PC1 Will Project Cars support community mods?

I am sorry to ask this here... Hope it not wrong topic for question like this.

Maybe it's very late question, but i will ask. Game will support community mods and tracks ? I mean it's possible to import my own track in game (after release) ?

That's why i don't believe too much on this game, if it's not modding friendly i don't see it becoming "the simulator" for the coming years... (if in fact it is a simulator which i doubt, lol)

If it's like Raceroom or iRacing where you have to pay for this, pay for that i can't see it in the long run...

perhaps it won't be mod friendly but I imagine some very talented modders will be able to update tables and textures... There seems to be enough content in cars to enhance a few things...

But I guess full blown assets might be off limits... I'm encouraged that something can be "hex edited" for fine tuning. Many of the greatest mods ever have been to non mod friendly games like Medievil total war 3rd age and Falcon...

One can hope I supose, at least PC isn't an afterthought... With Oculus and quality triple screen support already added...

@Rui Santos a game doesn't need to be moddable to become popular for years in my opinion. We don't need yet another platform to see those crappy old looking conversions from GP4 to be ported to. At least I don't.

Race 06 was a good example. No modding was possible, still the game that provided me the best online racing ever. If pCars does the same and can provide the same online fun it will be a winner.

I played rFactor for more than 6 years now, and you know why? Because of mods, it's a fresh new game everytime i install a new mod. Those who played GP4 with mods (me included) had fun for long time, GT Legends still has championships around the internet, so it's not because it's an old game, simulators take too long to develop so they're supposed to last some years, if a game has no longevity it's dead after 2/3 years...

You have your preferences, others have theirs. Thats the great thing of simracing that there is a game for everyone with specific needs.

I am the opposite of you: i want licensed top quality content created by real developers and I don't settle for a mod.

You have your preferences, others have theirs. Thats the great thing of simracing that there is a game for everyone with specific needs.

I am the opposite of you: i want licensed top quality content created by real developers and I don't settle for a mod.

That's unrespectful with modders, some of them do amazing if not superior job than that "top quality content" made by companies (i assume default cars), i don't really know what's your point and what you mean according to my experience unless... you're a fan of iRacing? As far as i remember all simulators had mods!

Why is that unrespectful to modders? So because its free content I must praise all the modders in the world and tell how great they are?

90% of the mods in rFactor 1 wouldn't make a single penny if they were sold as a product due to the terrible state they are in. The other 10% that is (top) quality I have played and still play on regular basis and enjoy them but with a few exceptions they aren't the same kind of quality I get from developers hence I go for that latter solution.

And no, not an iRacing fan. Neither a rFactor, GSC or Assetto Corsa fan, i am a simracing fan.

200,000 sim racers, 200,000 different flavors.

I didn't said "all", you must calm down because you're getting blind with your idea and not reading what i'm writing...

Anyway can you tell me what top quality content you bought in last, let's say... 2 years that were superior to those 10% free mods?

It's all about mods...

Longevity=mods

Sure: Game Stock Car Extreme, DTM Experience, Assetto Corsa, Formula Truck, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and next on the must have list is Project CARS

Ok, i have all those games too, also rF2, except ETS2 and what about mods? Why don't you find too much championships around internet on some of those titles and rFactor1 still gathers big part of the audience? I have no doubt rF2 and AC will be the big games for the future of online racing, guess why?

Cheers.

Why not just agree that we have a different opinion on modding. You are passionate about it (which is totally fine) and I am not so much (which is also fine). :thumbsup:

Why would anyone want free community made mods of whole seasons, race series, up to date liveries etc? Why would anyone want them when they can line the pockets of greedy devs and buy worthless DLC that adds the odd car or paint scheme.

We all have different opinions, but mine is squarely on the side of games that support mods and not actively go against them in order to sell DLC. The modding community is what has made PC sim racing and PC gaming in general so much better than anything else.
I also agree that there is a place for no modding in race sims and the compatibility it brings to on-line racing. So each to their own I suppose. I just think that any race sim that does not allow modding will only have a very short shelf life.

The trouble is, companies want to see console style gaming with no chance of modding on the PC and I don't really blame them. After all, it's all about money in the long term.

It's really good to have different opinions on the subject. :thumbsup:

I tend to agree with @Bram Hengeveld. While modded content is great and can certainly give a fresh spin on an old sim, modders simply do not have the resources the dev team does. They may inside information (like data taken from the actual car) here and there, but how many laser scanned mods are there with the level of attention to detail and information that official cars and tracks have? Really its all about what you enjoy the most, how accurate it is doesn't really matter. But for me, I don't play these games for fantasy cars and tracks, I play them for the realism and accuracy. So while mods can indeed be very high quality, the official content is (almost) always higher quality overall.

As for lining the pockets of the dev team - sim racing is as we all know a relatively small market. Whatever helps the developers to produce games at a higher quality I am fine with. So if they need to put out paid DLC a few months or a year after release, that's no skin off my back. Everyone has to earn a living, they shouldn't be persecuted for trying increase their income. After all, its not as if it is some sort of scam that leaves us broke and without any benefit.

In hopes that some "quantum-human" entanglement does not produce a bad reaction...

While modded content is great and can certainly give a fresh spin on an old sim,

Ryan, modding did more than "give a fresh spin" on "old sims". What you qualify today as "old" were back then "new", "novel", "sophisticated", and these "old" sims grew HUGELY due to the community around them - part of that community were modders, and a large part of that community respected and enjoyed the work of modders.

modders simply do not have the resources the dev team does. They may inside information (like data taken from the actual car) here and there,

Good point.

I know several modders who are consultants for racing teams, car manufacturers; some of them are/were race car engineers and some are actual race drivers.

From experience and what devs tell, no way in heaven devs/publishers have access to the kind of data they/we have. Period.

But the resources (in terms of man power, software and hardware) gathered by dev studios are orders of magnitude larger than any modding group have ever had. Period.

However: bigger resources do not NECESSARILY guarantee (a) the quality of the product and (b) not even the fidelity of the product. Quite the contrary.

I play them for the realism and accuracy. So while mods can indeed be very high quality, the official content is (almost) always higher quality overall.

I too "play them" for the realism and accuracy" when I find "them"...but we disagree on the "very high quality" and the "official" content being "(almost always) higher quality overall".

Everyone has to earn a living, they shouldn't be persecuted for trying increase their income.

And no one is persecuting them. Some people don't like modding and are most happy that something like PCARS will not have modding. Others wanted that capability. Some voice their anti-modding sentiments, others voice their pro-modding sentiments. Some want to restrict the enjoyment of others (by either cutting corners on "realism" or by putting a stop to modding); others want to create a bigger and better community via the decades old avenue of modding.

That's all.

Last edited:
Point taken. Thats a good argument and very true.

The thing is that sim development is changing. Look at Kunos with Assetto Corsa, their office is located second story on the main straight at Vallelunga Circuit in Italy. They take almost every car in the game around the track themselves to both collect data, and to see how the car actually feels. Tbh I'm not sure how much of this sort of thing has been done with pCARS, but I just want to show how it has evolved into something different from being done the way gaming giants like Codemasters do things.

But I suppose we are getting a bit off topic aren't we?:p

As far as I know pCARS does not support open modding. I'm sure it is possible to be done, as it has been done with games like F1 20xx, which certainly doesn't support modding.

The thing is that sim development is changing. Look at Kunos with Assetto Corsa, their office is located second story on the main straight at Vallelunga Circuit in Italy. They take almost every car in the game around the track themselves to both collect data, and to see how the car actually feels. Tbh I'm not sure how much of this sort of thing has been done with pCARS, but I just want to show how it has evolved into something different from being done the way gaming giants like Codemasters do things.

Good point, no doubt.

I am tempted to agree...but then I remember what happened in flight simming.

We had the Falcon series, we had the Flanker series. We had Jane's F-15, Jane's F/A-18 (what a great great great community we built), F16 Aggressor, Mig Alley (another great community and development team built), BoB and Oleg's IL-2. All prodigious study sims (perhaps BoB and IL2 not so much). Then the era of study sims was terminated by the usual excuse (costs and profits) and on came the multi-aircraft sims era (LO:MAC the most obvious).

I can't quite believe we're going in the direction of the study sims in regards to racing sims. By study sims I don't mean the kind of "study sims" we had back then in flight sims, but rather the dedication to detail for EACH car.

From experience, after modding dozens of cars and checking their data versus real life data, after talking to developers, it's at least to me most clear: there's simply no time nor inclination nor any kind of allowance (from publishers and dev studios) to pursue such levels of details (VERY HIGH) in current racing sims. Whatever the sim, all sorts of glaring errors (be them in algorithms or data calibrations) occur. I don't see that changing any time soon.

In the case of a really major development studio I visited last year, programmers/project managers/professional racing drivers take the cars to the track and perform extensive tests. Promising, it looks. But then...modelling starts, calibration data models are generated and...

...and to say the least, things "change". And not for the better.

As far as I know pCARS does not support open modding.

In my case: if modding isn't open, I will not be one to hex-edit it or reverse engineer it somehow. Period. I wish the core team of CARS the best, I wish CARS turns out to be one heck of a great sim but if it isn't I will not lose my sleep or much time over it.

Like you, I want realism (even if not at 100%). Anything short of that gets the boot. [Which reminds me, CL matches have started. Bye now.]

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 159 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 434 39.6%