard.

We hope you can make a difference in the battle against theft and piracy while allowing the true modders to create their works of art adding to the fun and enjoyment of everyone

I do remember a statement from Simbin saying that "forward conversions" from their back catalogue to newer titles was fine and that "backwards conversion" from their newer titles to back catalogue could be done once the newer title had been officially released for a year.

Obviously and fairly conversion to other titles like rFactor is a big NO NO.

I may be wrong, but I have to admit that I've been going by that understanding for some time (not that I'm a modder or capable of conversions myself) to be their official standing on this matter:skywalker:

that "backwards conversion" from their newer titles to back catalogue could be done once the newer title had been officially released for a year.

Can you link us to that statement? If that's true then that would be a real shock to me :( I can only come up with a reason that it is allowed with a proper cd check which is not the fact with this mod, right?

Amen, i dont find it a proper solution either. But that is so far the only type of conversion that works at least (see power and glory mod for GTR2).
But in basic it's all stealing to me..

• Kyle Evers

To be honest I just find SimBin to be a bunch of stuck-up pricks. So what if people in GTR 2 want the Radicals?

Just my opinion.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing