PC2 Will my laptop run PCars 2?

Hello, I would like to ask if my laptop would run Project Cars 2? Here are the specs:
Model: Lenovo Y50-70
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ 4-core at 2.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX860M alongside Intel HD4600 integrated
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 1TB SSHD with a 1TB USB external HDD
Screen resolution: 1920x1080

Thanks if you respond.

Well there aren't official system requirements yet but from how it looks for me on videos you will be able to play it, when you can play pcars 1.
Just with slightly lower settings! :)
Do you tried pcars 1? I think it should run smoothly on low settings, the 860m isn't the strongest gpu but not the weakest too.
CPU should be fine! Only with a full AI grid it could be too much.

Hope it helps a bit!

It all depends on how much eye candy you want. I'm enjoying pCars 2 on a much worse system than yours (i7 3630qm, nvidia 675mx graphics). Granted, I have everything set to absolute lowest settings possible and no anti-aliasing.. then I run the game at 720p. Yeah, it's perhaps not pretty to look at but I can run most tracks with full fields of AI opponents at an almost 100% locked 60fps.

Does Pcars2 favor GPU or CPU power more? I am just wondering what will have the greatest effect on frame rates, going to a core I9 processor with higher clock speed, or would it favor more cores at a lower clock speed. Or would I get more benefit to sell my 2016 Titan sli setup and go with the 2017 Titan X in sli? I run a Core I7 5960 extreme and 2016 Titan Pascal in sli and was able to achieve a steady 90-100 fps in Pcars1 with a resolution of 7710 x 1440 bezel corrected. Just wondering if there is any benefit to pushing it any further. My monitors will do 144 hz but haven't seen anything that will run that fast with all the eye candy on at that rez.

Last edited:
I'd say both.. but if you run out of CPU juice, then it suddenly goes all wonky with stutters and weirdness. So at the very least, make sure you have a quite powerful CPU. You can always turn down the graphics candy until it runs on even the most basic GPU. You can't turn down anything really to correct CPU usage.. perhaps dropping the amount of AI would help a bit but not much.. the main grunt is used for the physics in pCars.

CPU... Most sims will favor CPU over GPU due to all of the processing behind the scenes.
I see that with the upcoming release of the Core I9 it seems the more cores they add the slower the Clock speed on the CPU gets. I guess we will have to wait and see if Pcars2 can make use of additional cores, or will it favor a higher clock speed.

I'd say both.. but if you run out of CPU juice, then it suddenly goes all wonky with stutters and weirdness. So at the very least, make sure you have a quite powerful CPU. You can always turn down the graphics candy until it runs on even the most basic GPU. You can't turn down anything really to correct CPU usage.. perhaps dropping the amount of AI would help a bit but not much.. the main grunt is used for the physics in pCars.
No doubt you don't want stutters racing, pretty rare if that happens on my machine. When we ran Pcars1 I got a dedicated server for like $8 a month that had great bandwidth and made the racing smoother for everyone. Still with a lot of cars that's a lot of work for the CPU to keep track of it all on each machine let alone the server. The advances in GPU technology in the last few years have been mind boggling to say the least. I will wait to see what my frame rates are and how much eye candy I can leave on before I replace those 2 Titans in sli. Just seems some titles favor one over the other. Codemasters has a bad habbit of being cpu heavy and usually they don't have proper sli implementation upon initial release. Pcars1 seemed pretty good in that area on day 1 so hopefully that tradition will continue.

Don't rush to upgrade Skidmeister, your PC is plenty strong to run it smoothly at reasonable fps. Once you get the game running you can judge if you want to spend more. If money is not a hindrance, knock yourself out!
Money is always an object lol. But I don't mind investing a bit more if the payout is worth the price. No doubt I will wait and see how this runs on my system first, but always curious to see what can be done with bleeding edge technology. It's way easier to upgrade gpu's than cpu for me. Seems like they keep going to different processor socket every few years now, so you end up having to replace the motherboard and ram as well. I often sell my old system while it is still relatively fresh so it is still worth something, and then re-invest that into a newer model. A lot of people don't like building systems and are quick to buy mine as they are ready to go when they get them, with little or no tweaking required.

I see that with the upcoming release of the Core I9 it seems the more cores they add the slower the Clock speed on the CPU gets. I guess we will have to wait and see if Pcars2 can make use of additional cores, or will it favor a higher clock speed.

IIRC, there wasn't much of a benefit of PC1 beyond 4 cores (i.e. the AMD 6-core CPU's didn't gain any additional performance). With that, I would say anything beyond 4-cores isn't going to aid as much has clock speeds.

Hi Guys

I'm not brilliant when it comes to PCs and specs. but i have been getting a racing rig set up for my dad ( he was in a serious motorbike accident and lost the use of his right leg and arm) im hoping this will give him something to do rather than just watching TV and help to stop him becoming more depressed.

His PC Spec is:

Intel Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.5Ghz
16GB Ram
Nividia Geforce GTX680

Would this be able to play Project Cars 2 or would i be better of buying him Project Cars 1 until i can afford to upgrade his PC?

also are there many people still playing PC1 online?

Thanks

Sam

Hello Sam,
first of all I'm sorry for what happened to your dad and I hope that sooner or later he will recover at least partially.

About your PC config I think that the video card is the weak point, however you can test both pCars 1 & 2 downloading their demos from Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/429180/Project_CARS__Pagani_Edition/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/378860/Project_CARS_2/ (click on the button "Download Demo")

Both games have basically the same graphic settings but pCars2 is better optimized so it should give better results.

I'm running pCars2 with the same GPU and a worse CPU, it runs in full HD at medium settings and can even run it in VR with lowest settings, but the GPU is still a bit old, so I would look into upgrading it during next year

Thats Brilliant thanks guys , will point my dad in this direction once he gets up to speed and hopefully get him racing with you all. Hopefully this will give him enjoyment and an interest in something again :)

Thanks again guys

I run PCars 2 on a i3 4130 and GTX 1060 3gb.
The whole PC cost me £400. I run all the sims on it and i have a guy local who has said he'll upgrade my CPU to a i5 or i7 but to be honest it works great as it is.
Once i'd fiddled around with PCars 2 it runs well.
For £400 i really can't complain, my whole system, games / TX wheel, TPa pro pedals, game seat TV sound system comes in under £1000...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%