Will Mercedes Get Tyre'd Tomorrow?

I think I uderstand just fine. They're moaning because they aren't able to win because they made a car to be the fastest over one lap and forgot there is no points for pole.
yea... you really don´t understand.

I especially love the part where they (according to you) scrapped Sundays and said "well F it, let´s design a car to be good on Saturday´s instead, then complain about it after"....
but i can tell you i´m not surprised by that logic applied (or lack of) judging by previous posts.

yea... you really don´t understand.

I especially love the part where they (according to you) scrapped Sundays and said "well F it, let´s design a car to be good on Saturday´s instead, then complain about it after"....
but i can tell you i´m not surprised by that logic applied (or lack of) judging by previous posts.
I'm sorry Hampus but where did I say they scrapped sunday? I thought I said that they just failed to design the car according to this years design specification.

I'm sorry Hampus but where did I say they scrapped sunday? I thought I said that they just failed to design the car according to this years design specification.
My eyes must be faulty then.
"they made a car to be the fastest over one lap and forgot there is no points for pole."

I really wish that you would say that you are just joking but i have a funny feeling you are not..
I just love the bit "and forgot there is no points for pole"

As if they showed up to AUS and said "ohh now i remember, it was on Sundays the points were given out...bloody hell this is truly embarrassing"

Do you really think that I actually think they forgot about race distance? They didn't forget they just didn't do the best job designing the car to be fast over a full race on the tyres they knew they were going to have.

Interesting article....

But regardless of what led Pirelli to want to change, the change would favor Red Bull?
A change to a tougher tire would probably help Red Bull, yes, particularly a tougher front tire. According to Pirelli itself – which sees the data from all the cars – the Red Bull RB9 has so much more fast-corner downforce than the others, it would be dominating every race if the tires didn't apply a certain equalizing factor. A more robust tire would allow more of the Red Bull's potential to be accessed.

So how does a tire do that? How can a tire prevent the fastest car being the fastest when they are on all the same tire?
By having a tire that cannot support the forces generated by the fastest car. The Pirelli tires are unusual in that, beyond a certain point, the faster you go, the faster you destroy the tire and this has been apparent at the more demanding fast-corner tracks ever since Pirelli first came in as the F1 control tire supplier in 2011. Teams with the fastest cars have often had to take downforce off them – actually making them slower – in order to find the optimum trade-off between outright speed and the stint lengths necessary for the best stop strategies. It has had the effect of bringing the very fastest car back down to the level of being merely competitive, applying a certain artificial leveling.

http://app.racer.com/mobile/pages/apparticle.aspx?pagetypeid=128&articleid=294013

Best cars on the grid penalized to equalize the field. This is the state of Formula 1 today.

It´s worth noting that Red Bull have played around with it´s rear wing, introducing a low DF wing.
Not sure if they have raced it yet though.

Monaco showed some interesting things as well.

RBR, Mercedes covered by 3 tenths.

Ferrari, Lotus 7 tenths away from the nearest Red Bull. That´s not far from a whole second.
Which they were from taking pole today...
These tires are flattering their cars in the races like crazy.

The engineers are tasked with building the car that performs best under the given conditions, which obviously includes the tyres. Ferrari and Lotus did a better job at that, it's that simple.
If it only was that simple..
I doubt both Ferrari and Lotus knows why their cars handle so well on these tires.
Well apart from the fact that both their subpar cars(relatively speaking) is not penalized by the tires compared to superior cars with superior downforce as proven by Pirelli.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back