Will offline racing require online connection?

As per title (and apologies if it's been asked before - I couldn't find the question itself or any response), if I want to play single player against the AI or hot lapping, or even just for starting up the game, will I need an active connection to the tinterweb?

Cheers for any forthcoming answer :thumbsup:

First of all, development cycle and longevity of a game\sim isn't the same.
just like GTR2 its alive even today...

It's within your right to support the company, if it works for you.
At the same time you have nothing to lose from this thread.
I do however,if they keep it online.

So because I would love to have it and work with it,I asked here...

I know others as well who are not that interested,or not at all in new games because of such measures.

you can still love a company and their work,and still criticize the bad bits.there is nothing wrong with that,

I like to see threads like this where people discuss important questions and i understand your "modder" point of view ... your wish make all sense and there is nothing wrong criticizing what you think its "bad bits" ... also i think Kunos will keep it offline cause they dont look the kind of company to make that kind of restrictions but im sure if they do it its in a way to keep the company financial competitive and keep groing and developing better sims ... and to me that is more important that anything else (SimRacing related).

We should allways see the 2 sides of the corner ...keep it offline will have good things and bad things ... i just thrust them to decide what is the best way to make them stronger and keep doing the good job

It´s an interesting discussion for sure, you have modders on one side wanting offline and the other you want a small safety net (like Steam)

At the end of the day i don´t think AC will be the victim of any large-scale piracy to be honest.
The sim community to me seems like a extremely loyal group because we know we are a minority and if we would do that stuff there would not be anymore simracing.
We just can´t afford to not support simracing developers.

The sim community to me seems like a extremely loyal group because we know we are a minority and if we would do that stuff there would not be anymore simracing.

Im afraid the "minority" financial support will not be enough to make Kunos grow and keep improving the "sim" standards ... for that i think they also need the financial support from the "arcade majority" ... all the driving assistance options they are implementing in AC is to make AC more accessible to that majority ... and if they succed thats when the large-scale piracy will begin ... and if piracy succed im afraid they will not have enough financial motivation to keep doing the job ...

Im just putting myself on Kunos place ... looking for the hours they are working on ... all the investments they make in licenses, scanned tracks, ... and wondering how can they be paid for all that and invest more in future projects with just a few hundred simracers?

For me a bare minimum, is to leave single race open,you will be available to have one car and one track from stock content.much like a demo,plus any modding work you might have.

I do not need much more to work with...
as for updates if you could authorize the update proccess,you can backup the installer of the update.

for the multiplayer there is no reason to argue because it needs internet in the first place,they can put anything they like there...

Im just putting myself on Kunos place ... looking for the hours they are working on ... all the investments they make in licenses, scanned tracks, ... and wondering how can they be paid for all that and invest more in future projects with just a few hundred simracers?

Every developer considers that kind of stuff.It's a decision they took.
And AC probably is made for the love of simracing and cars, than making a lot money.The way modders do stuff as well.
I'm not implying that they do not need funds.

Most software developers know the saying. "You have to compete with free".

If someone wants to do something, There are many excuses for sure.. Well free to play is not free actually. This business model hopes to make player buy assets in order to expand the game, or in other cases take advantage over the non paying players.

there will be no "internet required" protection on AC. The system is going to be very similar to nkp, actually, a bit simpler. Not much time has been invested in making it hacker proof, because it's a loosing battle anyway and I rather spend my time working on something paying user will enjoy than trying to stop a bunch of losers.

Of course it's a gamble, actually I also proposed to release AC drm-free, but the other guys didn't like that. It's time users take responsibilities for their actions.. want race sims? don't skidrow them... if that doesn't work for us, the team will probably scatter around working on other titles that have nothing to do with race sims.

there will be no "internet required" protection on AC. The system is going to be very similar to nkp, actually, a bit simpler. Not much time has been invested in making it hacker proof, because it's a loosing battle anyway and I rather spend my time working on something paying user will enjoy than trying to stop a bunch of losers.

Of course it's a gamble, actually I also proposed to release AC drm-free, but the other guys didn't like that. It's time users take responsibilities for their actions.. want race sims? don't skidrow them... if that doesn't work for us, the team will probably scatter around working on other titles that have nothing to do with race sims.

Really thanks for answering.
nkp requires to contact the server in order to activate the license.( I just bought it). Now if i can backup those files and be able to reuse them. its perfectly fine by me.

I'm extremely happy that you replied with no Internet required.That means I will be able to experience AC at any time,and mod it as well:)

Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the answer, Kunos. I think not needing to be connected to play will actually make more people want the game since I know many of them avoid games with such "always online" measures. For pirates it makes no difference, though I know a reason pirates may actually buy the game later is if it has a good multiplayer (which is why most games are multiplayer now). That is of course, if pirates can't access the multiplayer, I'm not sure how difficult it is, but most pirated games have blocked multiplayer so I guess AC could be safe on this aspect.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.3%